What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ooma...

john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org
Any Ooma users on these forums looking into using the Ooma app? If so, what are your plans for it? I.E. How does it fit into your arsenal and become useful?

Regards,

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad makes for an absolutely terrible mobile phone. I may as well place calls from a
DynaTAC. How many iPad users do not have a cell?

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
John, the iPad is too big and ungainly to carry as a phone. It has to depend on a virtual keypad. The mic is unsuited to voice calls. The speaker is not well-located for voice calls.
There is no standby function to receive calls. All entirely forgivable as it was never designed as a phone. Unlike the many dozens of devices that make phone a primary function.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Any Ooma users on these forums looking into using the Ooma app? If so, what are your plans for it? I.E. How does it fit into your arsenal and become useful?

Regards,

Yep, I use ooma at my house. Its great!!!
No phone bills, just buy the ooma device and thats it. All phones in my house then work like normal but go over the internet instead of landline.

I'm waiting for the iphone/ipad app for a few reasons.
#1 check voicemail messages
#2 I always have my iPad with me where ever I go. If my cellphone ever dies I will have the ooma app as a backup.

and for those who think using VOIP on an iphone/iPad is horrible, thats just not right. I have used VOIP many times with my iPhone and it has worked very well, even over 3G.

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have used Skype from my iPad and it was great as both my husband and I could talk at the same time to our daughter in the UK. She could hear us clearly and we could hear her clearly too.

Samurai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had OOMA since the first day when I gambled $399 on an unknown company and product for free long distance and a second line. One of my finest gambles:D So when I heard about the mobile service, I signed up, and bought the app. I get the 250 minutes free as a "charter" OOMA subscriber, so my cost will probably be limited to that 9.99 of the app. I did try it - called my son on his cell phone, using just the built in mike and speakers and it worked fine. I don't plan on using it as my regular phone, but it could save me minutes in a pinch (I strictly use prepaid wireless) or be a backup. Guess I should invest in a headphone/mic - any suggestions for something small?

I am happy it is available as an option.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad makes for an absolutely terrible mobile phone. I may as well place calls from a
DynaTAC. How many iPad users do not have a cell?
I agree, but going to Germany I am hoping to be able to use Text Plus and Whistle to call and text my wife for free for the next 5 weeks.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh hell yes, free international calling would make me overlook just about every hardware shortcoming. But I still wouldn't want to be juggling an iPad call while boarding a train at the Bahnhoff or trying to squeeze my way into a crowded Straßenbahn.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I dont like how they are charging 1.9 cents per minute when my ooma service is free.

I was about to buy the app($9.99) but decided not to since I really wouldnt be making many calls anyway. What would be nice though is to just get voicemail messages via the iPad.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
You can get the google vmail through google voice if you want to have it answer all your missed calls.

I already have ooma at my house to make unlimited free calls and was going to get the iphone app since I already have ooma service. I've already got other VoIP iphone apps to make free calls with I was just hoping the ooma app would have access to my voicemail messages and the option to make free calls from my ooma number.

bukzin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Samurai said:
I have had OOMA since the first day when I gambled $399 on an unknown company and product for free long distance and a second line. One of my finest gambles:D So when I heard about the mobile service, I signed up, and bought the app. I get the 250 minutes free as a "charter" OOMA subscriber, so my cost will probably be limited to that 9.99 of the app. I did try it - called my son on his cell phone, using just the built in mike and speakers and it worked fine. I don't plan on using it as my regular phone, but it could save me minutes in a pinch (I strictly use prepaid wireless) or be a backup. Guess I should invest in a headphone/mic - any suggestions for something small?

I am happy it is available as an option.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I use the little white headset that came with my iPhone, has a built in mic and works great.

Found some on eBay and ordered 5 more for a dollar each.

My iPad works well with it. With Google Voice or Line2, makes a very affordable phone with free calls anywhere in US.

Try it out!

Most reactions

Latest posts