What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official iPad3 Jailbreak Thread

jawa6306

iPF Noob
Reaction score
+1.

And for the record - I never erase my iPad before JB. I didn't even have to backup. If you bought your iPad 3 already at 5.1 and updated to 5.1.1 then the jailbreak happens in the background. It doesn't erase a single setting of your iPad. Very convenient with Absinthe. That was one of Absinthe's real selling points when it was developed for the 5.0.1 JB - that it could happen in the background WITHOUT THE NEED FOR AN ERASE OR RESTORE. The only people who need a full restore are people already jailbroken on their iPad at 5.0.1.

If you're already jailbroken at a lower iOS version, an Erase All Contents will put your iPad in a never ending loop and it will never turn back on. You must do an iTunes full restore going from one jailbreak to another.

Not true and not true...

I had to restore my 3 which was never jailbroken but my 2 which was jailbroken on 5.0.1 updated and was jailbroke fine without a restore.

The 3 took 15 tries before I had to restore but the 2 jailbroke on the first try.

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not true and not true...

I had to restore my 3 which was never jailbroken but my 2 which was jailbroken on 5.0.1 updated and was jailbroke fine without a restore.

The 3 took 15 tries before I had to restore but the 2 jailbroke on the first try.
With due respect then you did something wrong or there's something wrong with the cable you used or Absinthe running off PC or Linux. With MacOS Absinthe my iPad 3 was jailbroken in 5 minutes. No erase - no restore. I had just upgraded to 5.1.1 yesterday. it went flawlessly - I lost nothing. 5 minutes before it was stock - 5 minutes later it was identical just JB'ed. Again I used the MacOS Absinthe. Couldn't have been any easier. I jailbroke my iPad 2 on 5.0.1 same way just as easily several months ago.

Last edited:

pego99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many many thanks to the brilliant and hard working team that created this genius jb application.

jawa6306

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well my iPad2 and iPhone 4S took about 4 minutes a piece. All my devices were updated just prior to starting the JB and I performed a hard reset just prior to plugging it in. There's not much else to do. I used the same cable for each of the jailbreaks.

Personally I think it was a bug in the 2.0 software because I had no hang-ups in the 2.0.1 absinthe.

From personal experience it is really a crap shoot jailbreaking. It only takes a small bit of data in the wrong place to hang the tool up.

ralta123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys, how do I go about removing the 5.1.1 jailbreak?

Is it just a simple restore on itunes, then jailbreak again?

Thanks

LeonKaiser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried doing the JB with neither backup nor hard reset. After trying for I think 10 times, it still didn't work. I then reset & erased all programs & settings from the settings menu in the ipad. After doing this for I think 5 times, didn't work either. Lastly I followed Trasher's instructions, this time restoring the ipad using itunes. This did the trick, just did it once. Great! :)

altimax98

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As for the cydia errors:

1: if you get a "cannot locate package file" error then go into cydia and go to changes then hit refresh. You may need to do this multiple times and wait a while, once it's done your packages will be there. Cydia will them do this on each opening of the app.

2: if you get a 500 internal server error then keep trying, sometimes many many times especially for the popular ones. This is just a general time out error due to server load today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

srkhn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a tutorial or something for cydia ? looks so complicated. and best apps are paid :D Is it normal ?

Thanks...

Synaptic13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a tutorial or something for cydia ? looks so complicated. and best apps are paid :D Is it normal ?

Thanks...

Lol...yes its normal to pay for quality apps! Jailbreak apps or normal! Remember a developer in cydias market spend just as much time creating cool and useful tweaks/tools as a app store one does.:)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

pintelho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys i cant install themes why? First time Jb but i have winterboard, downloaded themes and activated them via winterboard but only the cydia logo app is the only one that changes..why cant i install themes properly, on ipad 3

Synaptic13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys i cant install themes why? First time Jb but i have winterboard, downloaded themes and activated them via winterboard but only the cydia logo app is the only one that changes..why cant i install themes properly, on ipad 3

Same here...well a few changed in one theme...pretty sure they just need to updated:)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

pintelho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For example in that picture only 2 icons changed..I installed over 5 themes but nothing chases beside that..can someone help me please!

Attachments

• image-1996873090.jpg
    image-1996873090.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 331

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
More than likely it's because Apple has changed stuff around in the iPad3 file system. As today is the first time we've been able to access and see the files, it's not surprising that things are different. Why should Apple make things easy on us? :)

We'll just have to wait and see if a themes can develop a theme for the iPad3 - or maybe work one up ourselves. IOW, it's too new. We can't expect themes to work on the retina iPad...

Marilyn

Raghav_K

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok successfully jailbroken.... for some reason absinthe failed in mac, n i had to switch to linux to jailbreak...

ok so now what next to do after jailbreak??? is there a list of must have jailbrak apps :)

Most reactions