What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official iPad3 Jailbreak Thread

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
it might be a dumb questions but better check than sorry: i am on 4.3.3 JB via jialbreakme.com about 1 year ago. can i just go and update to 5.01 and then jailbreka with absinthe ?
is there a thread on this maybe somewhere? cydia also says i have the blobs for 4.3.3 5.01 and 5.1 - is that possible even though i only had 4.3.3 on the ipad 2?

thanks!

Do you have an iPad2 or iPad1? If you have an iPad1, then yes, you can use that 5.0.1 SHSH blob to create a custom firmware and then use it to upgrade your iPad to that iOS. Then you jail break it.

However, if you have an iPad2, then no, you cannot upgrade to iOS 5.0.1. Even with saved blobs, the programs to build custom firmware will not work on the newer iPad.

All you can do is sit tight on iOS 4.3.3 and when/if a jail break is released for iOS 5.x, upgrade to that iOS and then jail break it.

Hope this clarified.

Marilyn

klaxhu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for this. I have an ipad2. How comes that some people have ipad2 that are jailbroken then!?
Did they buy them with 5.01 and were able to jb directly!? Thanks again!!

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Dev team blog has been updated to reflect that a5 devices can be downgraded to 5.0.1

Last edited:

jwjohnson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for this. I have an ipad2. How comes that some people have ipad2 that are jailbroken then!?
Did they buy them with 5.01 and were able to jb directly!? Thanks again!!
Your iPad2 had to either come with 5.01 or you upgraded to 5.01 when Apple was signing 5.01. You can no longer go to 5.01 on an iPad2 if you are not there already because apple stopped signing that version shortly after releasing 5.1. If you have 5.01 on your iPad2 you can still Jailbreak with Absinthe.

klaxhu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your iPad2 had to either come with 5.01 or you upgraded to 5.01 when Apple was signing 5.01. You can no longer go to 5.01 on an iPad2 if you are not there already because apple stopped signing that version shortly after releasing 5.1. If you have 5.01 on your iPad2 you can still Jailbreak with Absinthe.

so it seems i didnt get **** form what i have read. so what are the blobs good for then ? :(

jwjohnson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have blobs saved for 5.01 then this thread may be of interest to you. Looks like there is a way now to upgrade to 5.1.1 and then go back to 5.0.1 which you should be able to jailbreak. I haven't looked into it yet, but it sounds interesting. (This is the reason they tell you to always save blobs. They may not help at the moment, but they could in the future. It looks like the future is now.)
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/69625-exciting-shsh-blobs-news-ipad2-ipad3-owners.html

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so it seems i didnt get **** form what i have read. so what are the blobs good for then ? :(
Jailbreaks come out for a specific iOS version. It helps people with devices only at that version. If you upgrade to a higher iOS (by accident) or buy a new product with a higher version then you have to wait til the next jailbreak is available. The SHSH blobs are helpful to people who have iPhone 4 and iPad 1 because the devs found a boot rom exploit in those models that will allow downgrading to an iOS version that already has a jailbreak available IF you have saved blobs for that iOS version. It's a little hard to understand I know.

Basically speaking iPad1 and iPhone 4 people will always have easy jailbreak paths. iPhone 4S, iPad 2 and iPad 3 people will have long waits when they buy a new one and should learn to never upgrade to a new iOS version until the jailbreak for it is out. At the present SHSH blobs are pretty useless to iPhone 4S, iPad 2&3 people.

klaxhu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks all for your answers! i am not in a rush ...4.3.3 works just fine but every 1 year i check for what is new and if its work upgrading. i bought my ipad 2 1 year ago just when the jb was out ... :)

kiLLeen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good news for all who don't know, pod2g has a working 5.1/5.1.1 Jailbreak for iPad 3,1 and he is working on a installer tool for it. He said it should be released soon on twitter.

karthikdoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kiLLeen said:
Good news for all who don't know, pod2g has a working 5.1/5.1.1 Jailbreak for iPad 3,1 and he is working on a installer tool for it. He said it should be released soon on twitter.

Oh tats welcome news...keep us updated,hope my ipad will get a jailbreak soon..,

Uinluan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok is it coming out? I have seen claims on websites saying he said its not coming out, some say it won't be out for weeks, and then I have seen posts that says it is dropping any minute. Just trying to wade through all the rumors and find out the truth.

kiLLeen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By soon I mean a week or two, so yes he did confirm he is releasing it to the public.

h3kt1c

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This was recently posted by pod2g on his blog.... here is the link to the blog http://t.co/88EGYnYW

MONDAY, MAY 14, 2012

5.1.x untethered jailbreak FAQ

I receive lots of questions either by email or twitter about the 5.1.x untethered jailbreak.

Here are some answers :
  • The poll about releasing now or waiting for 6.0 ended with a 64% / 33% to release ASAP. Where is the link ? ETA ? How much % done ? etc.

As I said earlier in twitter, there's still a lot to do to have a user friendly and well tested tool to install the jailbreak on end users devices. Expect a release in a couple of weeks.
  • Will it be compatible with my <any random iOS device> ?

It will be compatible with any device running iOS 5.1.1 except ATV3 (right now, may change in a near future, nobody knows).

Yeah, I said _any_ , which means yeah <your iOS device>.
  • Why is it so slow to release now that the iPad 3,1 has been demoed ?

There are 16 different devices out there to work on and to test. It takes time.
  • May I be a beta tester ?

No, sorry. Only really trusted people (that can be counted on one hand) could have access to the jailbreak. I don't want any leak to happen.
  • What if I offer you 1,000,000$ ?

That doesn't change a thing.
Be patient, it's gonna happen.

See you my friends.

~pod2g

Last edited:

sandisk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought my iPad but I still dont understand why most people are jailbreaking the iPad. Even the salesman at the Apple Store recommended me to jailbreak it but I refused..because I want to maintain its 'virginity'. Is it because we can download paid apps for free?

Most reactions

Latest posts