What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official iPad2 Jailbreak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BartuHTC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I just wanted to warn every one about this "tweak" that installs Siri on your iPad...DON'T DO IT!!! I had to COMPLETELY RESTORE and JAILBREAK my iPad 2!!! I got stuck at the Apple logo & it would NOT reboot! Luckily I could get into DFU mode to restore! EVERYONE is having issues with this! The instructions were released by jailbreakhow.net which has been a reliable source for JB info. The instructions however were released by absinthejailbreak . org...I am JUST NOW getting my iPad all set up AGAIN after getting it JB'd the other day!!!! AVOID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've used that tweak over a month with no issue, are you sure you installed iPad version?

Swiped with HTC Trace on Desire S using Endymion 3.5 with HTC Sense 3.5
I also have an iPad 2 iOS5.1.1, jailbroken by pod2g.

glassheart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
how many mb is the ipsw file firmware 5.1.1? is it 737.49MB? i'm having problem restoring, it will prompt that my firmware file is corrupt, though i haven't updated my itunes. Could this be the reason why?

glassheart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
and also can i deactivate DFU mode, how? can i be able to get back on my previous settings without any problems? it was jailbroken already

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
how many mb is the ipsw file firmware 5.1.1? is it 737.49MB? i'm having problem restoring, it will prompt that my firmware file is corrupt, though i haven't updated my itunes. Could this be the reason why?

That's about the right size for the firmware. From where are you trying to get it? We have links to the official firmware here, if you need it (they are fine, I've used them): http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=24939

And yes, your iTunes should be as up-to-date as exists. The latest is 10.6 something...

and also can i deactivate DFU mode, how? can i be able to get back on my previous settings without any problems? it was jailbroken already

You can deactivate DFU Mode (if you've not done anything, changed your mind and just want to restart the iPad) by disconnecting the iPad from your computer and then resetting it (holding both sleep and Home buttons until you see the Apple logo). The iPad will be just as it was before you put it into DFU mode.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

glassheart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's about the right size for the firmware. From where are you trying to get it? We have links to the official firmware here, if you need it (they are fine, I've used them): Official Apple IOS Firmware Download Links for iPad

And yes, your iTunes should be as up-to-date as exists. The latest is 10.6 something...

You can deactivate DFU Mode (if you've not done anything, changed your mind and just want to restart the iPad) by disconnecting the iPad from your computer and then resetting it (holding both sleep and Home buttons until you see the Apple logo). The iPad will be just as it was before you put it into DFU mode.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

thanks ive been able to deactivate from dfu mode, however, i'm still having a problem trying to upgrade my IPAD 2 3g from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1. I'm pretty sure that i have downloaded it from the same link as you mentioned and i have already updated my itunes to the latest but still having the same issue. So right now i'm redownloading it again hoping that i may be able to resolve it. And is it okay if i didnt reset the settings and jump to DFU ahead or should i need to reset it first?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
CAUTION! If you mean to "reset all" via a line in the Settings tab ON the iPad - do NOT do that with a jail broken iPad! Repeat: Do NOT!

Doing that is the best way to send the iPad into a tailspin and mess up everything, making the iPad need a restore any way.

Follow the steps in this link (exactly) to get the iPad to a stock version of iOS 5.1.1: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=52863. Ensure you run a backup beforehand so you can put the iPad back the way you had it before you started.

Then, once you have the stock iOS 5.1.1 loaded, follow the steps outlined here to jail break it with Absinthe: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=77390

Good luck.

Marilyn

glassheart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thank you for the effort of helping me, though still having the problem after following those steps, same issue as before firmware file is corrupt... i don't know what i did wrong... wanna get over this soon, however, i really really appreciate your effort =D

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, let's try this. With which browser are you downloading that IPSW file? It may be that you need to use a different browser.

Also, at which stage in the restore process do you get the error, and what exactly does it say?

Ma

fadedangel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guys, i currently have a iPad 2 (3G/Wifi/GSM version) on 4.3.3 that is jailbroken. Now i do NOT have my iPad jailbroken to get illegal apps like most people but rather to run my own code. I made the choice to jailbreak because i want Grooveshark (to which i pay) on my iPad (as you know this is not allowed via iTunes and JB'ing is my only option).

Now i wish to upgrade to 5.1.1 (because it's about time and i NEED airplay mirroring with my Apple TV). Now my question is do i do a restore via iTunes (offline with the official IPSW) to get up to 5.1.1. I'm currently looking at your excellently written 'failsafe restore guide'.

I'm currently downloading the 5.1.1 IPSW for my iPad. I downloaded one before but iTunes said it was the wrong version (i grabbed it previously off Felix's site). Now i believe i have the right IPSW and i'm so close to going ahead with it but i felt it best to ask the experts. I've wiped my HOSTS file of all gs.apple references and i'm ready to restore.

Am i missing anything? Is there any other steps i can take to prevent anything serious like bricking at this stage?

Any help would be great, thank you. (fantastic site btw)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you follow the steps outline in the "failsafe" tutorial and have the IPSW all ready to do a DFU Mode/shift to restore, the I'd say you are ready to go. As it says in the tutorial, you will want to upgrade to a stock iOS 5.1.1 and then jail break.

Good luck.

Marilyn

fadedangel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah everything worked fantastic. Well happy. I would say though if you guys are looking for suggestions in order to make the guide a little better i thought of one or two points, firstly i think (while quite obvious but very necessary) that you guarantee that your internet connection is on, reliable and that if you are on 3G or relying on a 3G connection (like i was to gs.apple.com) that you make sure your connection is stable. I had to tether through my mobile (while my home broadband is down) on a 3G connection that was dropping on (O2). So i thought while obvious in the guide, it should have a little amendment somewhere because obviously no internet connection could cause issues. Worth the note?

Also disabling firewall's, HIPS software and Little Snitch on a mac i thought to be worthy of notes too. The inbuilt Apple firewall also brought prompts up for me.

Thanks again guys. Appreciate it Marilyn.

glassheart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Okay, let's try this. With which browser are you downloading that IPSW file? It may be that you need to use a different browser.

Also, at which stage in the restore process do you get the error, and what exactly does it say?

Ma

I had it all figure out i tried to use other browser to download the firmware, seems to have bigger file size... Im happy i was able to jb again thanks

BartuHTC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible to jailbreak my iPad 2,4?

Hell yeah! :) just download Absinthe 2.0.4 and follow the instructions in the 1st thread. It's as simple as anything.

Swiped with HTC Trace on Desire S using Fallout 2 with HTC Sense 4
I also have an iPad 2 iOS5.1.1, jailbroken by pod2g.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts