What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official IOS6 Jailbreak Status Thread

johnl316

iPF Noob
Reaction score
venster said:
Something that has crossed my mind is the security issues of JB'ing. I've had a quick look around but found nothing that satisfies my question.

How much "less secure" is a JB'd ipad to people gaining access to personal info on the ipad to a stock OS ?

While I accept no device is 100% ( or we wouldn't have JB) does JB'ing significantly increase the vulnerability to attack ?

There is a very good tutorial here that gives instructions on how to change your Ssh password so nobody can ssh to your device.

venster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok thanks, something ill read up on.

So what you are saying is, if you install pirated apps then these could have "viruses" etc in them that leave you open to attack.

I realise we don't discuss piracy in detail, and don't intend to use these btw, I just wanted to know how to keep my confidential information secure on my ipad.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you change the default password on the iPad (esPECially if you use SSH tools) and avoid piracy sites and dodgy repos - in other words, stick with the tried and true Cydia tweaks (and don't pirate) - then your jail broken iPad is as safe as a stock one from malicious code.

Marilyn

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As everyone has said already, if you choose to install OpenSSH after you jailbreak (and you should really only be doing that if you know what SSH and you intend to use it!), then you should change the default password. Our guide is here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...ides/28213-how-use-secure-shell-ssh-ipad.html

And like any walk of life, if you are not deliberately doing anything illegal then you have less to worry about. Legitimate jailbreakers look after our own. If there is ever a security scare regarding anything jailbreak related you will hear about it here and everywhere else, usually with a quick solution.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like the linux tools are now being tested according to the website ;)

johnl316

iPF Noob
Reaction score
venster said:
Ok thanks, something ill read up on.

So what you are saying is, if you install pirated apps then these could have "viruses" etc in them that leave you open to attack.

I realise we don't discuss piracy in detail, and don't intend to use these btw, I just wanted to know how to keep my confidential information secure on my ipad.

I have found that browsing and downloading and installing apps via Cydia to be absolutely safe. I also change my ssh password so that others in my local vicinity cannot log in to my device and perform any activities. I tend to only log on to safe private wireless networks. I do suggest an ap available on cydia firewallip I believe. People that engage in illegal a tivities Re setting themselves up for virus problems and other hackingw related problems on a jail broken device. Good ,u k. I am sure that you Re looking forward to the imminent jallbreak of iOS 6 as much as I am.

quinconces

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So what is/are the add-on value of the 6 1 upgrade for iPad ?
i have 5 1 1 at the moment and am concerned that some of my favourite apps
may not work on 6 1. I have to say I love my 5 1 1.
Is the trade off worth while?
what in fact will the benefits be?

Inked adrenaline

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So what is/are the add-on value of the 6 1 upgrade for iPad ?
i have 5 1 1 at the moment and am concerned that some of my favourite apps
may not work on 6 1. I have to say I love my 5 1 1.
Is the trade off worth while?
what in fact will the benefits be?

If your talking about cydia apps then yes a lot of apps prob won't work on ios6. If your talking about reg App Store apps then def upgrade I love the features of ios6, especially the motion gestures like 5 finger pinch to close and 4 finger swipe to go back to last app or to engage app switcher. Ios6 is great, once the jb is released and the devs start cranking out some app/tweaks that are compatible, it will be the ultimate combo.

Tapatalk'd / iPad Mini

johnl316

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been jail broken on iOS 5.1 1 for quite a while as we'll as being jail broken on iOS 4.3.3 and have to say that the debs of USIA apps and tweaks have and likely will upgrade their apps and tweaks once the jailbreak has been released. I myself have upgraded for this very reason as well as being able to update apple apps that were for iOS 6 and above only.

I have been checking the status on the evasi0n site almost hourly lately because I miss my jail broken apps and tweaks after being unjailbroken for just 2 days.

Freakofmeds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If your talking about cydia apps then yes a lot of apps prob won't work on ios6. If your talking about reg App Store apps then def upgrade I love the features of ios6, especially the motion gestures like 5 finger pinch to close and 4 finger swipe to go back to last app or to engage app switcher. Ios6 is great, once the jb is released and the devs start cranking out some app/tweaks that are compatible, it will be the ultimate combo.

Tapatalk'd / iPad Mini

I'm pretty sure ios5.1.1 had motion gestures too...

Mojosodope

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Inked adrenaline said:
Oh. Been awhile for me. I went to the dark side for awhile and now came back with iPad mini and ip5

Did the same but got the iPad 4 lol

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

lime4x4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife updated my iPad 4 today thru iTunes. From what I've read I'll be fine for jail breaking. I'm I assuming correctly

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My wife updated my iPad 4 today thru iTunes. From what I've read I'll be fine for jail breaking. I'm I assuming correctly

Yep, you should be fine and are ready.

And, for the future and just in case, cause we never know - make sure you save those SHSH blobs for 6.1 also. Always a good habit to get into, saving blobs.... :)

Marilyn

wench

iPF Novice
Reaction score
wench said:
I am a little confused about step 2. Will you do this in DFU, or is that necessary? I am probably asking a question that may have been answered already, but i am getting dizzy from all the tutorials i have been reading. Don't want to mess it up, but probably will.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts