What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official IOS6 Jailbreak Status Thread

MIKES3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
is there a wayto updae from ios 5.1.1 jailbreak to ios 6.1 jailbreaken? Or do i have to update to normal 6.1 loose all my tweaks aps and so, and than jailbreak it install the aps again?

To be on the safe side back everything up, but when I updated my iPad 4 I still had all may apps after the update

reni90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mike can u exactly describe how u managed to update jailbreak end doesn't lose everything please?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can't go directly from a jail broken iOS to a jail broken iOS. You have to go jail broken > upgrade to stock > jail break new iOS.

If you make a backup in iTunes before you upgrade to the stock iOS, you can restore that backup AFTER you jail break. We don't recommend using a jail break tweak for backups, mainly because tweaks may not work properly on the new iOS. So, for tweaks, we recommend you put them on one at a time to make sure they work. I recommend writing a list of the Cydia tweaks you have installed now - that way you'll know what ones to go back and get after you re-jail break.

Here are the steps I am going to follow when the jail break is released:

1) Save a backup in iTunes
2) Upgrade my iPad 3 to iOS 6.1 (restoring as NEW, not from backup)
3) Perform the jail break and log in to Cydia
4) "Restore from backup" (in iTunes - this will put my apps, data, settings, etc. back on the iPad)
5) One at a time - put my Cydia tweaks back on the iPad (that were there on iOS 5.1.1)
6) Enjoy my newly jail broken iPad on iOS 6.1! :)

Hopefully, this helps.

Marilyn

reni90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks, i will do so
But, isn't the jailbreak already released?

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like private beta testing of the new JB is underway ;)

wench

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
You can't go directly from a jail broken iOS to a jail broken iOS. You have to go jail broken > upgrade to stock > jail break new iOS.

If you make a backup in iTunes before you upgrade to the stock iOS, you can restore that backup AFTER you jail break. We don't recommend using a jail break tweak for backups, mainly because tweaks may not work properly on the new iOS. So, for tweaks, we recommend you put them on one at a time to make sure they work. I recommend writing a list of the Cydia tweaks you have installed now - that way you'll know what ones to go back and get after you re-jail break.

Here are the steps I am going to follow when the jail break is released:

1) Save a backup in iTunes
2) Upgrade my iPad 3 to iOS 6.1 (restoring as NEW, not from backup)
3) Perform the jail break and log in to Cydia
4) "Restore from backup" (in iTunes - this will put my apps, data, settings, etc. back on the iPad)
5) One at a time - put my Cydia tweaks back on the iPad (that were there on iOS 5.1.1)
6) Enjoy my newly jail broken iPad on iOS 6.1! :)

Hopefully, this helps.

Marilyn

I am a little confused about step 2. Will you do this in DFU, or is that necessary? I am probably asking a question that may have been answered already, but i am getting dizzy from all the tutorials i have been reading. Don't want to mess it up, but probably will.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Francisco Motta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im upgrade my ipad3 to ios6.1 and I'm here in standby for the jailbreak.

But I'm not win in turn as a new. The iTunes restore automatically my backup.
Any problem with new jailbreak? (Sorry my English)

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
wench said:
I am a little confused about step 2. Will you do this in DFU, or is that necessary? I am probably asking a question that may have been answered already, but i am getting dizzy from all the tutorials i have been reading. Don't want to mess it up, but probably will.

Sent from my iPad using iPF
It is advised to upgrade your firmware after you put your device in DFU mode especially if your going from jailbroken to stock
Remember no OTA upgrade if you want to jailbreak

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Francisco Motta said:
Im upgrade my ipad3 to ios6.1 and I'm here in standby for the jailbreak.

But I'm not win in turn as a new. The iTunes restore automatically my backup.
Any problem with new jailbreak? (Sorry my English)
Did you upgrade OTA or via iTunes?

Francisco Motta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iRager said:
Did you upgrade OTA or via iTunes?

I can not say much about OTA.
I plugged my iPad into my PC, iTunes started and I took him to do the update. He downloaded the file (about 1.1GB) and did the job. In the end he said he was restoring the backup.
Done correctly?
The new jailbreak will be installed?
(Thanks for you help)
Francisco
Brazil

Inked adrenaline

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can not say much about OTA.
I plugged my iPad into my PC, iTunes started and I took him to do the update. He downloaded the file (about 1.1GB) and did the job. In the end he said he was restoring the backup.
Done correctly?
The new jailbreak will be installed?
(Thanks for you help)
Francisco
Brazil

Yes, your fine.

Tapatalk'd / iPad Mini

venster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Something that has crossed my mind is the security issues of JB'ing. I've had a quick look around but found nothing that satisfies my question.

How much "less secure" is a JB'd ipad to people gaining access to personal info on the ipad to a stock OS ?

While I accept no device is 100% ( or we wouldn't have JB) does JB'ing significantly increase the vulnerability to attack ?

johnl316

iPF Noob
Reaction score
venster said:
Something that has crossed my mind is the security issues of JB'ing. I've had a quick look around but found nothing that satisfies my question.

How much "less secure" is a JB'd ipad to people gaining access to personal info on the ipad to a stock OS ?

While I accept no device is 100% ( or we wouldn't have JB) does JB'ing significantly increase the vulnerability to attack ?

Although I do not have any particular discussions on this forum to direct you to I have heard that there may be risks. Someone put it to me this way: if a person with a jail broken device where to use that device for pirating software or other illegal purposes, they would then be dealing with the kinds of people who have a greater likelihood of desiring to hack their I device.

There is a great discussion here on how to change your ssh password so that only you can ssh to your device.

Most reactions

Latest posts