What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official IOS6 Jailbreak Status Thread

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Most likely a phone by the FCC's reckoning is a device that has been registered and approved by them for use as a phone. A phablet would still need to be approved as a phone. Or were you being facetious? ;)

The reason given for not exempting tablets is that there is no strong definition of what a tablet is. Almost anything could be called a tablet, providing it has a screen and at least some computer like abilities. Phones, however, have a fairly well defined function. They connect to and make calls over a telephone services network.

Though that definition is also getting a bit gray with internet call services.

I was curious as to how phablets would fit in with the new regulations, not being facetious.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I was curious as to how phablets would fit in with the new regulations, not being facetious.

Ah, but I was. Mostly. :) I'm just guessing, of course, but I think it makes sense. After all, phablet is a term invented by the media. The actual devices are sold as phones.

shadowrex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good Day folks! i bought my iPad 3 ios 6 last week here in the Philippines. Please update regularly about the status of the jailbreak method. Thank You! ^^

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
shadowrex said:
Good Day folks! i bought my iPad 3 ios 6 last week here in the Philippines. Please update regularly about the status of the jailbreak method. Thank You! ^^

All you have to do to keep yourself updated on the status of jailbreaking for iOS 6 is to make sure you're subscribed to this thread so you can receive notifications of new posts to the thread.
Any news of a jailbreak will definitely be posted here as soon as possible.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The first post has been updated, but probably not with the positive news folks were waiting for ;)

However, on the bright side, analysis of the patches that have been made on 6.0.1 may well expose mechanisms to allow a 6.0 jailbreak to be developed and released sooner that would otherwise be possible. We can live in hope! :D

Last edited:

omiez

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't updated my iPad 2. What i am supposed to do now? My status is like in signature. Will it be possible to update to 6.0 when JB is out?

Sent from my iPad 64Gb JB 5.1.1 using iPF

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't updated my iPad 2. What i am supposed to do now? My status is like in signature. Will it be possible to update to 6.0 when JB is out?

Based on what we know at the moment, it is highly unlikely that and iPad2 or iPad3 owner currently enjoying a 5.1.1 jailbreak will be able to utilise a 6.0 jailbreak if that jailbreak is specifically for version 6.0 only, since there is not way known at present to get 6.0 onto the device now the signing window was closed. We will just have to hope that the jailbreak is for 6.0.1.

Since IOS 6.1 is imminent too, the same situation will likely apply to 6.0.1. We can only wait and see, and hope for the best! But if you enjoy the features your jailbreak provides, you have the most appropriate configuration at the present time.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Based on what we know at the moment, it is highly unlikely that and iPad2 or iPad3 owner currently enjoying a 5.1.1 jailbreak will be able to utilise a 6.0 jailbreak if that jailbreak is specifically for version 6.0 only, since there is not way known at present to get 6.0 onto the device now the signing window was closed. We will just have to hope that the jailbreak is for 6.0.1.

Since IOS 6.1 is imminent too, the same situation will likely apply to 6.0.1. We can only wait and see, and hope for the best! But if you enjoy the features your jailbreak provides, you have the most appropriate configuration at the present time.

Quick iOS updates from Apple make it harder for jailbreakers, which version do they concentrate on?

mingangmeee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
Quick iOS updates from Apple make it harder for jailbreakers, which version do they concentrate on?

all we have to do now is wait, i really hope that untethered jailbreak for ios 6.0 will soon be released

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

It entirely depends on the nature of the update... ;)

Since 6.0.1 is a bug fix update, the first thing they will do is look at what it is that Apple patched in each part of the 6.0.1 OS and look at the same files / libraries in 6.0. This may give clues to vulnerabilities which would make jailbreaking IOS 6.0 easier. In that regard they would stay concentrated on 6.0, which is why you should always wait to apply a minor point release unless you absolutely require one of the fixes it supplies!

The flip side is that changes to the OS may actually introduce new vulnerabilities (although in a minor bug fix release, this is less likely), so again you look at everything that has changed in 6.0.1 but this time test the new 6.0.1 code for vulnerabilities. It is much more likely that a major point release, such as 6.1, will be looked at like this, since it will have new features, new code, and hopefully new vulnerabilities. Since 6.0.1 is mostly fixing bugs, its quite unlikely that there are new vulnerabilities to exploit in it.

So, I'd imagine at the moment, iOS 6.0.1 is being used to identify potential weaknesses in 6.0 which may not already have been public. But once 6.1 is out, it may complicate things significantly. IMHO of course! :D

minotaur

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The reason given for not exempting tablets is that there is no strong definition of what a tablet is. Almost anything could be called a tablet, providing it has a screen and at least some computer like abilities. Phones, however, have a fairly well defined function. They connect to and make calls over a telephone services network.

Though that definition is also getting a bit gray with internet call services.
Phone manufacturers and air-time sellers seem to have forgotten that - it's the ONE feature that no-one ever advertises. ;-)

Most reactions

Latest posts