What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official IOS6 Jailbreak Status Thread

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I were a betting man, I'd be tempted to say Sunday will be Funday ;)

Ohoho I see what you did there :p

Pretty excited to see what this next jailbreak has in store in terms of other possible features added aside from the jailbreak if any. The Dev Team never disappoints when it comes to adding on to their toys.

Also note that iOS 6.0, 6.0.1, 6.0.2 and 6.1 all utilize the same IPSW which is iOS 6.0's IPSW

Last edited:

Mojosodope

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok so i did the OTA....is there anyway to go back and re update via the computer?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok so i did the OTA....is there anyway to go back and re update via the computer?

Sure. Download the 6.1 IPSW for your iPad version. Connect the iPad to your computer (close iTunes if it opens). Put your iPad into DFU mode. Then open iTunes. iTunes will recognize the iPad as needing recovery (accept the prompt).

Then, instead of just hitting the restore button, press the Shift button and hold it. Then press the restore button. A pop-up window will show for you to navigate to where you put the IPSW file. Select the file and then let iTunes finish its "magic." And you're dine - you have a non-OTA iOS on your iPad.

One thing to remember - I would NOT recommend using Internet Explorer to get the IPSW file; use Safari, Chrome or Firefox instead. IE tends to muck up Apple IPSW files...

Marilyn

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
dragon499 said:
As I am waiting for a Jailbreak, is there any reason why I should not upgrade to 6.1?

Check the first post in this thread for yesterday's announcement. According to the jailbreak developers it's safe to update to iOS 6.1.

Action Jackson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having problems understanding one of the notes on the front page.....

) You should NOT use the OTA method to update to 6.1 since this will not provide you with a good APTicket on the device. A full iTunes restore operation is the safest option.

If I have an iPad 4th gen, does this still apply? Because I thought the newer iPad's did away with supporting that APTicket stuff?!

Another question if I may. My daughter has an iPod Touch 4th gen that is sitting on iOS 5.x? (or whatever the last non-tethered JB was). To avoid losing any data, what's the best way to upgrade her? OTA or letting iTunes upgrade her to iOS 6.1 and then JB? I need to be really careful. Last time I messed around with JB'ing her iPod, I think I did that SHIFT-Restore thing and she lost a lot of recordings so I want to avoid that if possible. We use a 3rd party app to manage our iDevices so if I can avoid iTunes altogether, I'd like to go that path.

Lastly, am I correct in assuming that I really SHOULD use iTunes to upgrade my iPad and her iPod to iOS 6.1 because down the road, if Apple has a non-JB iOS out and I somehow royally screw up our iDevices, requiring a SHIFT-Restore total reload of the OS, I won't be able to point to the old JBreakable IPSW 6.1 file? Or even if I can find an old iOS 6.1 IPSW file, iTunes won't allow me to use it?! (Sorry if my questions are dumb.) :)

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Having problems understanding one of the notes on the front page.....

) You should NOT use the OTA method to update to 6.1 since this will not provide you with a good APTicket on the device. A full iTunes restore operation is the safest option.

If I have an iPad 4th gen, does this still apply? Because I thought the newer iPad's did away with supporting that APTicket stuff?!

Another question if I may. My daughter has an iPod Touch 4th gen that is sitting on iOS 5.x? (or whatever the last non-tethered JB was). To avoid losing any data, what's the best way to upgrade her? OTA or letting iTunes upgrade her to iOS 6.1 and then JB? I need to be really careful. Last time I messed around with JB'ing her iPod, I think I did that SHIFT-Restore thing and she lost a lot of recordings so I want to avoid that if possible. We use a 3rd party app to manage our iDevices so if I can avoid iTunes altogether, I'd like to go that path.

Lastly, am I correct in assuming that I really SHOULD use iTunes to upgrade my iPad and her iPod to iOS 6.1 because down the road, if Apple has a non-JB iOS out and I somehow royally screw up our iDevices, requiring a SHIFT-Restore total reload of the OS, I won't be able to point to the old JBreakable IPSW 6.1 file? Or even if I can find an old iOS 6.1 IPSW file, iTunes won't allow me to use it?! (Sorry if my questions are dumb.) :)

Yes, it still applies. APTickets are used on all 6.x capable devices and won't be going anywhere unless Apple replace them with something even more secure ;)

If you want to JB your iPad4 when the JB comes out, you MUST install IOS 6.1 using iTunes and not Over The Air!

To safeguard your daughters data, then simply synchronise with iTunes and back it up BEFORE you restore the device, then after the device is restored to 6.1 using iTunes, choose to restore from your backup, rather than set the device up as "new". You can use either iCloud or iTunes to back-up the device, and being jailbroken does not matter. You should ALWAYS be keeping a regular backup ;)

If you also want to backup your Jailbreak tweaks / settings, then try PkgBackup - Our guide is here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...p-safeguard-your-jailbreak-apps-settings.html

You will always be able to put IOS 6.1 on there provided it is still the current IOS which Apple is providing (today, that is true). One day they will release something new. After that, you will probably not be able to restore 6.1 again, but you will be able to restore whatever is the latest IOS at that time. If that version is not yet jailbreakable, then you may be stuck without a jailbreak for a while :(

In summary (for your described scenario), you should use iTunes to install 6.1. You should backup before hand, and restore the backup after 6.1 is one there. iTunes guides you through this.

Good luck.

J0kerswild

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm a long time reader, first time posting. I made a mistake and updated to IOS 6.1 over the air. Is there a way for me to re-install IOS 6.1 through itunes to get another APTicket? Please help! I'm worried this mistake will prevent me from getting the new jailbreak. Thank you

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Damn, I wish I would have read the first post, instead of just the reply to my last post. I updated to 6.1 over the air. Can sombody verify that this is what I need to do. Also, let me know if I am missing anything that I need to do to resore my folder structure, as I always screw this up:

1 - Plug my iPad 4 into my pc which launches itunes. After the sync, transfer all purchases, then backup.
2 - Restore to factory settings, then plug in again to pc and restore from last backup.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When jailbreaking, always restore using iTunes. OTA is primarily for users that stick with the stock iOS. If you're looking to jailbreak, always restore using iTunes to prevent bricking if you're already jailbroken, and to ensure that you have the proper APTickets to troubleshoot your device in the case that you need to use your APTickets

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To be clear here, are you all stating that:

When the 6.1 Jailbreak comes out, if I try to use the exploit on my iPad that I just upgraded to 6.1 over wifi, the jailbreak will fail?

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To be clear here, are you all stating that:

When the 6.1 Jailbreak comes out, if I try to use the exploit on my iPad that I just upgraded to 6.1 over wifi, the jailbreak will fail?

Nobody can answer for sure until it is released but ALL the developers involved have advised NOT to do it, so why would you?

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Cant wait for sunday.Hope this time its true.Looks like the most Legit!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts