What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Now that ive had my new iPad for a while...

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a couple questions about some quirky things.

1. When in the email app (I use gmail), why is there no underscore button? It's there in iMessage, and it's here for this app, but that button (key?) is either an accent or \ in email. In order to key in an email address I had to type it in an iMessage, then copy/paste to the email. My brother says this isn't an issue on his 2; is this some sort of goofy "3" thing?

2. Is there something about reading magazines I'm missing? I mean, when I exit, what do I need to do to pick up where I left off the next time I want to read? Regardless of which app I'm using (Zinio, Kindle, Newstand) the magazines always save in some random spot pages from where I left off. The weird thing is, once that spot is picked, the mags will open to that location every time. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!!

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
#1 there are many variations of the keyboard and the app decides which is used when entering text.

#2 its different for each one.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

1. When in the email app (I use gmail), why is there no underscore button? It's there in iMessage, and it's here for this app, but that button (key?) is either an accent or \ in email. In order to key in an email address I had to type it in an iMessage, then copy/paste to the email. My brother says this isn't an issue on his 2; is this some sort of goofy "3" thing?

2. Is there something about reading magazines I'm missing? I mean, when I exit, what do I need to do to pick up where I left off the next time I want to read? Regardless of which app I'm using (Zinio, Kindle, Newstand) the magazines always save in some random spot pages from where I left off. The weird thing is, once that spot is picked, the mags will open to that location every time. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!!

If you can't find the underscore (I don't have iPad 3, so can't check), you can always create a keyboard shortcut for it. I don't like the three keyboard levels needed to get to an underscore, for instance, so I made a shortcut. Now every time I hit the combo uu, I get an underscore.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I make the assumption you are talking about using the stock Mail app on the iPad3? If so, the underscore key is to the right of and next to the space bar AFTER you press the ".123" key. I have NO idea why Apple changed it (because it is in a different place when I just now compared it with my mom's iPad2). But, there you go.

I have no idea on the magazine thing, sorry. Don't use 'em...

Marilyn

EDIT TO ADD: Huh. My bad. That underscore is in the position I said only if you are in the address sections. Actually, its right there - you dont have to press the ".123" key.

Then, if you go into the body of your message, the underscore is the farthest left button of the third line after you press the ".123" key and then the "#+=" key.

Now I'm very confused! Guess Apple wanted it to be handy for addresses, but not the actual messages... Sorry for the mix up.

Last edited:
OP
M

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
I make the assumption you are talking about using the stock Mail app on the iPad3? If so, the underscore key is to the right of and next to the space bar AFTER you press the ".123" key. I have NO idea why Apple changed it (because it is in a different place when I just now compared it with my mom's iPad2). But, there you go.

I have no idea on the magazine thing, sorry. Don't use 'em...

Marilyn

image-188840712.jpg

image-2380535104.jpg

This is my email keyboard (and yes, it's the stock one) before and after I hit the 123 key.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Like I said, there are many keyboards and each app gets to pick what ones get presented when entering text.

If you go to the subject or body of the message it will give you the keyboard with the underscore.

You may want to submit this to apple as a bug report since some email address's do have underscores and the app is not presenting a keyboard that allows you to type it.

OP
M

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll do that. Its just very odd. My brother has it when he is in the same application; the only difference is which generation iPad we each have.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
View attachment 12523

View attachment 12524

This is my email keyboard (and yes, it's the stock one) before and after I hit the 123 key.

Well something is wrong. Neither of these has the letter keys on it...on my KB, when you get the letter kb the underscore is on the lower right next to the space bar. There must be some other kb on yours otherwise you cannot type any letters. What is that globe key?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, I misspoke a bit earlier. Here is a shot of my Mail app on the ipad3. This is what I get for the keyboard - without touching any keys - when the cursor is in the address field (e.g. The "To" block):

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1333306976.922853.jpg

Note that the underscore is right next to the space bar. Again, this is without touching any key or typing anything. It's the default position when the app is first opened.

If your doesn't do this, then yeah, you've got a weird bug going on - because it makes no sense for two ipad3s to be different, especially given that we are both on iOS 5.1...

Marilyn

iPhoNettie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mdholm said:

Thanks!!

I use Zinio and it gives you the option to bookmark the page you're on. When you're in the magazine, tap it once to bring up the screen features. On the upper right hand corner you'll see the bookmark symbol:

Tap the bookmark symbol and it'll save that page. So then when you go out and come back in to the mag, tap the bookmark symbol and it brings up the bookmark you created, tapping that will take you to where you left off

Attachments

• image-2525081364.jpg
    image-2525081364.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 366

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What is that globe key?

When you have more than one keyboard language/layout turned on you get the Globe key. It lets you switch between them. Handy if you're multilingual (not me), or occasionally need accents or characters from other alphabets (me).

SquiderDragon

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks!!

I have Zinio and don't see this issue. For me the magazine will open ay the last page. I also have a free magazone sub via Newsdesk but have not tried that as yet. I assume though this will be the same - I will check later and repost. But don't have this issue for Zinio for multiple mags - each has their own 'bookmark' - similar to iBooks.

Having checked the Newsdesk works in same way so will open at last page after close.

Also re your point 1 - I also use both gmail and hotmail re mail from iPad and when I create a message the default keypad has both a hyphen and underscore character key available for input. I am UK regions so assume I have a default GB layout.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts