What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No 7 inch iPad

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, Steve Jobs has said that the 7 inch iPad is not a good idea. While competitors are touting the form, he feels that it is combining the worse features of the iPhone and iPad. The smaller screen does not allow for the viewing benefits of the 9.7 inch. The 7 inch screen means it is not pocket friendly. I have mixed feelings about that thought, but not having the ability to test a 7 inch like he has, I have to assume they have done due diligence.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pretty much what I have been thinking. Seven inch is too close to the size of my 4.3" Android and too big to be pocketable. So no seven inch iPad.

His statements on the Android are all wrong though. He believes that there are too many Android phones and consumers are getting confused. We all want a consistent set of features and fewer hardware choices. Same thing he said about all of the PC clones vs Macintosh, and how did that work for his market share?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, Steve Jobs has said that the 7 inch iPad is not a good idea. While competitors are touting the form, he feels that it is combining the worse features of the iPhone and iPad. The smaller screen does not allow for the viewing benefits of the 9.7 inch. The 7 inch screen means it is not pocket friendly. I have mixed feelings about that thought, but not having the ability to test a 7 inch like he has, I have to assume they have done due diligence.

exactly what ive been saying.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm sure they tested several variants before settling with the current size. It's had close to a ten year gestation so they had plenty of time to select the most suitable.

G.P

iPF Noob
Reaction score
. The smaller screen does not allow for the viewing benefits of the 9.7 inch. The 7 inch screen means it is not pocket friendly.

This sums up my feelings exactly. 7 inches doesn't fit in your pocket just as the 9.7" doesn't,and you lose the wow factor of the current screen size.

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still think there is a place for a 7" screen, but it is obvious that Apple does not think so at this time. To me, the iPad is a near perfect form as is. I just think that for some purposes, it might be more convenient to have the smaller form.

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the 9.7 is the perfect size, but I can see where someone else might like a 7 inch, if they were just going to play games or watch video. The sweet spot for tablets is probably 10inches. I don't see why Samsung built the Galaxy Tab with a 7 inch screen, unless it's because the current version of Android won't work anything bigger.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think it's just a question of which of your priorities you consider most important. Portability, screen quality, software library etc.. We all look for something different from our devices.

That said I feel most people would buy a smart phone before buying a tablet and would want the tablet to be a noticeable improvement on it. 7" tablets will sell, but I doubt they will do so in comparable numbers.

The real problem as Steve pointed out is the ability to manipulate quality software on a small screen. Not certain I could highlight pdfs', or use mind mapping for long on a 7" screen. He wasn't damning them from a hardware perspective but from a software one.

semrumo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Android good for <5" screens but lets not forget that android is really pointed towards tech related ppl, not really your normal person OS.

Windows 7 good for >10" screens with no touchscreen, i think W7 is not really a touch operating system.

the idea behind IOS is you do one thing at a time, thats y they didnt release it with multitasking. Now that ppl have an idea of how it works, they can add it to the OS.

We need to crawl before we can walk, i think thats the idea behind IOS.

If i want a smaller screen device i can get the Ipod touch, if i want it bigger i get the ipad. Besides whats the big difference between a 7" and the 9.7" in terms of portability.

7" and 9.7" cannot go in the pocket. so put it in a small bag and of you go :p

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm such a Noob I didn't even know what the screen size was. 9.7 inches, that's bigger then my wife's Kindle. :) I think that a 7 inch screen would make it an iMemoPad.;)

chuckz28

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me personally the bigger size was imperative however I know of a lot of people that would prefer the smaller 7" size. There is always room for an iPad Nano. Lol

Most reactions

Latest posts