What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Apple reconsider 7 inch?

Kingsmuse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually looking around at all the new tablets out or coming out (Samsung,RIM,HP)it seems a distinct choice on the part of companies that produce an alternative to the iPad to opt for the thinner aspect ratio consistently on their devices.
None have the size or aspect ratio of the iPad.

Could this be a move to force a "BetaMax vs. VHS" type situation down the road?

OP
A

Alanfujii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, I'll take a different tack on this. If you were trying to dominate a market segment what would you do? First, you would find it difficult to have one size fits all just because you are designing for the masses and people have such varied likes and dislikes. Your goal on the initial design is to aim at the middle and try and spread the solution as wide as you can. Invariably, you will find that the outlining groups on either side have a diminished solution vs your center target. The key is to figure out whether the groups left out are large enough to go after. Now if you find that the outlining groups are large enough, you provide a product that plugs the gap. This has more to do on not allowing your competition access than adding revenue. The more difficult you make it for your competition, the more they have to spend to get into the market.

Now with a fairly good rollout of the Samsung Tab, I would say there is a large enough group. Now there was a reply indicating that these just might be people that are anti-Apple. I would believe that if the Samsung was aggressively priced. But it is actually equal to or more expensive than the iPad. I'm willing to bet that the size was the pre-dominate decision factor in Tab purchase. Again, I myself like the current size of the iPad but for certain functions I can see where a smaller size would be better. 1) E-book reader and smaller size like a paper back book would be better. ( I don't read books on the iPad, I read books on the iPhone) . 2) Games - I would suggest that the 7inch is the perfect size for interactive games. It's not a coincidence that the Nintendo DS and Sony PSP are that size. This would actually be better gaming platform than the iPod Touch in my opinion.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now there was a reply indicating that these just might be people that are anti-Apple. I would believe that if the Samsung was aggressively priced. But it is actually equal to or more expensive than the iPad.
Only if it is sold without a contract. As we don't know what that breakdown is no one has any idea if the average Galaxy Tab was equal in price to the iPad, or much less.

Moreover, we don't even know if those 1 million units went to actual buyers, or to distributers.

My guess is that it was to distributers because if I were Samsung and it WAS to end users I would have been absolutely clear about that.

Michael

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I like this video comparing iPad and Galaxy Tab:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1EBIaBWLxM[/ame]

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think a low profile 7" screen could be a good choice for in-car use. This could be installed into most car dash panels with minor modification. iPad has been installed in cars before, but it normally takes a car with a very large dash panel, or a terrible looking mount for the iPad. Would be nice to have an "in-dash" solution.

Ummmm, to the guy who said that the PSP and Nintendo DS have 7" screens.......have you ever actually used either of them before? The PSP is a 4.3" screen and the DS is 3.8"

Where did you get 7" from?

Last edited:

G.P

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, I'll take a different tack on this. If you were trying to dominate a market segment what would you do? First, you would find it difficult to have one size fits all just because you are designing for the masses and people have such varied likes and dislikes. Your goal on the initial design is to aim at the middle and try and spread the solution as wide as you can. Invariably, you will find that the outlining groups on either side have a diminished solution vs your center target. The key is to figure out whether the groups left out are large enough to go after. Now if you find that the outlining groups are large enough, you provide a product that plugs the gap. This has more to do on not allowing your competition access than adding revenue. The more difficult you make it for your competition, the more they have to spend to get into the market.

Now with a fairly good rollout of the Samsung Tab, I would say there is a large enough group. Now there was a reply indicating that these just might be people that are anti-Apple. I would believe that if the Samsung was aggressively priced. But it is actually equal to or more expensive than the iPad. I'm willing to bet that the size was the pre-dominate decision factor in Tab purchase. Again, I myself like the current size of the iPad but for certain functions I can see where a smaller size would be better. 1) E-book reader and smaller size like a paper back book would be better. ( I don't read books on the iPad, I read books on the iPhone) . 2) Games - I would suggest that the 7inch is the perfect size for interactive games. It's not a coincidence that the Nintendo DS and Sony PSP are that size. This would actually be better gaming platform than the iPod Touch in my opinion.

There isn't a one size fits all. There is the ipod touch, which is essentially a 3.5 inch ipad. Or the ipad is a 9.7 inch ipod touch. Either way you slice it, there is a device for those who want to carry it in their pockets. And there's a device for those who want the larger real estate size. What category would you put a 7 inch pad in? It's too close to the size of the current ipad, and you're losing screen real estate, but not really gaining much in terms of portability, as it's no more likely to fit in your pocket than the current ipad.

Neither the Sony PSP or the DS are remotely close to 7 inch screens. Not even the recent DSI XL is that big. In fact the latter's screen is 4.2 inches,and the PSP is tops at 4.3.

Last edited:

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There isn't a one size fits all. There is the ipod touch, which is essentially a 3.5 inch ipad. Or the ipad is a 9.7 inch ipod touch. Either way you slice it, there is a device for those who want to carry it in their pockets. And there's a device for those who want the larger real estate size. What category would you put a 7 inch pad in? It's too close to the size of the current ipad, and you're losing screen real estate, but not really gaining much in terms of portability, as it's no more likely to fit in your pocket than the current ipad.
Having compared a Galaxy Tab side by side an iPad it's not really "too close" to the size of the current iPad: it's about half the size. You can almost fit two GTabs, vertically, on top of an iPad, horizontally.

Yet at the same time, the 7" screen is still FOUR times larger than the iPod Touch's and iPhone's screens.

Now as for portability, yes the 7" is a little more portable but certainly not in the "easily carry anywhere" category. I see many reviews saying how the GTab is nice because it fits in a purse whereas an iPad won't. Well that is all well and good but half the population doesn't carry purses.

Still, there is something that attracts me to the 7" size. Many times my iPhone and iPad are both readily handy and I choose to use the iPhone because it is just easier to fire off a quick email with one hand. My iPad often feels a bit larger and unwieldy. Not terribly so, but I do notice the weight.

Other times I use my iPhone--usually after using the iPad for a while--and think, dang this screen is tiny.

It could very well be that a 7" size tablet is "just right" for many people. For me it just might be "yet another"" sized device I would want around. lol

Michael

Last edited:

G.P

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Still, there is something that attracts me to the 7" size. Many times my iPhone and iPad are both readily handy and I choose to use the iPhone because it is just easier to fire off a quick email with one hand. My iPad often feels a bit larger and unwieldy. Not terribly so, but I do notice the weight.

Michael

But can the Galaxy be used 'in one hand' in the same manner you use the iphone? Because if you still use a 7" pad in the same manner that you would use the ipad, where's the advantage? From my point of view, I could only see real benefits in tablet sizes from one extreme(touch) to the other (ipad). But again, that's just me.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But can the Galaxy be used 'in one hand' in the same manner you use the iphone? Because if you still use a 7" pad in the same manner that you would use the ipad, where's the advantage? From my point of view, I could only see real benefits in tablet sizes from one extreme(touch) to the other (ipad). But again, that's just me.
Well after playing around with it, the GTab might not be as small as my iPhone, but it does not feel awkward to hold in one hand. My iPad feels pretty heavy at times when I hold it in one hand.

I didn't really play with the GTab enough to see if I could type using just one hand but I would say prolly no. It was just more comfortable "to hold" whereas my iPad is usually resting on something when I use it.

I guess that is the big difference for me: iPad I usually have either on my lap or propped up, but don't seem to just hold it too often. My iPhone I almost always use in my hand.

A 7" tablet I could prolly go either way: hold it if I want to, or have it on something if I want to.

Hard to put into words but for sure the larger screen of the GTab was much easier to see than my iPhone's, albeit with exact same number of pixels.

Michael

G.P

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok fair enough. Personally I don't think Apple would create a 7" ipad unless the market clearly indicated that they'd prefer that size even to the current 9.7". Apple doesn't seem as much about adapting to the market, but making the market adapt to them. I'm just an 'outsider' though, not a hardcore Apple user so that may be somewhat of a baseless opinion.

STi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both and considering selling my iPad and just sticking with galaxy tab for now..I like my iPad but I like the tab more...The screen looks better and the resolution really sticks out when I switch...Not to mention you can customize it like crazy. As far as the size it don't bother me maybe an 8inch or 9inch..but the 10 inchers look too big...I like holding it in one hand easily.

2010-12-11013932.jpg

SC20101209-024435.png

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is like buying a car some like small sporty 4 cylinder cars other want v8 coups that is what choice is about if the shoe fits wear it. No matter what tablet/ pad you purchase there will always be something or many issues with the product you don't like or wish you had. Me personally i tried to use a Telstra 7inch (australia)type tablet as i sell them in the retail store where I am employed, and found it awkward and sluggish to use compared to the iPad and I found the weight was around the same as the iPad. This is not a augment apple against android it is a personal opinion When google finalizes their os to support larger tablet sizes my views may change but frankly I cannot see Apple considering the 7 " format as it would impact their iPod touch sales. I also prefer apples iOS as it works across all devices seamlessly that I own including apple tv 2 iPhones and iPod touches not to mention my parrot in car system. I should point out the main stream buyers of computers and iPad's touch tabs and what ever do not modify what they get they use what is shipped as their needs are not the same as a " geek" or heavy user whom want to break unlock crack every thing that moves. As long as a manufacture of these produces make it simple that is all that matters and frankly that why the iPod iPhone iPad has been successfully. We will always have users that want more than devices can provide and that is why some users jail break products. If size is an issue to you buy what fits you best at the end of the day it's your choice.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts