What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New user, first post

Dale1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey all, new user here. Just wanted to say hi before I start picking your brains.

Hope this is the place to find the info I need.

To start with, does anyone know how to install fonts created with ifontmaker on the ipad2 running 5.1.1, I have them in ttf format at the moment and uploaded to drop box. I was hoping to do the creating and installation directly on the device without any laptop/pc use.

Is this possible, if so could someone point my in the right direction please.

Big thanks in advance, I'll look forward to any response.

Kind regards
Dale

Last edited:
OP
D

Dale1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there, yes I have a jailbroken ipad2 and a jailbroken iPhone4, I'm guessing the process should be the same for both devices.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

OP
D

Dale1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi and thanks, does anyone know if this possible please?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Dale,

As you are jail broken I have moved this into the hacking section to see if anyone can help you with your question about fonts.

The Archangel

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To be honest, the best way to use different fonts on the jail broken iPad is to install (from Cydia) the free tweak BytaFont. Then, you'll have thousands of fonts to choose from. With this tweak, you can have different fonts for the springboard, lockscreen clock, the whole system, etc.

I don't believe that using your own font is possible...too much intertwining in the iPad's "innards." Sorry.

Marilyn

OP
D

Dale1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank for the comments.

I've found this site which seems to suggest that fonts can be added to the iPad but I've followed it to the letter and I can't get to load the fonts in any application, such as Pages/Numbers etc, or even on a tweak for the springboard, such as Springtomize. What I mean is that I can't see the newly installed fonts in the settings for any of these apps.

Does anyone have any suggestions/comments please that will help me resolve this, or does anyone know of any recent changes in the iPads software which would hinder this process in anyway. There may be something I've overlooked. Any help would be really appreciated.

http://blog.gauravgiri.com/2008/08/tutorial-adding-extra-fonts-to-iphone/

Kind regards
Dale

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dale, that tutorial is too old now. Apple stopped using TTF's directly and switched to TTC packages which are true type font collections in a single file a long time ago.

The only way you can replace the fonts manually yourself is to create VALID true type font collection files and replace them. Bytafont does this for you, which is why it is recommended. The reason I put VALID in capitals is if you put in a collection which does not properly replace ALL of the font collection with valid fonts for the entire OS, then you risk hanging the device and forcing a restore. IOS does not play nicely when its fonts get corrupted or have missing elements.

If you are absolutely set on doing it manually, you need to go away and research how to cerate full TTC packages for your fonts and then replace the correct system TTC files with your own, but I strongly advise you to follow our advice and hunt down the font packages you want for Bytafont.

Hope that clarifies.

OP
D

Dale1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks very much for your clarification.

It seems like too much hassle for what I need it for so I'll stick to the system fonts for now and look at alternative methods when the needs arise.

In the meantime i'll check out the BytaFont app and see if there are any fonts that are similar to the ones I need.

Thanks for all your help, it's very much appreciated.

Kind regards
Dale

Most reactions