What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Mini 2

chinkywink68

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all Members, has anybody experienced this strange fault I am having with my iPad Mini 2, recently my niece accidentally dropped this item, the visual damage was a cracked screen at the time. I sent my iPad away to be repaired, a new screen was installed straight away. My iPad was returned & after a few days the iPad went crazy, the key pad position moved to the centre of the screen, it was loading automatically, if you pressed one of the keys it would duplicate, it would not allow me to make any changes, eventually I managed to switch off. I have now returned it to the company that installed the screen, the only info I have received from them at present is they have installed another screen, but the problem is still there. Looking forward to hearing any responses from you members, awaiting any replies, thanking you kindly.
Regards :- chinkywink68

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPadForums!

After reading your description, I suppose you split and undocked your keyboard. To undo this, press and hold the keyboard key at the bottom right of the keyboard. When something like "Dock" appears, slide to it (don't lift your finger), to get your keyboard back to the bottom.
image.png

This is a screenshot from an iPad Pro (2015), where you don't have the option to split the keyboard. Your keyboard will look similar, but not exactly the same.

Hope that helps.

OP
C

chinkywink68

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to iPadForums!

After reading your description, I suppose you split and undocked your keyboard. To undo this, press and hold the keyboard key at the bottom right of the keyboard. When something like "Dock" appears, slide to it (don't lift your finger), to get your keyboard back to the bottom.
View attachment 73427
This is a screenshot from an iPad Pro (2015), where you don't have the option to split the keyboard. Your keyboard will look similar, but not exactly the same.

Hope that helps.
Much obliged for the info, will attempt when my iPad will be returned, if the company fails to repair. Once again thanks.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If Johanna's solution is the correct one, I can't understand how the repair shop didn't realize what was going on. They should have known what the problem was as soon as you brought it back the second time.
You may want to consider a different repair shop the next time one of your devices requires repair.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My iPad was returned & after a few days the iPad went crazy, the key pad position moved to the centre of the screen, it was loading automatically, if you pressed one of the keys it would duplicate, it would not allow me to make any changes, eventually I managed to switch off. I have now returned it to the company that installed the screen.......

If Johanna's solution is the correct one, I can't understand how the repair shop didn't realize what was going on. They should have known what the problem was as soon as you brought it back the second time.
You may want to consider a different repair shop the next time one of your devices requires repair.

Hi Chinkywink.. - I'd have to agree w/ Scifan.., i.e. an experienced repair shop should easily recognize the undocking/splitting of the on-screen KB; also, according to the partial quote from your post above, if the KB were simply undocking, then its behaviour should be normal and not as you described.

To let you respond as to the appearance of your screen, I've open Notes on my iPad Air 2 (first image below w/ the 'Docking/Split' option opened) - the second shows the 'Undock' feature, i.e. the KB moves to the center, but then should behave normally; finally, I 'Split' the KB (3rd image) and again its behavior should be normal - this does not seem to be what you described? Dave :)
iPadK1.PNG
iPadK2.PNG
iPadK3.PNG

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all Members, has anybody experienced this strange fault I am having with my iPad Mini 2, recently my niece accidentally dropped this item, the visual damage was a cracked screen at the time. I sent my iPad away to be repaired, a new screen was installed straight away. My iPad was returned & after a few days the iPad went crazy, the key pad position moved to the centre of the screen, it was loading automatically, if you pressed one of the keys it would duplicate, it would not allow me to make any changes, eventually I managed to switch off. I have now returned it to the company that installed the screen, the only info I have received from them at present is they have installed another screen, but the problem is still there. Looking forward to hearing any responses from you members, awaiting any replies, thanking you kindly.

You are experiencing an auto touch problem which was caused by one of two things during the repair:

1) The replacement screen is shorting against the frame. This is common with cheaper quality replacments or screens that aren't taped properly. Or ...

2) the connector that the replacement screen plugs into is cracked or damaged. This is very common with the iPad Mini 2 as this connector is very fragile. It can be repaired but has to be done by someone with board level repair experience. Judging by your experience with your current repair company , you will need to take it elsewhere.

Most reactions