What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to iPads, help needed...

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oberkc said:
I am, by no means, experienced with the vast and various cloud, networked, and shared storage options. My limited experience, however, suggests that such capabilities do, indeed, provide remote access to files.

Perhaps I am wrong, but the original point of this question and answer was related to the value of RAM. As I understand most apps, one has to share documents and files with each app in order to open and edit a file with that app. Doing so, I believe, loads a copy somewhere onto the on-board RAM. If this is accurate, then the value of remote storage does not necessarily to substitute for on-board RAM.

Perhaps others can confirm or deny.

If i am understanding you correctly (its been a long day) then this would be true if remote access is a one way street however, it is truly a two way street so, for example, I have all my photos on my NAS, I can view these remotely or I can download into my iPad edit them then upload back onto my NAS and delete the files from my iPad, thereby removing all traces of it from my iPads SSD but I'm still able to view the new file remotely.

Re-reading your post, I may well have misunderstood, I don't really understand the reference to RAM, once a file is saved on the iPad it will be in the main storage area and therefore any traces of the app it's in or the file itself can drop out of RAM (I should caveat this by stating that I'm no expert on RAM) and I think that you may be confusing RAM which is a temporary working area and the SSD which is where programmes and files reside for calling up when needed.

The Archangel

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
and I think that you may be confusing RAM which is a temporary working area and the SSD which is where programmes and files reside for calling up when needed.

You are probably correct that I use the wrong terms. The memory that I think we are talking about is the equivalent to the SSD memory (16, 32, or 64GB, depending on model of iPad). Whether this is considered SSD, Flash, File Storage, or some other term, I will defer to those who better know.

or I can download into my iPad edit them then upload back onto my NAS and delete the files from my iPad, thereby removing all traces of it from my iPads SSD but I'm still able to view the new file remotely

Which means one has to have sufficient capacity on the "SSD" to do this. Since the OP plans to work with video files (which tend to be relatively large), I believe he will find the extra size SSD to be valuable.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oberkc said:
You are probably correct that I use the wrong terms. The memory that I think we are talking about is the equivalent to the SSD memory (16, 32, or 64GB, depending on model of iPad). Whether this is considered SSD, Flash, File Storage, or some other term, I will defer to those who better know.

Which means one has to have sufficient capacity on the "SSD" to do this. Since the OP plans to work with video files (which tend to be relatively large), I believe he will find the extra size SSD to be valuable.

Yes, I'd agree with that although the ability to hold a limitless number externally could prove useful depending on exact requirements, the CloudFTP can be used for this and those files can then be swapped in and out of the iPad as required (including whilst on the go and without the need to use any data allowance).

The Archangel

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do you know if sending my clips with itunes will degrade the quality of the videos at all? Could you also explain your usb method please? :)

I understand that Itunes can re-size videos for optimum playback on the iPad. (This may be configurable.) Itunes can sync files via your home wifi network, or through iCloud. It may still be able to sync files via USB, but I haven't personally conformed this method since implementing the various upgrades to iOS.

My USB method is based upon the app "fileapppro" and a utility loaded to my PC. It allows a bit more robust drag-and-drop capability with file transfer to, and from, the iPad. Once in fileapppro, you can share files to other compatible apps. As best I can tell, the iPad has a very limited native ability to drag-and-drop files, limited to image files readable by the native picture app. I have not thoroughly explored this capability, so it may be a bit more robust than I have found.

It seems everyone around here has their favorite way of transferring files to the iPad. One I hear consistently is via dropbox. This is my personal favorite, as well. The iCloud is probably just as good. I would hesitate to use either if any of your data is sensitive.

OP
R

RipGroove

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again, no sensitive material to worry about so if I come across any problems with the camera kit method I'm sure I can find some other method that works for me. This in itself is something that's steered me away from Apple products in the past, almost all other tablets and phones available allow the drag drop method to most files (even if they're not compatible on the device itself), working much like a usb flash drive in a pc. I'm sure Apple have they're reasons for this (music copywrite maybe being one), all i know is its ...MODERATOR NOTICE: PLEASE WATCH LANGUAGE....

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Latest posts