What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New member with many questions

Ed62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wasn't sure which forum was the proper one for this, but this seemed like the safest one.

We do not have an iPad or other tablet computer, but one is almost surely in our near future. Now on to the first question.

Since there are so many Androids coming out shortly, along with the new version of the iPad, I am totally confused as what to buy. What are the major considerations for me to look for in a tablet? If it makes a difference, we have a PC instead of a Mac. Gaming is not a consideration, but reading a book would be. It would be used mostly for surfing the 'net and viewing photos or videos. Any suggestions? Any idea when the iPad price will come down? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you take a look at my thread in this same section you will see that I am not at all impressed with the Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Up to you.

Welcome to the Forums Ed62! Where are the 61 other Eds?:D

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not clear what you mean by "videos." There are hundreds of sources for video content. You'll need to clarify that if you want a good answer. I keep a few movies and TV shows (The IT Crowd) that I purchased from iTunes on mine and I just purchased an adapter to connect to my TV so I can rent movies and play them on the big screen. No more Blockbuster for me. I've ripped a DVD or two and copied them to my iPad but that was more an exercise than something I would want to do often. It's easier to just buy the content and download it. But if you have some old home moves on VHS that you must have on your iPad there are ways to get them their.

Web surfing is pretty easy to answer. Make a list of websites that you care about visiting and then go to Best Buy and T-Mobile and try them both. The iPad's SVGA 1024x768 resolution and almost 10 inch screen beat the netbook-like 1024x600 7 inch screens on most other tablets. BUT the iPad doesn't (and probably won't ever) support Flash. If that really matters, look elsewhere.

The iPad has excellent readers for Kindle, and ePub files, as well as PDFs plus there are Nook and Kobo readers so you can purchase ebooks from Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Boarders, O'Reilly and even download a free reader (BlueFire) for the Adobe Digital DRM ebooks That some libraries have for checkout. There is no more versatile ebook reader than the ipad, but it is not without limitations.

Some folks find the lcd screen causes eye strain when reading for long periods of time. I have bad eyes but I keep my backlight at the lowest setting and have never had any eye strain from reading. I don't read more than a hour at a time though so if you plan on hours of reading get a Kindle. Also, reading on an LCD screen outside is almost impossible. That will be true for any computer tablet. Again, if you read outside, get a Kindle.

The other limitation of the iPad as an e-reader is Amazon's fault. They do not allow magazine subscriptions on the ipad Kindle reader. Which sucks because magazines would look much better on the ipad color screen than on the Kindle's greyscale e-ink display.

Last edited:
OP
E

Ed62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forums Ed62! Where are the 61 other Eds?:D
Thanks. The other 61 Eds are my kids. ;)

Not clear what you mean by "videos." You'll need to clarify that if you want a good answer.
BUT the iPad doesn't (and probably won't ever) support Flash. If that really matters, look elsewhere.
The videos will likely be from youtube (is that flash?).
I thought I saw where there was an app to allow viewing flash. Am I wrong?

Thanks for the replies. That helps.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You didn't ask but the other reason I love the higher than netbook resolution is that I use VPN and a remote desktop application called Jump Desktop to remotely login and control my office PC and a couple of dozen Windows Servers from my iPad. If I need to do something at the office, I can be there in less time than it takes to get up and turn on my PC. And I can do it without taking my feet off of the footstool.

OP
E

Ed62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's interesting to say the least. Cool!

Another question, if you don't mind. If I had an iPad, and the drive was getting rather full, could I move some of the stuff off the iPad to the PC temporarily? In other words, could I free up some space so I could load something else into the iPad? If the answer is yes, are there some types of files that can't be moved (aside from iPad files)?

ChIpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do lots of research first before you drop that much money, just make a list of pros and cons with each one you look at, in the long run wil save you time and money before buying something you may or may not be happy with.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would suggest not buying an iPad or Android tablet right now. 2010 CES is very very close, and we will see many new Android tablets, and perhaps some more info on the iPad 2. Normally I don't suggest people wait, but if it's only a few months, it might be worth it to hold off.

You have to ask yourself, do you prefer a device that is VERY simple and smooth but may be limited in some aspects (iPad)? Or do you prefer a device that you can customize the way it looks and feels while sacrificing a little bit of that ease of use (Android)?

I prefer Android OS over iOS because I don't like the adapting to the way Apple thinks things should be done, but I'll still keep my iPad when I get a Android tablet in 3 or 4 months.

Try as many of the devices as you can hands on. Don't rely on people who say that Android is terribly sluggish compared to iOS, and don't rely on the "Apple sucks!" crowd either. It's all comes down to personal desire. What may bother someone terribly may not even make you blink.

Most reactions