What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you are on the fence about which platform to buy

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Excellent discussions here, i would like to add that i love going to the apple store regularly and always try out all the devices, however this friday i went to a local best buy that opened recently, and i tried various tablets there, asus, samsung, motorola, htc, samsung 3d tablet with glasses, and i have to say the apple ipad2 was the best one, the smoothness of the apple was lacking in the other android machines. Saying that price matters, the sales girl told me when the hp tablet became available for £85, the management at best buy in enfield bought majority bulk of the stock, staff the rest and a few customers.  infact on that week, the hp tablet beat apple in the sales numbers 

Sent from my iPad using iPF, using iOS 4.3.2

I'd hope that this will stay strictly to "service after sale". When threads veer into which is smoother/better, etc things can go downhill quickly.

Support Our Troops!!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from this Galaxy

Mark has a point.;)

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I own an Ipad and I own a Galaxy Tab 10.1 , know both systems very well.
If you are equally loving both ios and Android platform one HUGE consideration before buying is service after the sale .
Which manufacturer of the tablet with said operating system is going to be there if something goes wrong after the return window expires
With any platform you can go to a forum and get advice on things like freezing, under performing, etc BUT what if the answer lies in a non user fixable problem is the question.
Though I prefer the Android system over ios, I will be frank and blunt.
Apple has stores and call centers with trained employees dedicated to helping owners get the most from their device. There is no Android, Samsung, Asus, Xoom, etc store beyond the dealer or website where the Android was purchased and that opens a door for inconsistent service after the sale . The same can be said for 800# call centers.
If you are truly 50/50 on which way to go I highly suggest factor in who will take care of your device after purchase as forums and internet searches can only take one so far.
Should you decide on ios I also suggest the Apple Care extended warranty because most devices don't start acting up during the initial warranty period, it is almost always just after the regular one expires
Just my .02 and not meant to try to pursued anyone anywhere to or away from anything.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Very good post. Thanks so much for your observations. This also reminded me of a related issue.

I do not have a lot of Apple products. I had an iPod and iTunes before I decided to buy an iPad. I played around with an iPad in my local Apple store, so I had some feel for basic features. When I finally bought one, I had one of the Apple reps help me set it up, entering my email and iTunes accounts, so that I knew that I had some basic connectivity and setup before I left the store with the device. A small thing perhaps, but it made initial use a lot smoother than it might have otherwise been.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very good post. Thanks so much for your observations. This also reminded me of a related issue.

I do not have a lot of Apple products. I had an iPod and iTunes before I decided to buy an iPad. I played around with an iPad in my local Apple store, so I had some feel for basic features. When I finally bought one, I had one of the Apple reps help me set it up, entering my email and iTunes accounts, so that I knew that I had some basic connectivity and setup before I left the store with the device. A small thing perhaps, but it made initial use a lot smoother than it might have otherwise been.
Very good point. I doubt if the folks that sell tablets at [insert any other store name here] would be able to do the same.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...Here's an interesting article on the subject with links to the various enterprise departments within Apple:

Apple Cares about Enterprise - The Appconomy

Rich,

Thanks for that link. I'd heard vague references to Apple's efforts at better enterprise/mission critical sales and support but not much in the way of hard information.

Fortunately, I'm not in the IT procurement department in my company but I have been curious about Apple's efforts to reach out pro-actively to those that are.

Not meant as a criticism and only basing the following on the article you cited, but if it's accurate I do see a couple of "holes" in Apple's efforts.

It's good to see that Apple stores are making an effort to respond to very small businesses interested in purchasing/supporting a few iPads (5 or fewer according to the article.) And I'm not surprised to see that customers interested in purchasing "hundreds" of devices have a place to go. But that does leave a huge gap for businesses between those two extremes.

Many businesses, including my own, expect and need more focused attention than a part-time sales person in an Apple store can provide but aren't in the category of purchasing "hundreds" of devices. This is a difficult task for any manufacturer, Apple included. The payoff for special attention to a customer who supports, say, 10-80 devices isn't tremendous, but the requirements for that kind of support is more challenging than typically provided by an employee in a retail outlet.

The second challenge is supporting the lone "road warrior," a user whose needs are more focused than a typical consumer and who may well need support specific to interfacing to a corporate network. If the manufacturer is already well connected to the corporation the individual user may be well supported. But if not, they're usually on their own with consumer level generic support.

Lenovo and a few other manufacturers have targeted both of these situations. And that's why they sell so well into business environments. As Apple extends its efforts in business and other organizations, the challenge is to match those efforts.

P.S. Apologies for hijacking the topic with these comments. As the lawyers say on TV, the door was opened by previous testimony.

OP
Mountainbikermark
Reaction score
...Here's an interesting article on the subject with links to the various enterprise departments within Apple:

Rich,

Thanks for that link. I'd heard vague references to Apple's efforts at better enterprise/mission critical sales and support but not much in the way of hard information.

Fortunately, I'm not in the IT procurement department in my company but I have been curious about Apple's efforts to reach out pro-actively to those that are.

Not meant as a criticism and only basing the following on the article you cited, but if it's accurate I do see a couple of "holes" in Apple's efforts.

It's good to see that Apple stores are making an effort to respond to very small businesses interested in purchasing/supporting a few iPads (5 or fewer according to the article.) And I'm not surprised to see that customers interested in purchasing "hundreds" of devices have a place to go. But that does leave a huge gap for businesses between those two extremes.

Many businesses, including my own, expect and need more focused attention than a part-time sales person in an Apple store can provide but aren't in the category of purchasing "hundreds" of devices. This is a difficult task for any manufacturer, Apple included. The payoff for special attention to a customer who supports, say, 10-80 devices isn't tremendous, but the requirements for that kind of support is more challenging than typically provided by an employee in a retail outlet.

The second challenge is supporting the lone "road warrior," a user whose needs are more focused than a typical consumer and who may well need support specific to interfacing to a corporate network. If the manufacturer is already well connected to the corporation the individual user may be well supported. But if not, they're usually on their own with consumer level generic support.

Lenovo and a few other manufacturers have targeted both of these situations. And that's why they sell so well into business environments. As Apple extends its efforts in business and other organizations, the challenge is to match those efforts.

P.S. Apologies for hijacking the topic with these comments. As the lawyers say on TV, the door was opened by previous testimony.

The whole reason I started this thread was to suggest get educated on who will take care of your tablet best after the sale .
I only saw that information and the link you based it on as adding to the education and I for one appreciate it.

Support Our Troops!!

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Rich,

Good feedback, although it sounds like you haven't actually discussed your requirements with Apple. I don't think the assumptions you're making about mid-sized business support make good sense since as you point out they are obviously supporting small and large businesses. Leaving out an entire segment of the business world wouldn't be in their best interest. The article I linked is only one of many out there so some more research is probably in order for anyone wanting to find out more.

Everyone's best bet is to contact Apple directly. Every store has several employees dedicated to enterprise support and of course if a store isn't nearby, going straight to Apple is the next step...

Apple Business Experts: 1-800-854-3680

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes!

Last edited:

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TBO I'd like an iPadthe same angular form as iPhone4, but with a 7" screen.

My main criticisms of the ip2 being very uncomfortable to handle, due to the sharp edges.

I want something I can hold, not strip wallpaper with :(.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TBO I'd like an iPadthe same angular form as iPhone4, but with a 7" screen.

My main criticisms of the ip2 being very uncomfortable to handle, due to the sharp edges.

I want something I can hold, not strip wallpaper with :(.
Understood what you'd like to have, but let's keep the thread on topic, a discussion about tablet platforms. TIA!

OP
Mountainbikermark
Reaction score
I was kinda hoping it would stay on customer service after the sale :blush:

Support Our Troops!!

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good feedback, although it sounds like you haven't actually discussed your requirements with Apple. I don't think the assumptions you're making about mid-sized business support make good sense since as you point out they are obviously supporting small and large businesses. Leaving out an entire segment of the business world wouldn't be in their best interest. The article I linked is only one of many out there so some more research is probably in order for anyone wanting to find out more.

Everyone's best bet is to contact Apple directly. Every store has several employees dedicated to enterprise support and of course if a store isn't nearby, going straight to Apple is the next step...

Rich,

You're correct. I was basing my minimally informed comments completely on the article you linked and my own experience over the years in getting support in businesses that are too large for an average retail sales person and a part-time tech to handle and too small for true enterprise support to be profitable. It's a challenge for all vendors, not just Apple.

As I noted in my first comment, I'm (thankfully) not in charge of supporting or procuring computer equipment in my firm these days. And I keep my nose out of the whole area lest someone think I should take on that responsibility. :D

I do think the information you've shared in this thread deserves wider distribution on this board, however. In my months here I've noted a number of posts from people in small and midsize businesses and educational institutions looking for answers about deploying five, ten, or even fifty iPads. I've never seen answers to those questions as useful as the information you've provided in this thread. Adding a thread to the forums dealing with the iPad at Work and iPad at School would be a great idea, I'd think. (Hint, hint.) :D

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Rich,

You're correct. I was basing my minimally informed comments completely on the article you linked and my own experience over the years in getting support in businesses that are too large for an average retail sales person and a part-time tech to handle and too small for true enterprise support to be profitable. It's a challenge for all vendors, not just Apple.

As I noted in my first comment, I'm (thankfully) not in charge of supporting or procuring computer equipment in my firm these days. And I keep my nose out of the whole area lest someone think I should take on that responsibility. :D

I do think the information you've shared in this thread deserves wider distribution on this board, however. In my months here I've noted a number of posts from people in small and midsize businesses and educational institutions looking for answers about deploying five, ten, or even fifty iPads. I've never seen answers to those questions as useful as the information you've provided in this thread. Adding a thread to the forums dealing with the iPad at Work and iPad at School would be a great idea, I'd think. (Hint, hint.) :D
As they say, great minds think alike! You'll find a special area on our forum discussing iPads for business and education:

iPad for Business and Education - Apple iPad Forum

Enjoy!

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
If you are equally loving both ios and Android platform one HUGE consideration before buying is service after the sale .
Which manufacturer of the tablet with said operating system is going to be there if something goes wrong after the return window expires
With any platform you can go to a forum and get advice on things like freezing, under performing, etc BUT what if the answer lies in a non user fixable problem is the question.
Apple has stores and call centers with trained employees dedicated to helping owners get the most from their device. There is no Android, Samsung, Asus, Xoom, etc store beyond the dealer or website where the Android was purchased and that opens a door for inconsistent service after the sale . The same can be said for 800# call centers.
If you are truly 50/50 on which way to go I highly suggest factor in who will take care of your device after purchase as forums and internet searches can only take one so far.
Should you decide on ios I also suggest the Apple Care extended warranty because most devices don't start acting up during the initial warranty period, it is almost always just after the regular one expires
Just my .02 and not meant to try to pursued anyone anywhere to or away from anything.

Support Our Troops!!

Responding as a small business owner for some 25 years,

I find it is always a torturous affair selecting the 'best' IT device solutions either when upgrading or buying new.

after sales is a consideration, but the premisses of warranty in my experience are rarely as described in life as when sold. Being fairly ignorant if all three candidates, I pondered long and hard between android, blackberry and iPhone, before taking the big switch away from my familiar if buggy windows based phones, and not wanting to jump into the another fire.

As a business I don't enjoy the same level of 'fit for purpose' protection as enjoyed by a private consumer, credit card transactions as example and who needs to lose time and expense on the legal gamble of suing?

So my choice starts polarise between high cost and known quality or cheaper and easier to afford to replace if needs be.

That is not cut and dried, the apple and blackberry products have an envious track record for reliability and quality, android devices are let's say getting better. But there's a wider picture to see, a device may well work for several years, but by 2-3 years it is old hat, so s it that terrible to pay less but be overall more up to date?

Larger organisations will be giving these expensive devices out to engineers or sales reps, seen many well kept and cared for rep's car? So what chance these fairly fragile units keeping their pristine appearance for say 4 years? Tatty appearance don't aid sales. Chances are it will go six months and be so aesthetically damaged to need replacing or the person leaves employ with it, so IMHO makes extended warranty not a 'runner'.

Because I do take care of my equipment I eventually went for Apple, but if your hard on such devices I suggest perhaps go Android if only for cheaper replacement cost.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:

Support Our Troops!!

Responding as a small business owner for some 25 years,

I find it is always a torturous affair selecting the 'best' IT device solutions either when upgrading or buying new.

after sales is a consideration, but the premisses of warranty in my experience are rarely as described in life as when sold. Being fairly ignorant if all three candidates, I pondered long and hard between android, blackberry and iPhone, before taking the big switch away from my familiar if buggy windows based phones, and not wanting to jump into the another fire.

As a business I don't enjoy the same level of 'fit for purpose' protection as enjoyed by a private consumer, credit card transactions as example and who needs to lose time and expense on the legal gamble of suing?

So my choice starts polarise between high cost and known quality or cheaper and easier to afford to replace if needs be.

That is not cut and dried, the apple and blackberry products have an envious track record for reliability and quality, android devices are let's say getting better. But there's a wider picture to see, a device may well work for several years, but by 2-3 years it is old hat, so s it that terrible to pay less but be overall more up to date?

Larger organisations will be giving these expensive devices out to engineers or sales reps, seen many well kept and cared for rep's car? So what chance these fairly fragile units keeping their pristine appearance for say 4 years? Tatty appearance don't aid sales. Chances are it will go six months and be so aesthetically damaged to need replacing or the person leaves employ with it, so IMHO makes extended warranty not a 'runner'.

Because I do take care of my equipment I eventually went for Apple, but if your hard on such devices I suggest perhaps go Android if only for cheaper replacement cost.
Good points all. Another consideration is security. If you Google "Android Malware" you'll find that the incidence of problems is skyrocketing (http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/23/us-mcafee-android-malware-idUSTRE77M0WN20110823) whereas Apple's "Walled Garden" approach currently yields zero security issues. That's not to say something can't happen and Apple products are capable of passing along Windows and Android problems within files. However having to deal with those kinds of issues on a daily basis keeps most I.T. departments humming...and at a cost.

Also, I wouldn't consider the iPad fragile at all...any more than any smartphone. In my experience they are almost immune to day-to-day wear and tear. I've dropped mine some pretty decent heights on more than one occasion and with the exception of a small dent near a speaker, there are no problems at all. Three year full replacement converge (including broken screens, etc.) via SquareTrade is very inexpensive if that's a concern. The cheapest solution of course is a case. The slim Apple iPad case is very tough and for "combat" situations Otterbox makes cases that are incredibly strong.

Thanks again for the well thought out feedback. You made the right decision on a number of levels IMHO. Well done!

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams said:
Good points all. Another consideration is security. If you Google "Android Malware" you'll find that the incidence of problems is skyrocketing (http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/23/us-mcafee-android-malware-idUSTRE77M0WN20110823) whereas Apple's "Walled Garden" approach currently yields zero security issues. That's not to say something can't happen and Apple products are capable of passing along Windows and Android problems within files. However having to deal with those kinds of issues on a daily basis keeps most I.T. departments humming...and at a cost.

Also, I wouldn't consider the iPad fragile at all...any more than any smartphone. In my experience they are almost immune to day-to-day wear and tear. I've dropped mine some pretty decent heights on more than one occasion and with the exception of a small dent near a speaker, there are no problems at all. Three year full replacement converge (including broken screens, etc.) via SquareTrade is very inexpensive if that's a concern. The cheapest solution of course is a case. The slim Apple iPad case is very tough and for "combat" situations Otterbox makes cases that are incredibly strong.

Thanks again for the well thought out feedback. You made the right decision on a number of levels IMHO. Well done!

I think if I were the guy who chose the company technology, tbh I'd likely go Android.

In my days of employment i used company supplied drills and test meters, considering a good reliable meter is a true friend of anyone in electronic servicing, most were treated with utter disregard and lasted 6 months if lucky. It might still work but a tatty meter presented to a client who is paying dearly for your services never did go down to well (I bought my own).

Today a lot of kit i use is programmed and diagnosed using laptops, natural progression would be to use tablets as is done on many service organisations, often using bespoke software models, 'scratch ability' or resistance to, would be a factor higher in my choice considerations than any true longevity.

Against that Apple is like the Mercedes of smart phones, ozing class, blackberry = BMW. Boy racer With cheaper servicing, and Android = Evo, fast and furious but best you don't have a crash in one :0)

Most reactions

Latest posts