What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New IPad user. Question about syncing calendars....

ashleydawnm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I just purchased my new IPad a few days ago and I love it!!

I had a question about syncing calendars, I have read other posts on here but nothing has helped me. I have a Samsung galaxy s3 phone with its own calendar on it and I really want to get that calendar on my IPad... How would I go about doing that? Also how do you correctly close apps you are not using, I don't see an exit button or close button so I just hit the home button on the bottom of the IPad, is this correct?

Thanks for all your help!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I had a question about syncing calendars, I have read other posts on here but nothing has helped me. I have a Samsung galaxy s3 phone with its own calendar on it and I really want to get that calendar on my IPad... How would I go about doing that? Also how do you correctly close apps you are not using, I don't see an exit button or close button so I just hit the home button on the bottom of the IPad, is this correct?

Hi there Ashley and welcome.

Presumably your calendar on your galaxy is linked to an account? If so, use the same account on your iPad and enable it for the calendar and it should sync.

You don't really need to close apps but if you want to you can do a four finger swipe up to reveal the task bar, then touch and hold an app in that bar and a minus sign will appear in the corner of the apps, press the minus sign and the app will close completely. To close the bar do a four finger swipe down.

There is lots of good advice and info on here plus plenty of members all too willing to help with any problems.

Remember, search is your friend. If you can't find the answer you need and you post a question then give as much info as you can to help members help you i.e. iPad 1 or 2, etc. and iOS version and name of app if the problem is with a specific app........and please don't forget to read the forum rules http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

These are the hacking section rules for all you jail breakers (and would be jail breakers) http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2892-hacking-section-rules-please-read.html

We also have an app for this forum. The link to download the app is: Discussion Forum for iPad Users for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store and a great tutorial/guide for using the IPF App here http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...sistance/107524-ipad-forums-app-tutorial.html

You can download the manual for your iPad here http://help.apple.com/ipad/6/ and here http://support.apple.com/manuals/ and in iBooks search for "iPad user guide for" and you will find free comprehensive manuals for iOS 4, 5, 6, etc.

If you have other Apple products or are interested in other Apple kit then why not join our sister forum too at http://www.appleforums.net/ and for iPhone users, come and join in the discussion over at http://www.iphoneforums.net

The Archangel

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Could you please tell what you've already tried, and if you want to sync one or multiple Google calendars? (There's a difference.)

As Gabriel1 already told: if it's just one calendar that you want to sync, set up your Gmail account and make sure that "Calendar" is enabled.
Then go to your Calendar app on your iPad, tap "Calendars" and also make sure there that Google has a check mark.

If this doesn't work set it up as CalDAV calendar:
Go to Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Tap "Add Account" - Other - Add CalDAV Account.
Server: google.com
User name: your Google email address
Password: your Gmail password
Description: enter whatever you like

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Could you please tell what you've already tried, and if you want to sync one or multiple Google calendars? (There's a difference.)

As Gabriel1 already told: if it's just one calendar that you want to sync, set up your Gmail account and make sure that "Calendar" is enabled.
Then go to your Calendar app on your iPad, tap "Calendars" and also make sure there that Google has a check mark.

If this doesn't work set it up as CalDAV calendar:
Go to Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Tap "Add Account" - Other - Add CalDAV Account.
Server: google.com
User name: your Google email address
Password: your Gmail password
Description: enter whatever you like

You can enable multiple calendar syncing with a standard Google account setup (Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Add Account > GMail. Just go to https://www.google.com/calendar/iphoneselect and check each calendar you want to appear in the Calendar app. All your own calendars and any you've subscribed to should be there. Do this after you add the GMail account to the iPad and/or whenever you add or subscribed to new calendars on Google.

I'd only use the . . .Other > CalDAV setup if I specifically did not want the other GMail services to show up; though you could just turn them off in the standard account's settings. It 'might' also work if you somehow managed to get a Google calendar account but not an GMail account, if that is possible.

OP
ashleydawnm

ashleydawnm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, I tried everything and nothing has worked, I'm obviously doing something wrong. I'm so confused on why its not working

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, I tried everything and nothing has worked, I'm obviously doing something wrong. I'm so confused on why its not working

Can you see your calendar on a computer browser at the Google Calendar site?

Almost everything suggested (including my own) has assumed your Samsung is syncing with Google. If it isn't, then that has to be solved first.

OP
ashleydawnm

ashleydawnm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just checked and no I can't, that's what's wrong I guess but it's says its synced with my gmail calendar but still nothing shows on the browser calendar

OP
ashleydawnm

ashleydawnm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And for some reason it has synced my hotmail calendar but not google

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok. Then most likely you have your Samsung device's calendar set to sync to HotMail, not GMail.

I don't have a Hotmail account, so I don't know the details, but I believe you can sync your Hotmail calendar with the iPad. If you can, you should see a Calendar switch in your Hotmail account settings on the iPad under Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars under the Accounts section. Make sure it's turned on. If you don't have your Hotmail account set up on the iPad, you'll need to do so. There should be a default Microsoft Hotmail setup option when you choose Add Account.

In the Calendar app, tap the Calendar button at the top left and make sure your Hotmail account and calendar are there and checked so you can view them.

You can sync both Hotmail and GMail calendars with the iPad at the same time, but they will be different calendars/accounts. You can't have them be the same calendar on both services. If you decide to use Google to sync instead you'll have to recreate your calendar on Google, then set both the Samsung and iPad to sync to that service by adding those accounts to both devices.

I can't help with the settings on the Samsung side. I have a Nexus 7, but I'm sure the settings are different.

Good luck.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you choose your Hotmail account as Samsung account on your Android? Perhaps that's the reason why your SGS 3 syncs your Hotmail calendar. When you go to your Calendar app on your SGS and go to Settings, which accounts do you find there? Is it just a Google account, or a Hotmail account as well?

You should tap the Gmail account and check mark the calendars you want to sync to your iPad. Perhaps they'll show up in the browser after you have done that, so that you may enable them to sync to your iDevice.

Last edited:
OP
ashleydawnm

ashleydawnm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No my gmail is assigned to my Samsung account. I can add an event to my Samsung calendar and it syncs fine to my gmail calendar on my phone but will not sync to my browser gmail calendar. But if I create an event in my gmail calendar on my browser it syncs to my IPad perfectly

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No my gmail is assigned to my Samsung account. I can add an event to my Samsung calendar and it syncs fine to my gmail calendar on my phone but will not sync to my browser gmail calendar. But if I create an event in my gmail calendar on my browser it syncs to my IPad perfectly

I don't know if the Samsung calendar syncs to iPad. I've tried that some time ago, but never managed to get it to sync. Now I use the Calendar app (Gmail calendar), and with that one it works quite well.

OP
ashleydawnm

ashleydawnm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried using the gmail calendar app as well but it still does not work and won't sync to my IPad, I am getting so frustrated with this lol. Could you tell me what steps you did?

Most reactions

Latest posts