What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad owner, laptop replacement/supplement

firmament

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I am an American living in the Middle East (paid a horrible markup for this 16 gig 3G iPad but oh well, and at least it's unlocked).

I've never owned an Apple desktop or laptop. In 05 I got an iPod and was impressed. In 09 got an HP laptop which during this year began to suffer a screen flicker that would have cost hundreds of dollars for anyone to fix. It was at this time I began to think of an alternative. In April I had bought an iPhone 3GS and loved it. Up until a few days ago it was basically my replacement for my collapsing laptop. Using the iPhone made the idea of owning an iPad all the more attractive, and as I read people's accounts of using the iPad to replace other machines I became sold. Taking my iPad out of its box and plastic wrap and loading it to iTunes felt like caring for a new baby.

I think this machine is what I had been expecting a computer to be like all along, and I think it will really change things in the world of personal computing.

I plan to use the forum as a source of news and advice for using my iPad.

So far I would say my favorite app has been iBooks. I also like FileApp Pro for managing stuff I needed to get off my laptop to email out to others or just store in another place. I first had these apps on my iPhone and enjoyed them. On this machine they are even better.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would say desktop companion as opposed to laptop replacement if your laptop is your only computer...if you have a desktop I see no need for a laptop, ipad is perfect.

But honestly you could pick up an iPad and a Mac Mini for less than a laptop.

RoadPilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me, my iPad is a supplement to, not a replacement for, my primary computer.

Tablets still have a long way to go before I can dump a full-blown computer for a tablet with limited capabilities and for a device that remains too reliant upon a single company's proprietary software (e.g., iTunes) and hardware (e.g., Apple accessories required to perform simple tasks, such as transfer photos from memory cards to tablet).

I would need a device with a plethora of support for lots of software to support the device, and it would need to support various industry-standard connectivity measures (e.g., USB devices, swappable memory cards, etc.).

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me, my iPad is a supplement to, not a replacement for, my primary computer.

Tablets still have a long way to go before I can dump a full-blown computer for a tablet with limited capabilities and for a device that remains too reliant upon a single company's proprietary software (e.g., iTunes) and hardware (e.g., Apple accessories required to perform simple tasks, such as transfer photos from memory cards to tablet).

I would need a device with a plethora of support for lots of software to support the device, and it would need to support various industry-standard connectivity measures (e.g., USB devices, swappable memory cards, etc.).

What are you talking about? Apple has only made a handful of applications for there own device, there are thousands of 3rd party software developers that make the iOS platform so powerful. And there are also plenty of 3rd party accessories, it just happens that apple makes the highest quality accessories fir their product, imagine that.

As for USB devices and memory cards, spend 30 bucks and get the cam a kit, then you can use both...if you're jail broken you can use file to access anything on your mem card just like any computer. There are some accessories like headphones and mics and I think some keyboards that work too....but that's the responsibility of accessory devs to make them compatible.....not apple.

Last edited:
OP
firmament

firmament

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Isn't there some kind of USB adapter available for the iPad's data port?

I see your point generally, with both the small market share and business practices of Apple there will be limitations on what is available and that is a big minus. I am not particularly happy with itunes. I do tend to find the quality of the hardware to lessen the impact of this lack of choice.

@wakawaka. Every day brings me closer to selling my laptop off for parts. Right now I am mostly using it as a large battery for my iPhone and iPad because my wall plugs are inconveniently far from my bed.

@gentlefury. The iPad seems to make a serviceable desktop if you dock or Bluetooth a keyboard to it, and converting it to a portable is easy. The other convertibles I have seen seem to require it to function exactly like a laptop when docked, but bluetoothing an ipad would allow you to move the display up higher or further away since it's not attached to the keyboard. If you buy the dock stand you can keep it on ac power and have a Bluetooth keyboard.

Reviews I've seen of other tablets with non mobile OSes and big hard drives very often mention how slowly they run. For a machine with such relatively outdated technical specs the iPad runs smooth and fast.

OP
firmament

firmament

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My first two paragraphs were directed at RoadPilot.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Isn't there some kind of USB adapter available for the iPad's data port?

I see your point generally, with both the small market share and business practices of Apple there will be limitations on what is available and that is a big minus. I am not particularly happy with itunes. I do tend to find the quality of the hardware to lessen the impact of this lack of choice.

@wakawaka. Every day brings me closer to selling my laptop off for parts. Right now I am mostly using it as a large battery for my iPhone and iPad because my wall plugs are inconveniently far from my bed.

@gentlefury. The iPad seems to make a serviceable desktop if you dock or Bluetooth a keyboard to it, and converting it to a portable is easy. The other convertibles I have seen seem to require it to function exactly like a laptop when docked, but bluetoothing an ipad would allow you to move the display up higher or further away since it's not attached to the keyboard. If you buy the dock stand you can keep it on ac power and have a Bluetooth keyboard.

Reviews I've seen of other tablets with non mobile OSes and big hard drives very often mention how slowly they run. For a machine with such relatively outdated technical specs the iPad runs smooth and fast.

I agree it works great on it's own (I bought one for my little bro to be his primary computer in college), but it's better to have a desktop and iPad. I have 3TB storage on my desktop for starters. I stream all video from it. Also you can backup your iPad which is very helpful. Also updates require a desktop.

EODtech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me, my iPad is a supplement ..........

That is exactly what my iPad is !

OP
firmament

firmament

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gentlefury's mention of the iPad and Mac mini combo now has me interested. That could be a replacement which has the benefits of both a laptop and desktop along with the easy portability of the iPad plus its versatility when used as either an attached monitor or alone.

Most reactions

Latest posts