What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laptop Replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaulknerReborn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to the site, but love all of the information. I'm planning on getting an iPad 32 gig Wi-Fi in a week. Can it replace my laptop? Mine is 5 years old and needs an updating anyway. I only use it to compose documents and slide show presentations and search the internet. I dont normally download a ton of music or movies. My wife at the same time will get a MacBook Pro.

Will my needs be met by the iPad or should I plan on taking my wife's laptop to school quite a bit? Thanks for the help.

Lucryster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You'll want to get a keyboard with it, and the word processing program you can buy for it is pretty bare bones.

OP
F

FaulknerReborn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Lucryster,
I was planning on the wireless keyboard for when Im at home. I notices Pages looks a tad bland, but really how amazing do research papers need to be? The end result always seems to look drab anyway.

Benm1020

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It depends it will replace a laptop but not a desktop meaning you still need something with the ipad i say dont get the zaggmate because your just turning a very portable device to a laptop and spending 600 for what has limited things

Q1014

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If your planning to use the iPad for all of those things it's definitely a possible replacement for a laptop. Ive had mine for about 2 weeks and i have only opened up my laptop to download music or movies for my other Apple Products. Its great for surfing the web and composing documents but i have no experience with its slideshow/keynote abilities. i have typed an outline on it and once i got over the learning curve of Pages i was quite pleased. The only thing is like Lucryster said youre going to want a physical keyboard for projects that require a lot of writing i plan on purchasing one in the next couple of weeks

ManicTL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Faulkner, I love my Ipad, but would recommend still having a basic desktop or laptop. The lack of Flash will mean you will miss out on certain content on the web. Also, file management can be cumbersome on the Ipad. With that said, I think there are some good applications for document creation.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You wouldn't find any thing close to say "Power Point" to prepare a sophisticated presentation.
Yes you can find programs to help you out with what I call basic presentation ( I am used to technical very detailed full of illustration kind of slides)

Also surfing the net - No Flash.
EMail ? Try to send 4 attachment. a picture a document a voice recording and some other file in one letter.

Bottom line.
It can be somewhat a replacement for sales people - not technical people

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, its cannot replace a laptop. And you need to have some sort of real computer so that the ipad can function correctly. If the iPad had some USB ports and a basic file manager and one or two other things, then yes it could replace a laptop easily.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a friend who attends college and seems to have no problem using an iPad for papers, documents, and presentations.

This is a presentation given from an iPad:

https://files.me.com/s_bowman/hjtum3.key.zip

For info on how to use an iPad for productivity at work or school, visit Apple's website:

Apple - iPad - Powerful presentations at your fingertips.

Depending on what the needs are of the user, an iPad could replace about 85% of what a laptop can do, more or less. For some, it does everything as a standalone computing device if used with a cloud OS. All depends on how you use it, what your needs are, and how much you know.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is my review as a college student who forced himself to use nothing but the iPad.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-reviews/15070-students-ipad-experience-8-months-later.html

If you don't want to read all of it, my summary:

It "works" for most of the things you will need, but it's nowhere near as convenient as a laptop and it all depends what kind of a student you are. I got a MacBook Pro 13" with Microsoft Office loaded and have now been using that at school primarily and it's a much better experience. The new MacBook Pro will last 9 hours doing just regular word processing/presentations and web browsing. Since I got it, I haven't touched my iPad. I still carried my iPad in a bag, so it's not like it's really any more portable than the MacBook Pro and it actually starts up faster than the iPad and opens/switches between programs faster as well.

SBHOKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like everyone has said before me, it could replace your laptop. Since getting mine I have only had to open my laptop for flash material. I've owned this iPad for a month and a half. I can't tell you the last time I turned on my desktop. I have the "Pages" application for my documents and it does everything I need. I also purchased an HP ePrinter and print wirelessly with total satisfaction. I use this for work and home, love not having to take the laptop out anymore. I email customers their bills from an app in the app store while I am still there. They love it. Probably have sold a few iPads for Apple in the process. I know of at least 2.

It all comes down to what you need. If your wife is getting a Mac then this just might just work out for you. Good luck.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MacBook plus iPad

Agreed on preferring a MacBook for full mobile computing, though I admit that I have hardly used my iMac since bringing home the iPad. The next computer I do get though is going to be the 11.6 MacBook air. It's only a few oz. more than the iPad, barely longer, as thin or thinner, and has full computing capability. It's lightning quick too. Especially since one could be had for as little as $849 from Apple.com's refurbished section.

Paired up with a cloud, and an external hard drive, (and maybe an external SuperDrive if needed), and it's got everything I need in a mobile computer. Ever since the new Air debuted, I've been thinking about how to pair the two up on the go for the ultimate in mobile computing.

productImage_bookbook.jpg

I'm thinking about using a modified mbp 13" Twelve South case to carry both; one on each side of the folded book-like cover. When closed, it appears as a leather-bound book. The combined thickness of an iPad and a MacBook Air should be about the same as a mbp 13, and therefore fit. Less weight though: 1.6 lbs + 2.3 lbs; total 3.9lbs compared to 5.6. And there's enough room left over in the ipad's 2.5x9" void to pack the iSpot, and the power cords. MacBook plus iPad. Does it get any better? :)

Last edited:

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The mbp 13 is a fine machine itself! Plus you can perform upgrades on the pro. Not so on the Air. It is what it is. Puppy's all sealed up and soldered together. Not a bad thing if you know what you want out of your machine ahead of time. ( I read that you upgraded your hd to a solid state- that should scream past the fastest Air available, with it's 2.4 processor and 4GB RAM. The graphics card in the pro is a bit faster too if I am not mistaken, and you've got FireWire connectivity in case you need to transfer data fast. A fine computer for sure.

On the Air's battery life, the 11.6"er is rated for about half that of the 13" pro; 5 vs 10 hrs, ( the 13" air is rated for 7 hr battery life). There are external portable battery packs that plug into the macs magafe port to add up to 15 more hours of battery life for those in between charging sources for longer periods of time. Also plugs into iPads. Bonus! 8) $169

There's also the airline/auto/USB combo charger by itself, made by Kensington for $69. Can charge the iPad, MacBook, and whatever else that charges via USB on the go. Apple makes a auto/airline charger, minus the USB charging ports, for $49.

Back on topic regarding the iPad as a laptop replacement, I have been considering getting a Clamcase for the pad since first seeing it. If I end up not going the Mac/iPad combo packed into a single bookbook route, I'll probably get the Clamcase. As long as i can pop it out as needed, it appears to be a nice accessory for the iPad user looking for a more laptop-like experience.

Last edited:

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like that BookBook case. I wonder though how well the velvet interior dissipates heat. Not that the MBP gets super hot or anything anyways, but I still never try to use my laptop on a fully fabric surface.

I'm going to do more research on it, and might end up picking it up. But then I'm concerned that it will become a conversation piece and people will keep asking me about it, which takes me away from my studies. A normal case or the bag that I carry now wouldn't cause that problem.

Thanks for posting it!

As far as external battery packs go, I carry one for my smartphone, but I don't know if I would be willing to part with ~$220 for that power pac + MagSafe adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts