What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad 2 and problems with BBC iplayer

Frootshoot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello peeps. Recently bought my lovely new iPad and it's amazing. The only problem is I can't get BBC iplayer to work. Programs don't load in the app (live tv works) and if I try in safari I just get the loading quick time logo. I've tried removing the app no joy, I've rebooted the iPad and no joy and I've done a complete power drain and no joy. I've got 20Mbps virgin media conection and I watch the iplayer no problem on my laptop. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad BBC iPlayer app only supports streaming - no 'downloading' for offline viewing. There are future developments that the BBC are working on that will support both downloading and the use of 3G - you'll probably have seen some well-publicised comments by the BBC on this - but I've not seen a projected date yet for the release of this new version of the app.

Tim

OP
F

Frootshoot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I'm not trying to watch a program off line just watch any of the catch up programs online. And I can't figure out for the life of my why it won't work. I'm using wifi not the 3G connection. 4od and itvi player work fine it's just the bbci player that won't work.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - I've just tried this and I get the rotating white bezel for about 5 minutes before the program starts to play. See if you leave it longer it starts to work.

Tim

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know I keep saying this in these threads but I don't think it is a problem with the app, I can play all programmes through the iPlayer app with no more than a few seconds delay to start and no buffering, in most cases it appears to be a problem between the router and the iPad. First thing to do is make sure that your routers firmware is up to date, if that doesn't work you may need to change your router but before you do that I would suggest that you try running on the wifi in, say, a Starbucks or maybe a couple of your friends routers, if it works on any of these then it definitely isn't the app and must be the router.

The Archangel

OP
F

Frootshoot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's. I'm going to update the routers firmware later. I don't hold much hope tbh as it's a brand new router but we shall see. I'll let you know how it goes. And I've just been reading on the BBC website this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbiplayer/NF13735683?thread=8083066

It seems to be a problem lots of people seem to be having.

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Frootshoot said:
Thanks for the reply's. I'm going to update the routers firmware later. I don't hold much hope tbh as it's a brand new router but we shall see. I'll let you know how it goes. And I've just been reading on the BBC website this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbiplayer/NF13735683?thread=8083066

It seems to be a problem lots of people seem to be having.

Interesting link, here is the thing though, if we both have the same app, exactly the same app and mine works fine then I can't see a logical way that the app can be at fault, so we need to look elsewhere. Even if your router is brand new and it's firmware is fully updated it won't necessarily work properly with your iPad. There are lots of threads here on this subject with some good fixes.....it's worth doing a search and some reading before doing anything too drastic.

The Archangel

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
It is a very common but not universal problem with iplayer on the iPad. Just because you don't have a fault Gabriel doesn't mean it isn't a problem with the app. I too have seen the fault but it comes and goes sometimes works on my wifi sometimes doesn't. Same if I try other routers or other wifi networks.

I accept it could be a problem with routers but with so many people reporting it, you would have thought somebody would have figured out a commonality across everybody with the problem. Whether it's certain routers or firewalls or ports needing opened etc.

OP
F

Frootshoot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey. Just finished updating the firmware and no joy. I also logged into next doors wifi (with their permission) and exactly the same problem. They have a different router but on the same isp. So it doesn't make a lot of sense. Tbh though it means I thankfully havnt had to watch eastenders in bed this morning with my missus. So I'm kinda thankful for that.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DefBref said:
It is a very common but not universal problem with iplayer on the iPad. Just because you don't have a fault Gabriel doesn't mean it isn't a problem with the app. I too have seen the fault but it comes and goes sometimes works on my wifi sometimes doesn't. Same if I try other routers or other wifi networks.

I accept it could be a problem with routers but with so many people reporting it, you would have thought somebody would have figured out a commonality across everybody with the problem. Whether it's certain routers or firewalls or ports needing opened etc.

I kind of agree with you. The reason that I think it is not the app though, is that in years gone past software conflicts could be found with differing video cards, USB hubs, etc, etc however we all have exactly the same hardware (albeit iPad 1 or 2) and exactly the same software (albeit some may not be updated to the latest iOS and some could be jailbroken) but that aside there is little to explain why it works on mine and many others and doesnt work on other people's iPads. So just looking logically and also from the evidence in other threads it appears to be router conflict (generally) but of course you have a point regarding firewalls, ports, etc........but I think waiting for an app update to cure it will be a long, long wait.

Either that or everyone can come round to my place and watch mine!

The Archangel

OP
F

Frootshoot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys just to let you know it's magically started to work. Dunno what the problem was but whatever it was it's fixed.

pgh1949

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm inclined to think it's the App. My son and I both have iPad 2's and whereas his works fine when on my home network, mine won't play "catch up" programmes although it does play live TV. Mine exhibits the same behaviour if I'm connected to another network, such as my mobile phone's wifi hotspot.

TeeHill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BBC iplayer unsupported

Hi there all. I have recently downloaded BBC iplayer to my iPad 2 but when I try to load the app, it says it's unsupported in the country I'm in... But I'm in the UK and my iPad is from Australia but that's also a supported country. Can anyone help? Cheers

AnnieD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there all. I have recently downloaded BBC iplayer to my iPad 2 but when I try to load the app, it says it's unsupported in the country I'm in... But I'm in the UK and my iPad is from Australia but that's also a supported country. Can anyone help? Cheers

Hi there, I'm new here & this problem promptedme to search & I found you!! I have the same problem as above except that I am in France - we're on satellite internet so iplayer on the pc's seems to think we're in the uk & is quite happy, but on my ipad2 it say's it's unsupported in my country - france is however (now) supported

All help would be much appreciated - It was one of the things I was looking forward to using on my new toy :(

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I stand to be corrected but when you say France is now supported....do you mean supported by BBCiPlayer? I thought you could only watch BBCiPlayer if your IP address was in the UK. To watch from outside the UK, you would need a VPN or a proxy.

Most reactions

Latest posts