What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Iplayer and no wifi

Wiserose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, recently got an iPad 2 but my only source of Internet in the micro sim 3G Internet in the iPad. This is great fir everything bar trying to use my catch up tv apps like BBC iplayer and 4OD. When I try and watch anything via them it tells me I need to connect over a wifi connection, is there anyway round this that doesn't involve me paying out for a broadband router and contract?? I would really like to be able to use the iplayer apps ASAP so any advice or help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance Sophia (student England)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - the new iPlayer app update is fine with 3G, no longer any need for WiFi - as long as you have a good enough connection. Does your iPad show '3G', 'EDGE' or 'o' when you're connected. If the data rate is too slow then it will want you to switch to WiFi. But I use iPlayer on 3G all the time without any problems.

4oD, I agree, demands WiFi and there's nothing you can do about this except get a WiFi dongle and use your card in that. I have the '3' MiFi unit and that works great.

Tim

OP
W

Wiserose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi it displays 3G in the top corner and I've always got full signal strength. Three told the mifi unit still wouldn't help but if yours works maybe I will get one, can I still use e micro sim in it? Thanks for your help
Sophia

Most reactions