What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Networking and WiFi Question

mslammers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I have a desktop [iTunes installed, waiting for iPad, Fri] with no WiFi. DSL connection through modem/router. I also have a netbook that has WiFi and can also connect to my m/r through cable connection.

Soooo.... my question is: If I connect my netbook to the m/r and turn on WiFi, can I use the netbook as a hotspot in my house? Connect to the DSL through the netbook WiFi?

I am not sure how all these things would see/connect.

I don't have any other WiFi device to have it pretend to be the iPad or I would try it rather than ask. :D

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Soooo.... my question is: If I connect my netbook to the m/r and turn on WiFi, can I use the netbook as a hotspot in my house?
No. You need to buy a wireless router which is something that transmits a WiFi signal. Your netbook is meant to receive WiFi signals.

CITSFixed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
actually you can setup internet connection sharing (or something like that) on the laptop and you can connect through it.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Can you? Yes
Should you? No

it can be done how you want with the actian as a hotspot via software or by enable internet connection sharing. But this is not a verry reliable way to share the internet and can be complicated if you dont know what to do.

The best option would be to just buy a wirelss router to replace your current router. They have come way down in price and you can get one now for under $30

dale600rr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, I would say that you only need a wireless Access Point (not a router) since the router functionality is already built into your cable modem / router. These are usually fairly cheap and I'm sure you'll have no problem finding one at your local computer store.

You didn't say how many ethernet ports your cable modem has, if it only has one or has none free then make sure that you get a wireless AP with 2 or more ports, so that the AP connects into the cable modem and you can plug something else into the AP. Again, I'm sure your local computer store will be able to assist you.

Cheers
Dale

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Actually, I would say that you only need a wireless Access Point (not a router) since the router functionality is already built into your cable modem / router. These are usually fairly cheap and I'm sure you'll have no problem finding one at your local computer store.

You didn't say how many ethernet ports your cable modem has, if it only has one or has none free then make sure that you get a wireless AP with 2 or more ports, so that the AP connects into the cable modem and you can plug something else into the AP. Again, I'm sure your local computer store will be able to assist you.

Cheers
Dale
The majority of all access points only come with one ethernet port because thats all an AP requires. Since he is using a wired pc as well its better to get a wireless router.

Wireless routers on the have built in switch's with at least 4 ports for connecting multiple wired devices. They also ad a layer of security with their built in firewall capabilities.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The best option would be to just buy a wirelss router to replace your current router. They have come way down in price and you can get one now for under $30
Well then I stand correct on being able to use your laptop to connect, but I did want to add that I bought a D-Link wireless N router from BestBuy for $20! It was a mail order only deal so I had to add a couple of bucks for shipping but it was still less than $30.

Our house sits roughly in the middle of a 3 acre piece of property and I can stick my iPod Touch in my pocket and listen to streaming audio anywhere I go without cutting out. It sure helps the monotony of cutting all what grass!

OP
mslammers

mslammers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I got a new wireless router/DSL modem with 4 ethernet ports. Tested it with my WiFi netbook and it works fine. Firewall, too. Matches capability of my previous w/r.
Thanks for the advice and knowledge. I suspected my idea would not be really good.

Most reactions

Latest posts