What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Netflix app

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I agree, waiting is no big deal. Especially when you're like me and old enough to remember having to wait until your favorites came around on one of the 3 over the air channels. Might be the late movie or the late, late movie and, of course, there was no recording so you stayed up late! Everything being 'instant' has spoiled so many to have it right now.
I wouldn't call it spoiled.

In my case I am often pressed for time. I cannot reserve a few hours every night to watch a movie. So if today I find I have a few hours to watch a movie, yet tomorrow night is not as likely, ordering a disc via the mail is simply not going to cut it.

Now back to that spoiled comment. I will raise that to "lazy" for the won't even leave the house crowd! LOL! :)

Michael

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tinman said:
No...

It's 7.99 for streaming only.

One single disc at a time, which is not very useful IMO, is 9.99. Then 14.99 for 2 discs at a time, $19.99 for 3, etc.

Many if not most around here, including me of course, already have the movie reserved and waiting for them--it's just a credit card swipe. If I wait a minute it is unusual. I'm never at one at a McDonald's or Walmart... around here they are at every mini mart and gas station it seems. I'm seeing them in my normal day to day travels.... I don't actually need to make a special trip. Maybe it is different there. Or maybe if you don't normally need to leave the house anyway it would be different... but I am not like that, usually always have to run around somewhere. :(

Even so though the idea of waiting, even overnight, to rent a movie was never big with me. Maybe growing up in the Blockbuster era... but to me the waiting part of it was always a negative aspect.

I'm not giving up my Netflix streaming service though. :)

Michael

It is $2 more.

Last edited:

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is $2 more. For me, going from 3 discs for years to 1 makes sense. I watch the movie, put it in the mail the next morning, get one back in day and a half. I can't watch more movies than that--that's 2 a week plus the streaming and I do have a life LOL. Not saying you don't but unless you live in a larger city you won't find Redbox on every corner.
I don't even average one movie in a week--more like a month. But my point is when I finally have the time to sit down with a spare couple of hours, and think of a movie I want to see, or we want to see, ordering something to be delivered even the next day is not soon enough. It's that simple. :)

Oh yea there are 3 redbox locations within a mile of my house; rarely do I need to go further than that. I can be back before the popcorn is done popping. :)

Michael

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So how do you streamers deal with 5.1 or 6.1 surround sound? I like streaming for an occasional movie, but there are times when I wanna hear my home theater do its thing!

Plus, I don't have an internet connection to that system either, so I can't stream to it at the present time... just my iPad and the PS3.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, but unless you just watched one the day before you already hsae one in house to watch.
Doubtful. I was never into the queue thing much and only ordered when I really wanted to watch something With an average of one movie in a month it's not worth playing with queues.

Redbox is nothing like blockbuster back in the day. Maybe they let you reserve it at BB in later years but not when I used to go to there. It was a long event to hang around and browser, scramble for new releases as they were returned, get sneezed on by the bratty kids in families who rented 20 movies per night, and then get in line to finish. Ugh. With redbox I look at available movies online, pick one, reserve it, and swipe my CC when I get to the machine to get it. Apparently redbox is a little different out here than in some places. :)

Michael

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Then Netflix isn't for you, you're right. It makes no sense to "order" a movie from Netflix. Queueing is the only reasonable way to use it other than streaming IMO
Huh? I am a Netflix subscriber. I only dropped my DVD deliveries.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
After reading some interesting discussions about subscriptions on the Ipad and Iphone (Touch) it dawned on me that Netflix has probably removed the option to subscribe or access accounts from the Ipad app because they no longer are offering "subscriptions" and thus won't (I assume) be chargeable for the 30% app charge. I may be missing something here, but that seems plausible to me. if so, I'm totally comfortable with the app since I can add to and reorder my DVD queues in Flixter and Iqueue and access my account via Safari.

Now if Rhapsody can come up with a plan I can stop looking for a portable device to replace my Touch (and/or Ipad) for downloaded music for offline listening (and I also stream with it but there are other devices for that).

Diane

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I signed up for Netflix this past weekend and had not problem streaming to my iPad...Found it to be really easy and only paused for a couple times out of 4 movies I watched...Great way to see classics at the touch of a icon...For me so far, it's great!!!

jannypan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had Netflix forever. Lots of streaming on the system but movies go like this... Theaters...DVD... streaming. So the streaming is the last to get the movie. Last weeks block buster won't be there, but the one from a month or 2 ago probably is.

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was never into the queue thing much and only ordered when I really wanted to watch something With an average of one movie in a month it's not worth playing with queues.

Yeah, Netflix isn't for you then. That type of rental is for big movies fans who are watching at least a couple movies a week. For once a month local stores and Redbox make a lot more sense.

Most reactions

Latest posts