What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Netflix app

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you. I guess I'll be signing up soon. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dupont2005

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Earlier I stated that I had no trouble watching Netflix via wifi but today I have been having serious trouble watching a movie. I have the fastest Internet my provider has available and the streaming works fine on my laptop and the Playstation. Worked fine on the iPad too until today. I thought maybe I had too many apps with push notifications or something. I don't know what the problem is but I can't go ten minutes without the screen going blurry or the movie stopping completely. I changed my e-mail settings to see if that helps.

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The drawback to streaming is that I lose 5.1 surround sound... which I *do* like. But sometimes the convenience of streaming to my iPad makes it worthy. Just depends on the movie and the situation.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
dupont2005 said:
Earlier I stated that I had no trouble watching Netflix via wifi but today I have been having serious trouble watching a movie. I have the fastest Internet my provider has available and the streaming works fine on my laptop and the Playstation. Worked fine on the iPad too until today. I thought maybe I had too many apps with push notifications or something. I don't know what the problem is but I can't go ten minutes without the screen going blurry or the movie stopping completely. I changed my e-mail settings to see if that helps.

I had some issues early on but haven't had any for quite awhile. On the Netflix site, under your account I think, you can report issues and they do get back to you. I found that two psrticular movies I wanted to watch were the culprits, not my wifi or Ipad. It was on their end so may be worthwhile reporting it.

Diane

MaryS910

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had Netflix for a few months and also find that most of their movie content is well over a year old as far as streaming. I mostly use it to watch whole seasons of TV series that I missed.

dupont2005

iPF Novice
Reaction score
dupont2005 said:

I had some issues early on but haven't had any for quite awhile. On the Netflix site, under your account I think, you can report issues and they do get back to you. I found that two psrticular movies I wanted to watch were the culprits, not my wifi or Ipad. It was on their end so may be worthwhile reporting it.

Diane

Thanks, I watched another movie today and it played fine. I wonder what that was all about? I also do not like the current version of the app, I can't update or even view my DVD queue anymore. I don't think I should have to have iPhlix installed alongside Netflix on this thing.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I guess I haven't had the app open in several days. I can say I don't like it either. Solved it for myself by opening in Safari and saving the link to my hime page as icon and now it takes me directly to the Netflix. Home page I know and like LOL. I do like Flixter for easy editing though.

In fact its swful having just tried it. I can't imsgine why they eould think this is functional. I won't use the app agwin unless they revert.

Diane

Last edited:

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess I haven't had the app open in several days. I can say I don't like it either. Solved it for myself by opening in Safari and saving the link to my hime page as icon and now it takes me directly to the Netflix. Home page I know and like LOL. I do like Flixter for easy editing though.

In fact its swful having just tried it. I can't imsgine why they eould think this is functional. I won't use the app agwin unless they revert.

Diane
The app is not that bad.... might not be perfect but certainly usable.

Seems more oriented towards people who want to stream not get actual discs. Suits me fine as I no longer even get discs.

Michael

ipadgamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.gamesontheipad.com
I was thinking of signing up. It s fairly cheap and it does have a big enough library. I'm sure the big blockbusters won't be on there right away but theres other stuff that will keep me occupied

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am used to using the app as it is on the net. I can (and do) use Flixter for choosing and reordering my DVD list, but with the current upgrade of the Netflix app you have no ability to access your account, etc. People in the app store are panning it as well. I do have a DVD account plus streaming so have used the app to choose my additions to my DVD queue. No longer. Seems strange to me that they would assume anyone using an Ipad or Iphone/Touch would be interested in streaming only. Until all movies are available for streaming, and that's a good piece in the future for several reasons, I will still want to rent DVDs. I do wonder though, if I unlinked my Flixter and Iqueue Free apps from Netflix, if I would gain the old version of the Netflix app.

Diane

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I doubt unlinking is going to change anything on the Netflix app on the iPad. Like I said it seems geared towards streaming.... I never used an app on my PC or Mac to manage queues--though to be frank I never paid much attention to it.

I suspect Netflix is losing a lot of DVD renters to Redbox... I know at least 6 other people who dropped it and went to streaming only. Each of us paid more each month to Netflix than a buck a pop would have cost at Redbox... heck I went months without renting a single DVD (due to Redbox).

I don't know, to me the whole "order in advance" thing for later delivery of a physical disc seems dated and on its way out.

Michael

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I doubt unlinking is going to change anything on the Netflix app on the iPad. Like I said it seems geared towards streaming.... I never used an app on my PC or Mac to manage queues--though to be frank I never paid much attention to it.

I suspect Netflix is losing a lot of DVD renters to Redbox... I know at least 6 other people who dropped it and went to streaming only. Each of us paid more each month to Netflix than a buck a pop would have cost at Redbox... heck I went months without renting a single DVD (due to Redbox).

I don't know, to me the whole "order in advance" thing for later delivery of a physical disc seems dated and on its way out.

Michael

Isn't the streaming + DVD option from Netflix just a dollar more than the streaming only option?

I am just the opposite. I haven't been to a Redbox ever since I got my Netflix membership. I don't even have to leave the house now to rent a movie, just wait two days and I have a new movie to watch. That is much more appealing to me than waiting in line at Walmart or McDonalds behind tube top lady and her four kids deciding which 10 movies they want to rent for the night.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Isn't the streaming + DVD option from Netflix just a dollar more than the streaming only option?
No...

It's 7.99 for streaming only.

One single disc at a time, which is not very useful IMO, is 9.99. Then 14.99 for 2 discs at a time, $19.99 for 3, etc.

I am just the opposite. I haven't been to a Redbox ever since I got my Netflix membership. I don't even have to leave the house now to rent a movie, just wait two days and I have a new movie to watch. That is much more appealing to me than waiting in line at Walmart or McDonalds behind tube top lady and her four kids deciding which 10 movies they want to rent for the night.
Many if not most around here, including me of course, already have the movie reserved and waiting for them--it's just a credit card swipe. If I wait a minute it is unusual. I'm never at one at a McDonald's or Walmart... around here they are at every mini mart and gas station it seems. I'm seeing them in my normal day to day travels.... I don't actually need to make a special trip. Maybe it is different there. Or maybe if you don't normally need to leave the house anyway it would be different... but I am not like that, usually always have to run around somewhere. :(

Even so though the idea of waiting, even overnight, to rent a movie was never big with me. Maybe growing up in the Blockbuster era... but to me the waiting part of it was always a negative aspect.

I'm not giving up my Netflix streaming service though. :)

Michael

writerranger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No...

It's 7.99 for streaming only.

One single disc at a time, which is not very useful IMO, is 9.99. Then 14.99 for 2 discs at a time, $19.99 for 3, etc.

Many if not most around here, including me of course, already have the movie reserved and waiting for them--it's just a credit card swipe. If I wait a minute it is unusual. I'm never at one at a McDonald's or Walmart... around here they are at every mini mart and gas station it seems. I'm seeing them in my normal day to day travels.... I don't actually need to make a special trip. Maybe it is different there. Or maybe if you don't normally need to leave the house anyway it would be different... but I am not like that, usually always have to run around somewhere. :(

Even so though the idea of waiting, even overnight, to rent a movie was never big with me. Maybe growing up in the Blockbuster era... but to me the waiting part of it was always a negative aspect.

I'm not giving up my Netflix streaming service though. :)

Michael

Yes, I agree, waiting is no big deal. Especially when you're like me and old enough to remember having to wait until your favorites came around on one of the 3 over the air channels. Might be the late movie or the late, late movie and, of course, there was no recording so you stayed up late! Everything being 'instant' has spoiled so many to have it right now.

SheerLuckHolmes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Love this Netflix thread..... My concern with streaming only is the lack of newer releases. I just got the movie "Salt" delivered through the mail last night. It is not available for streaming yet.

When and if they allow newer releases for streaming at the same time they are availble for renting the physical DVD, streaming might become more popular. But as it is streaming is now pretty much limited to older movies.

Most reactions

Latest posts