What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

need help with boot loop problem due to bad tweak/deb

johansoct9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello everyone... i'm new here.. and i'm not really sure where i should place this problem but seeing as the device i have a problem with is an ipad2. i thought i'd just post here...

my ipad 2 wifi only 16 gb tablet has ios 6.0.1 installed with a jailbreak..

my problem started when i tried to install this file... co.cocoanuts.gremlin2_2.1-2_iphoneos-arm.deb
I was installing that because this file (co.cocoanuts.celeste_1.1-1_iphoneos-arm.deb) required that file to run...

celeste is a bluetooth file transfer tweak that worked a few versions ago...
put simply, i tried to install an old deb...

Before anything else, i just have to mention that my experience in ios/anything apple for that matter started with this device and most of the time when i was trying some tweaks, i'd just read the instructions other people post online... so please treat me like a newbie....

so, while i was installing that gremlin file, my ipad got an error and was in a boot loop.
a hard reset did nothing... so i tried pressing the volume up button while it was booting up...
that worked and i was able to see the lock screen and was able to enter normally. the first thing i tried to do was enter cydia (to try and remove the bad deb)... but it wont open....
i tried this a few times because the tablet would go back to the loop after a few minutes.... this seemed to happen because i was repeatedly trying to enter cydia.
i stopped. i tried ifile but that won't open too...

then i noticed that eventhough i still had some of the icons from jailbreak apps. they did NOT work.
In contrast, normal apps worked fine... i could play games and i could see my ibooks purchases.

after that, i hooked it up to my pc and used ifunbox to see the contents of the tablet, maybe try and delete the problem files manually .... ifunbox cannot recognize my ipad... i tried itunes and all seemed normal and it even tried to sync- i find this weird but because i was just winging it, i don't understand what this meant...

So then i tried DiskAid... and i was able to see the device. At this point i copied all of my files except for the savefiles in games and other apps.
i then had an idea to try and re-jailbreak it with evasi0n 1.5.3... the program said the device was already jailbroken but i continued anyway,,,, but that jailbreak attempt ended with the "ERROR: Could not get com.apple.mobile installation.plist" error..

so now, i have an ipad2 that can still use like an unjailbroken tablet that i have to be really careful not to reboot or else it returns to the boot loop....

does anyone here know how to fix this problem ?

PS: i know it's really rude of me to have my first post be a problem... for that.. i apologize...

but i'm at my wits end ! and i have half the mind to just break the tablet in half.... :(

and another apology for the roundabout way i described my problem.....

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there, as you are jailbroken I've moved your post to the hacking section where you will hopefully get the help that you need.

Good luck!

The Archangel

OP
J

johansoct9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sorry bout that...
thanks for redirecting my query... :)

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Think you might have to use ILEX RAT to solve this. But if you could access the root of your device using Disk Aid, you should be able to remove it assuming it went through the installation process.

OP
J

johansoct9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Think you might have to use ILEX RAT to solve this. But if you could access the root of your device using Disk Aid, you should be able to remove it assuming it went through the installation process.
i've read about this ilex rat and it seems to be available only through cydia ? i think it went through with the installation because i saw it complete the process just before the boot loop.... how do i go about removing it using diskaid ? im really bad at this stuff....

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can install debian packages using the Cydia Auto Install feature in Cydia itself when your device boots up, in iFunBox or using SSH/terminal commands, which still requires the package be in your device.

Assuming it's a conventional tweak, it should be located in /var/stash/Applications.xxxxxx/<insert tweak name>. Delete that folder and the temporary caches/userdata should be rendered useless and your device should be up again with a reboot.

OP
J

johansoct9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can install debian packages using the Cydia Auto Install feature in Cydia itself when your device boots up, in iFunBox or using SSH/terminal commands, which still requires the package be in your device.

Assuming it's a conventional tweak, it should be located in /var/stash/Applications.xxxxxx/<insert tweak name>. Delete that folder and the temporary caches/userdata should be rendered useless and your device should be up again with a reboot.

dude !!!! stupid as i am, i still managed to fix it... !!!

although i didn't find it in the directory you mentioned... you still pointed me to the right way of thinking,,,
i essentially looked at all the folders in the file system and when i found this...
root/usr/gremlin
i deleted that sucker and i was able to reboot normally !!!

thank you very much for your time and your help...... !

Most reactions