What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Help to restore iOS

dze

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm had an ipad mini with a damaged screen and had to get it replaced. But whilst replacing it, the tech realized that my home button is damaged and couldn't find a problem with it and instead replace me my ipad mini with another one and got the screen replaced.
Now here is my struggle. Luckily I backup my ipad mini on iOS 8.3 on itunes. The ipadmini that i received is running iOS 7.1. I tried to restore the ipad os to 8.0 by downloading the ipsw for 8.0 but it doesn't work. Also tried to restore backups and nothing works.

Can anyone offer me some advice how I can restore my backups without having to resort to updating it to the newest ios?

best

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's not possible. You're only able to get the software version(s) signed by Apple, which is 9.1 or 9.2 at the moment. Trying to install a different iOS will result in an error, making it impossible to proceed.
It's also not possible to restore a more recent backup to an older software version. That's the problem you're facing right now.

The only option you have is to update the iPad, and then you'll be able to restore from your backup.

OP
D

dze

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok, so u would suggest updating to ios 9 and then try to restore my ios 8 backup?

OP
D

dze

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hmm once again... Just updated to iOS 9.2 and tried to restore ipad to a iOS 8.0 / 8.4 holding down opt and clicking on restore and selecting the different iOS, but to no avail. Now trying to restore BACKup to see if it works out.

It's really a bummer. On my ipad mini 2, os9 runs kind of slower than iso 8. And I can't even downgrade to iOS8. Why is this so?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Because it's not signed by Apple. You can restore from a backup to iOS 8, but that won't change the software on your iPad.

OP
D

dze

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the software is fine with me, it's the os that's a problem. I tried to restore backup, but it seems it's only for apps not for the os that was backup.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Software = OS (operating system)
A backup doesn't revert to the iOS with which the backup was created.

bazzle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a "similar" problem

I have an series 1 ipad mini wifi.
It was running 6.1.3 No problems with any of my installed apps.
I have same apps on my iphone 4s so I updated that 1st.
All apps work ok.
Apple sent me a message that I needed to update the ipad mini. I've been resisting but on this occasion I hit the button.
Update went ok.

Sadly on the ipad mini some of my apps don't work properly.
Main one is called Digit. It controls ALL my Home theater equipment thru a Griffin Beacon (Now discontinued)
After the update the button positions are changed and they don't function properly any more.

This is used daily and has many features set up in it.
I need to revert back to the 6.1.3
I tried to do so using itunes but it wont let me.

Im stuck for options. If there is a JB for the 9.2 ios will it allow me to re install 6.1.3 to bring it back to life?

Any other options?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a "similar" problem

I have an series 1 ipad mini wifi.
It was running 6.1.3 No problems with any of my installed apps.
I have same apps on my iphone 4s so I updated that 1st.
All apps work ok.
Apple sent me a message that I needed to update the ipad mini. I've been resisting but on this occasion I hit the button.
Update went ok.

Sadly on the ipad mini some of my apps don't work properly.
Main one is called Digit. It controls ALL my Home theater equipment thru a Griffin Beacon (Now discontinued)
After the update the button positions are changed and they don't function properly any more.

This is used daily and has many features set up in it.
I need to revert back to the 6.1.3
I tried to do so using itunes but it wont let me.

Im stuck for options. If there is a JB for the 9.2 ios will it allow me to re install 6.1.3 to bring it back to life?

Any other options?
I'm afraid that there's no way to downgrade the iOS on your iPad to iOS 6.1.3 or any other iOS lower than iOS 9.1. Part of the procedure for installing an iOS version on the iPad is an online verification with Apple servers to make sure that only iOS versions still being signed are installed on the device. The only iOS versions still being signed for the iPad Mini are iOS 9.1 and 9.2.

There is no way through jailbreak or any other methods to bypass the online verification.

bazzle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok.. shame :(

Do you know how to go to 9.1? Maybe that will be ok ?

baz

edit: I tried a complete factory reset and reload to no avail ...

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here are the instructions and the link you need to find the right ipsw-file:
How to Downgrade iOS 9.2 to iOS 9.1 | OSXDaily

Apple is still signing 9.1, so it's possible to revert. Do it as soon as possible. 9.2 was released more than a week ago, and Apple could stop signing 9.1 any time now. No one knows when this will happen, though.

Most reactions

Latest posts