What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad mini 2 not given option to a backup to Big Sur 11.6.5

BHanular

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad mini 2 running iOS 12.5.5. I’m trying back it up to my MacBook Air running Big Sur 11.6.5. When I click on the Mini in the side bar on the computer, it opens up the window that gives me the option to set up a new iPad or restore from a previous backup. There is no option to backup or sync the iPad to the computer like all my other devices. Both the iPad mini and the MacBook Air have the latest software upgrades. My MacBook Air is too old to accept OS Monterey.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have an iPad mini 2 running iOS 12.5.5. I’m trying back it up to my MacBook Air running Big Sur 11.6.5. When I click on the Mini in the side bar on the computer, it opens up the window that gives me the option to set up a new iPad or restore from a previous backup. There is no option to backup or sync the iPad to the computer like all my other devices. Both the iPad mini and the MacBook Air have the latest software upgrades. My MacBook Air is too old to accept OS Monterey.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.
You could try powering down and restarting both devices.

OP
B

BHanular

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the reply. That's much appreciated. Unfortunately restarting both devices did not change anything. I'm concerned that the iPad mini 2 is running too old of an operating system to work with Big Sur, but I just don't know.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 6.14.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 6.14.35 PM.png
    274.4 KB · Views: 74

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I haven't done a backup to the Mac in. long time. The best I can do for you is refer you to this Apple Support article.

OP
B

BHanular

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you very much for replying! I followed those instructions step by step and I still get that screen that allows me to restore and setup as new, but not backup to the computer.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Go to finder when your iPad is connected. Your iPad should show up near the bottom of the sidebar. That’s where my iPads and iPhones show up. Click on it and you should be able to backup to your computer on the next screen.

OP
B

BHanular

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the reply and advice! I did find the iPad on the side bar, but when I click on it, it gives what is in the screen shot. When I have my iPhone 13 connected, I get a screen that also allows me to backup to the computer. Both devices are on the same WIFI network.

Most reactions