What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS 8 Revert Back to IOS 7

Fishsticks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

My husband loves his IPad Mini but no longer! He hates IOS 8 because it is very hard to read the tabs on the Safari. He also hates that there is not an "X" to close the window when only one is left open. He wants Safari to be the way it used to be where he x'd out everything, left Safari and came back to a blank page. Now it always returns to the last website he looked at. But mostly he says it is hard to see/read the white tabs on Safari now.

Ok, bad people that we are, I never backed it up on ITunes as I assumed the cloud would take care of his needs. I looked up that we can revert back to an older version to get back IOS7 via ITunes. However, when I went to do that in ITunes, obviously, there was no previous version, but even if there had been, it does give a message that this does not restore the operating system.

So the question is, I have my own IPad backed up on ITunes and I never upgraded to 8. So could I restore his mini using my back-up? If I did, will that give him back his IOS 7? And once restored to my system, can I then change it back to his IPad as far as apps, music, etc.

We are in the USA.

Thanks!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Short answer: it's not possible to revert to iOS 7, once iOS 8 is installed. There's also no option to use your backup to get back to iOS 7. If you use it, it'll be your backup, but still with iOS 8.

iTunes will connect to Apple servers and make sure that the iPad gets the latest software version, which is 8.0.2 at this moment.

Sorry!

Most reactions

Latest posts