What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help/info on iPads outside the US

gryphon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thinking about giving an iPad for a wedding gift for someone outside the U.S. and they live in S. Korea (no announcements yet on iPad release there).

My question is: how do people get full use of their iPads outside the U.S.? I'm talking about how one would get apps? Would it be through the app store here in the U.S.? I mean, people import iPads from countries not in the launch list all over the place, they must have a way to connecting back to the app store?

I'm wondering because obviously we would have to buy the iPad in the U.S. and take it there for our trip, but don't know how it would work over there.

Any thoughts or experiences (or links to people who have done this)?

Much appreciated.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would assume the international store would have some support, but it may be limited. I do not know if it is country specific, but may be as far as language support. Warranty/repair work will mean a return to the country of origin. As rare as it happens, it should be a consideration. Especially since there may be problems getting out-of-country units serviced. It may be better to buy within a country like Japan, if possible, that is scheduled for introduction. Universal power supplies should be adequate, but there may be other issues,.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thinking about giving an iPad for a wedding gift for someone outside the U.S. and they live in S. Korea (no announcements yet on iPad release there).

My question is: how do people get full use of their iPads outside the U.S.? I'm talking about how one would get apps? Would it be through the app store here in the U.S.? I mean, people import iPads from countries not in the launch list all over the place, they must have a way to connecting back to the app store?

I'm wondering because obviously we would have to buy the iPad in the U.S. and take it there for our trip, but don't know how it would work over there.

Any thoughts or experiences (or links to people who have done this)?

Much appreciated.
If you want to make it an easy gift with no hassle send an American gift voucher with the iPad. A fixed amount Visa or an Apple voucher. The idea is to have a US address linked to it. Tell your friend to do a reformat of the host computer and register it as American at bootup.

Such a gift is a lot of trouble for now...

Last edited:

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi i use US iPad outside US ( China & Singapore ) and i got lof of app from Singapore and i change my address using itunes gift card so i got access to all US app’s and i din’t loose my local app’s in the international section i have put a post about that

I hope it help

OP
G

gryphon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok so I think I understand the concept, but still seems like too much of a hassle, especially since there won't be any local/native language app on the iPad then?

In any case, from what I gather, it doesn't matter that the device itself is from the U.S. it doesn't care where it connects (which makes sense for business travelers) so long as the account is U.S. based...

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok so I think I understand the concept, but still seems like too much of a hassle, especially since there won't be any local/native language app on the iPad then?

In any case, from what I gather, it doesn't matter that the device itself is from the U.S. it doesn't care where it connects (which makes sense for business travelers) so long as the account is U.S. based...

Wrong one of my friend have an iPad in China and he have all china app’s available (for iPhone & iPad) and work fine the only point is the choice is limited compare to US itunes store

OP
G

gryphon

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Wrong one of my friend have an iPad in China and he have all china app’s available (for iPhone & iPad) and work fine the only point is the choice is limited compare to US itunes store

What I mean is, there will not be native language iPad applications for US iPads in S. Korea since there's only the iPhone released there. Sure iPhone apps are available but they would be iPhone apps running on the iPad... for that the US account/app store connection is needed... right?

Most reactions

Latest posts