What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new partner the iPad review.

Ipadpaws

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thought I would have a bash at this after having purchased the IPad approx two weeks ago. Firstly, I was sceptical about liking it, and not because of it's size or the fact that I'm used to windows, but because I didn't really like the idea of not having a mouse. Reminiscent of the times I'd lug my laptop around and forget to take the mouse with me, and feel totally unfamiliar with my computer as I navigate awkwardly with my finger. Having said that, this wasn't even an issue with the iPad. It all seemed to feel pretty natural rather quickly (disconcertingly.)

What I do love about this device is it's multi-functional capabilities, and just like a good budget meal that can feed a family of five, the iPad caters to a lot of age groups and varying tastes.

As a writer, I'm still hanging between using this as a serious writing tool, because I can get through my work and type so much faster on my laptop. Having said that my sitting posture on a laptop/desk has been troubling me for some time, and so now I have the option to get a little more comfortably balanced on a couch with a few cushions propping me upright, even though a couple of times the iPad has slid off my lap to the floor in my new attempts to be multi-functional on the couch too, i.e, eat, drink, watch TV AND use this device!! (If I was still breast-feeding my child I'd probably be trying that too. :p)

I love the many apps, but have to be careful not to become addicted to purchasing and downloading too many, and the fact that I can pacify my toddler on my knee with some great kids apps and games, is superb.

The keyboard is functional, yet awkward to master. I sorely miss the lack of an up/down arrow for scrolling, and the fact that 'word correction' makes me sound like a drunken Secretary, when it decides to change a word to something totally and randomly out of context. Yet without that function switched on I have to continuously erase entire words, or go back and edit sentences to correct them. This I find most prevalent when using an IM client.

For travelling purposes it's ideal. I can fit it easily inside my handbag, and use it to work on my writing projects when on the move. Currently however, it is causing me to move around much less, a problem not unfamiliar to many computer users.

The hours I spend on it totally suck up huge amounts of time, and at least 50% of it would be unproductive. It is also driving my husband crazy, as now I have been carrying my 'new partner' to bed with me and sitting propped upright clacking away on the keypad (a sound which he compares to a form of torture) some nights until 2 am. My excuse here is that he can still go to sleep, because I don't need to bother him with any external lighting to use my device, therefore what IS HIS problem? :D

Seriously though, I love my new iPad. If He were a man I'd marry him in a shot. This is all terribly confessional for a sensible adult female, but perhaps some out there may be riding similar waves. Even if I feel shamefully content with it now, I presume the novelty will wear off at some point!

So overall, I give it an 8.5/10 (The reasons for not giving it a full 10 are because Apple are devious enough to invent something so moronically addictive and time-sucking that I'd cry if I had any control over my actions. Plus given that I usually lament the lack of 'real' social contact in today's society, I am now forced to eat my own shoe!!

Last edited:

Lisajo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I said the same thing about marrying it. Gives me so little trouble and doesn't need duvet!

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seriously though, I love my new iPad. If He were a man I'd marry him in a shot.
It also works the same for men! Sometimes I spend so much time with my iPad (mostly moderating this forum!) that my wife will sometimes say, "If you love your iPad so much, why don't you go &%#@ your iPad!"

This app is the closest thing I could find for that --

ipad30.jpg

SBHOKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sweet.......... This is why I got my wife the iPad first! So she couldn't say anything.

OP
I

Ipadpaws

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sweet.......... This is why I got my wife the iPad first! So she couldn't say anything.

haha that's so funny! Good idea though. I thought of it too, but my partner is a hard core desktop man, and will not be swayed by the iPad generation.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP, you may want to consider purchasing an Apple wireless keyboard. May not be perfect for travel, but it's small and compact. And it has arrow keys on it as well. It's not expensive either, take a look at in in the Apple Store. I rarely use the virtual keyboard.

Most reactions

Latest posts