What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my Ipad 3 doesn't charge from USB2

guybc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I connect to the PC, the usual sound is mad, but the Ipad is not shown in Windows Explorer and the 'not charging' sign shows near the battery indicator.
Is this normal?

jasmynsway

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes. Generally PCs don't have enough power to charge the iPad. You can charge it with a wall charger and some car chargers only as far as I know.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
USB2.0 does not supply enough power, but USB3.0 apparently does. Your local computer parts store could sell you a 4-port internal hub which will fit into a drive bay on the front of your computer. Another advantage with USB3.0 is that data transfer is faster.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ColtsSN said:
Have you tried a program like the ASUS ai charger?

Someone mentioned that a few weeks ago. Apparently it increases the power going to USB2.0 ports. The poster mentioned it worked well for him.

Vertigo1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A few of the motherboard manufacturers produce similar utilities - I use the Gigabyte one with my Gigabyte mobo and it works fine, allowing the iPad to charge although still nowhere near as quickly as from the mains charger.

leslie41

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I notice that my new iPad does receive charge when connected to my laptop, though it signals that it is not charging!
Same happened with my iPhone when docked with 3p speakers. Maybe to do with V level, perhaps not enough for a full charge.

Leslie, Dublin

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I notice that my new iPad does receive charge when connected to my laptop, though it signals that it is not charging!
Same happened with my iPhone when docked with 3p speakers. Maybe to do with V level, perhaps not enough for a full charge.

Leslie, Dublin

The "Not Charging" text is just an indication it is not charging at full speed. It is easier than a message saying "Charging... just really, really, slowly"... :)
When connected to a USB, your iPad will charge slowly or discharge slowly, depending on the PC and the usage of your iPad at the time.

L

Lunar

USB2.0 does not supply enough power, but USB3.0 apparently does. Your local computer parts store could sell you a 4-port internal hub which will fit into a drive bay on the front of your computer. Another advantage with USB3.0 is that data transfer is faster.

I'm using a Gigabyte GA68XP-UD3P board which supports USB-3 and like Gigabytes other recent boards boast they can charge iPads, but the truth is a different matter. Yes my board does just about manage enough current to remove the 'Not Charging' message. on my iPad. but TBH it can be a little hit or miss affair, for example by just using a 2m long cable instead of the standard 1m cable the 'Not Charging message pops up again.. it's that finicky.

Personally I'd forget all about serious thoughts of charging the iPad from USB, as even on USB 3 equiped boards it's not that brilliant.. It will charge the iPad.. even when the 'Not Charging' message is displayed.. it's just so slow, and if the iPad is being used it will likely not put sufficient in to prevent it draining, or at best... just about hold it's own.

Last edited by a moderator:

zman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From my experience with the Asus Aicharger, the "Not Charging" message on the iPad 1 and 3 does NOT show up.

ColtsSN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From my experience with the Asus Aicharger, the "Not Charging" message on the iPad 1 and 3 does NOT show up.

Right, I've used the program on my cheap Acer laptop with my iPad2 for a year without any issues on either device. I've been using it with the New, also with no problems. I'm only vouching for my experience. I'd suggest anyone using any program do their own research to ensure they're not damaging their PC.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zman said:

Just tried it and it works! Brilliant!

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
guybc said:
When I connect to the PC, the usual sound is mad, but the Ipad is not shown in Windows Explorer and the 'not charging' sign shows near the battery indicator.
Is this normal?

The iPad not showing up in Windows Explorer is normal, although I think it's suppose to show up as a camera to transfer files.

Sent from K48

Most reactions

Latest posts