What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multiple charge cords

crimlaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Currently, I have a USB charge cord for a 1st gen iPod touch, 2nd gen iPod nano, and 1st gen iPad. I have a wall charger that i purchased to use with my touch and nano, and a wall charger that came with the iPad.

Are all these cords and chargers interchangeable? If not, what is the problem? Does the iPad wall charger have too much power output that will fry the touch and nano? Will the wall charger for the touch and nano provide enough power to charge the iPad without hurting the battery?

Thanks.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No it will not fry them. The cord itself is irrelevant, it's just a conduit. The power charger for the iPad will charge all the devices (they have circuit shut offs so they only accept the amount of power they need), but not the other way around. So my wife and I use our iPad charger to charge all of our iDevices.

OP
C

crimlaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do i run any risks connecting my iPad to my old wall charger just to see if it works?

Thanks for the quick response, FYI.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, but most likely it won't charge fast enough. The new iPad chargers output 2A and the old Nano etc chargers don't output that much...so if it charges at all it will be slowly...

phenixagom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would add that since they are Apple OEM charges you won't fry anything. After market, you may fry things, even an after market cable is possible on frying. Had it happen to me in the past. Worked great for months and ended up ruining my device.

OP
C

crimlaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good point Phenixagom. The additional wall charger I use for my touch and nano is after market. I will avoid plugging my iPad into it. Thanks for the additional heads up.

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No it will not fry them. The cord itself is irrelevant, it's just a conduit. The power charger for the iPad will charge all the devices (they have circuit shut offs so they only accept the amount of power they need), but not the other way around. So my wife and I use our iPad charger to charge all of our iDevices.

As opposed to what the Apple Store "Genius" told me when I went looking for just the charging block to buy - "Oh, you can use any charging block, it's the USB cable that came with the iPad that lets it charge faster.":confused:

I looked at her and said, "I'm done talking to you."

Most reactions

Latest posts