What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lack of Recognition in iTunes - Not Your Standard Problem Though

HuntKop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all-

As a veteran of web forums I made sure to read through lots of threads about this, including the apple support suggestions and I'm still stuck.

I have an iMac desktop and an iPad 1st gen.

I am running the most recent version of iTunes (10.2.1), the most updated version of OSX (10.6.7), and the most recent version of IOS (4.3) on my iPad (1st gen). I have gone through all of the uninstalls and re-installs that apple suggests on their support site, as well as all of the resetting and restarting of the iPad and iMac. I've tried different USB ports, different USB cords, etc.

iTunes is still not recognizing the iPad, and the iPad does NOT show any indication that it is connected (no charging icon, etc).

iTunes DOES recognize my iPod nano (4th gen), and the iPad DOES charge in a wall charger with the standard Apple usb cable and wall charger setup.

I don't connect the iPad to iTunes too often (maybe once a week on average), but this all worked last time it was connected. Did I run any software updates since then? I'm not certain.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I'm baffled.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome on board. Just a suggestion please out your system DVD into the imac and restart launch hardware tools from menu and perform a permission repair on the hard drive once completed restart computer and eject DVD and try again with iTunes
if no change
You could also try setting up a new user called admin as a test and again see if problems is resolved if yes then you have some sort of conflicted in the user area on the iMac

Hope this helps

OP
H

HuntKop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply col.bris.

I tried both of these things, though admittedly I ran into some problems with your first suggestion. I wasn't able to find a "hardware tools" options from the Hardware Diagnostic process (insert disk, restart holding down "D") but I ran the test anyhow which produced no results. I then ran the permissions repair (applications --> disk utility --> first aid tab --> repair disk permissions) and there were plenty of repairs, but there was still no recognition.

I then set up a new user and iTunes still did not recognize the ipad.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks again....

Last edited:

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I suspect a faulty ipad only other way is try it on a different computer. That would prove if it is in fact the ipad or computer. Take it to an Apple service centre see if it shows on their computers.

I have fixed lots of issues with permission repairs. but that's life lol

runkel123123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey huntkop..
i think its a hard ware issue...probably u need to approach an apple store.. they can fix it in no time.. or else u can approach any ipad repair store..they can also fix it up..

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Alternative said:
Are you using an iPod or iPhone USB cable? It might be the cable is faulty or the wrong one. I'd try that before assuming the iPad is bad. Just a thought...

Both cables are the same only the charges are different

OP
H

HuntKop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the great help.

I tried it on another mac and it wasn't recognized, so I took it in to an Apple store, and they replaced it under warranty. One (or more) of the pins had gone bad in the USB connection.

Apparently the iPad activates different pins for wall charging and connection to iTunes, which is why the wall charging worked but the desktop connection didn't.

Anyhow, problem sorted. Thanks folks!

Most reactions

Latest posts