What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging questions

tonyt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
First time here. I had an iPod touch 5g and now have an iPad Air 2. Can I use the old flat plug (standard 3 pin with the USB lead pushed in at the bottom) charger for both, or do I have to use the new FAT PLUG (stands proud of the wall with a lump in it and the USB pushed in at the front) charger for the iPad?
Just worried about voltages and hope thats clear.
Thanks

OP
T

tonyt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
First time here. I had an iPod touch 5g and now have an iPad Air 2. Can I use the old flat plug (standard 3 pin with the USB lead pushed in at the bottom) charger for both, or do I have to use the new FAT PLUG (stands proud of the wall with a lump in it and the USB pushed in at the front) charger for the iPad?
Just worried about voltages and hope thats clear.
Thanks
Should have said, both chargers are Apples own!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The voltage is not a problem as the charging circuitry can handle any voltage. The problem is that the iPod comes with the same charger as the iPhone, which doesn't supply enough power to charge an iPad or charges it very slowly. You should use the charger that came with the iPad. You can, however, safely charge an iPod or an iPhone with an iPad charger.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi

My new iPad Air 2 came w/ a 10 W (i.e. 5 V x 2 A) charger - Apple also offers a 12 W version; iPads require that amount of power for effective charging; iPhone & iPod charges (i.e. 5 W) should not be used as already stated.

NOW, you can go the other way, i.e. a 10 W charger can safely be used to charge Apples 5 W devices, such as your iPod - will simply charge faster and built-in safety circuits will not damage the unit - I have an old iPod and have been charging w/ 10W for years; also, I tell my wife to use a 10 W charger for her new iPhone 6. Dave :)

OP
T

tonyt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks all, am clear now!:)

Most reactions

Latest posts