What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multiple Apps - Older Versions

Hammer09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi There,

Quick question and I apprichate that this may mean the iPad has to be Jailbroken which will not be a problem soon!

I am a big fan do a certain Inde developer, but their enforced changes on their games just add crap that you do not want in some cases and take bits away that you like...

...so...

Is there a way you can install multiple versions of the same App on your iWhatever? :)

I am not afraid to mess about with system files etc if we need to, but I do believe changes should be optional and not forced upon us by the developers. Don't much care either way about the notification badge, that's not the issue, it's simply running more then one version of the same App.

Thanks!

IFile

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im not too sure and no you can't have two or more of the same app on your "Iwhatever"

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you need multiple versions or just an earlier version?

OP
H

Hammer09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

It would be mutiple versions.

The reason being, ( not going to name developer as thats unfair ) but when they do the updates they often change the state of the save games etc so they're not backwardly compatible.

So idealy, I'd love a way to keep the original while installing the new one to see if they've broken anything in terms of their multiple changes before deciding to move to the "newer solution".

Cheers.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One legitimate workaround is to backup your device BEFORE you download the new version. Then copy the old ipa file from your iTunes library to to a temporary folder.

Install the new version of the app and test it out. If you don't like the new version, you remove the app from your device, restore the ipa file to it's original location, sync the app back onto your device, and finally restore the backup to your device. Then you will have both the old app version and it's original saved data back in place.

The caveat is of course that you cannot do anything else whilst you are testing the new app, otherwise the restore will reverse any changes you make.
And of course you must then ignore the updates for the app from there on in, but you already said you didn't mind that.

OP
H

Hammer09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cheers - I think you've probably hit the nail on the head with the best thing I can do here.

Did not consider doing backups before I get the new app and actually archiving the old one. Was just hoping on having several.

At least there is a way, a bit long winded, but a way! :D

Cheers and thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts