What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most annoying popup

OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes. I checked that out shortly after I posted, which is why I change "internet traffic" to "proxy" in my post. I somewhat understand proxies, though not all the underlying details of implementation. The original purpose was to redirect some URL's (internet addresses) to local servers, so that you could have a private intranet side by side with the internet. This can also be done in routers, and is more efficient that way for larger networks. Proxies works pretty well for an individual that wants to host their own private internet service/website at home. In this case Weblock is redirecting the URL's from advertisers to a fake proxy. Kind of like setting the road signs (just for the annoying motorists) so that they end up driving off the end of a pier. It's an innovative, and somewhat poetic solution. Unfortunately it only works for wi-fi connections and it must be set up individually for each wi-fi network you us. Though they make that relatively painless. They have a pretty good description of what they do in the FAQ, though it does take some basic knowledge of how URL's and wildcard characters work. Weblock - AdBlock for iOS. Content blocking for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.

Thanks for the explanation and I thought it was something like that. You explained it very clearly, cheers. So far everything is good. No pop ups and even less banners and ads, nirvana!
Keep well,
Mike

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts