What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most annoying popup

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I use a forum regarding fly fishing and recently, each time I try to access the forum, as soon as I go to the web site a pop up topapple.info comes on screen and no option to close it. The site appears to be Russian but not a lot of info on the net. It only happens on the fly fishing forum site. It is now so annoying I am considering not using the site again. Once the pop up appears, you cannot get rid of it or progress any further unless you click OK or close and restart the site. Any ideas anyone? I realise that this may be an issue with the forum site itself as others on there have commented about unwanted advertising as such.
Mike

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I use a forum regarding fly fishing and recently, each time I try to access the forum, as soon as I go to the web site a pop up topapple.info comes on screen and no option to close it. The site appears to be Russian but not a lot of info on the net. It only happens on the fly fishing forum site. It is now so annoying I am considering not using the site again. Once the pop up appears, you cannot get rid of it or progress any further unless you click OK or close and restart the site. Any ideas anyone? I realise that this may be an issue with the forum site itself as others on there have commented about unwanted advertising as such.
Mike

Since you say that you and others feel that it is a problem with the other forum, i would recommend you to contact the forum administrator. We cannot do anything with that forum...

OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since you say that you and others feel that it is a problem with the other forum, i would recommend you to contact the forum administrator. We cannot do anything with that forum...
Thanks but I wasn't expecting ipad forum to do anything. I was just pointing out what has occurred and wondered if anyone else has experienced similar on any other forum. Admin on the problem forum is aware as there have been numerous reports but no feedback has yet been received.
Mike

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've seen some sites cover the entire page with a semi-transparent add with a bit of text and or graphic element in the center. The close (x) button is usually at the top right, but may require zooming out to see. Occasionally the add will be so big I can never get to the (x), if it's there.

That's the only idea I have.

OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Just an update, I upgraded to IOS 7.0.4 yesterday as one of the fly fishing forum members suggested and now pop up free since. The admin on the site say they have everything in hand. The worrying bit about all this is the fact that when I clicked on the fishing forum app, sometimes it got taken to my banking web site. Very worrying! Anyway, all seems smooth sailing at the moment. I hope no one else has theses issues but at least they will be made aware.
By the way, if you click okay on the pop up this takes you to what I believe is a fake Apple app site. I would not recommend inputting any Apple ID or password.

Last edited:
OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Just an update, I upgraded to IOS 7.0.4 yesterday as one of the fly fishing forum members suggested and now pop up free since. The admin on the site say they have everything in hand. The worrying bit about all this is the fact that when I clicked on the fishing forum app, sometimes it got taken to my banking web site. Very worrying! Anyway, all seems smooth sailing at the moment. I hope no one else has theses issues but at least they will be made aware.
By the way, if you click okay on the pop up this takes you to what I believe is a fake Apple app site. I would not recommend inputting any Apple ID or password.
I spoke too soon, the pop up is back, grrrrrr!
Still, my iPad is fine with the latest IOS, so that's a big plus :)

OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've seen some sites cover the entire page with a semi-transparent add with a bit of text and or graphic element in the center. The close (x) button is usually at the top right, but may require zooming out to see. Occasionally the add will be so big I can never get to the (x), if it's there.

Just re-read your post, Twerpoet, and I will certainly look for the X however, I feel that it not there intentionally. As I said before, if the pop up is opened it takes you to what appears to be the Apple Store. I believe this to be a fake site but that is just MHO.
Your advice is always welcome and thanks again.
Mike

OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Just to let you know, Twerpoet, the pop up is back under a different name/address but there is definitely no little x anywhere. This is obviously to make you click the OK button thinking you may get rid of it. Thanks anyway.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just to let you know, Twerpoet, the pop up is back under a different name/address but there is definitely no little x anywhere. This is obviously to make you click the OK button thinking you may get rid of it. Thanks anyway.

Oh well.

And if the pop-up does anything other than take you to the actual App Store app, you are right. Don't enter any info. Apple does not support any kind of site that will let you order apps through a website.

It's a bit of over the top irony, a phishing scam in a fly fishing forum, don't you think? (I couldn't resist any longer).

Though it is possible to view an app's info in a website. Normally the web view of an app's store page only shows in a computer browser, but I suppose a third party browser might show that page as well. This view won't actually let you purchase anything. Instead of having a Buy or Free button it will have a View In iTunes button. And the URL will begin with itunes.apple.com/

GoodReader_for_iPad_on_the_App_Store_on_iTunes.jpg

OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh well.

And if the pop-up does anything other than take you to the actual App Store app, you are right. Don't enter any info. Apple does not support any kind of site that will let you order apps through a website.

It's a bit of over the top irony, a phishing scam in a fly fishing forum, don't you think? (I couldn't resist any longer).

Though it is possible to view an app's info in a website. Normally the web view of an app's store page only shows in a computer browser, but I suppose a third party browser might show that page as well. This view won't actually let you purchase anything. Instead of having a Buy or Free button it will have a View In iTunes button. And the URL will begin with itunes.apple.com/

View attachment 50315

Nice one, Twerpoet! Thanks again for the info.
Take care :)

OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I have done a little more research regarding the optimize-app.com pop up. It is malware and appears to be of some concern. Although there is a lot of advice how to rid a PC of this infernal pop up, there is nothing about how to remove it from an Apple device. Any suggestions will be most welcome.
Thanks in anticipation.
Mike

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The real solution is for the forum managers to deal with a higher class of advertisement company. No advertisement service worth having should allow these kinds of adds on their servers once they've been identified.

You don't need to worry about de-installing anything on the iPad. It is not susceptible to the malware/adware the advertisement leads to.

Last edited:
OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The real solution is for the forum managers to deal with a higher class of advertisement company. No advertisement service worth having should allow these kinds of adds on their servers once they've been identified.

You don't need to worry about de-installing anything on the iPad. It is not susceptible to the malware/adware the advertisement leads to.
Thanks again, Twerpoet, but the pop up locks the screen. I am now having to input my username and password each time I go on site. It has also popped up on this site! Unnerving to say the least!
Totally agree re. the fishing (don't say it again, please ;)) forum but I read the following on an Apple support site

"I'm being challenged by a Safari popup that advises me that this is the last day to take advantage of "free top apple applications". The website URL is topappleapp.info and gives only one option: "Ok". If you don't click OK, the page remains frozen. If I click OK, I'm transferred to the Apps Store. There, the application offered is "Bingo Bash".

Again, no options to not install. The page is frozen to all but install.

There is something going on here. Apple may think that it has the world under its control through the App Store, but I can think of only one reason why this "one day only" offer (now on day three) would direct me to the App Store. The obvious answer it is to gain numbers of installations of Bingo Bash. I suspect there are pay options in that "free" install that can only benefit from greater numbers of users.

So, rather than furthering the "hope" that the Apple platform is impervious to malware, why not help solve this problem. The only thing worse for Apple than having a security breach is to deny having one, when clearly one exists."

It seems I am not alone in this. Weirdly that is kind of comforting. I fervently hope the statement in the last paragraph above is not the reality.
Mike

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts