What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tip: Blocking those annoying vibrant popups

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have anything against a little advertising here and there, but those vibrant popup ads that are littered throughout every single post in this forum are just too much. If you are tired of closing multiple ad windows every time you try to navigate a post and hover over a double underlined word, check out the following link. It works for me with the latest version of Firefox. It does take a few seconds after opening a thread to remove the popup links.

Killing intrusive ads with Firefox extensions—contentious.com

George Knighton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Firefox plus its various extensions is a great addition for anyone who browses forums a lot.

It's hard for the owners of forums to resist Vibrant, Google insertions and various kinds of Flash advertising content. The money's too tempting.

But...on the other hand...none of them want to piss you off by blocking references to Firefox and its extensions. :) I recommend Firefox and Adblock Plus for any Windows machine.

For some reason, however, although I have tried Firefox on my Macbook, I seem to prefer Safari even with the advertising showing. It might be anecdotal and subjective, but I find Safari to be quicker than Firefox when working on a Mac.

OP
D

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, I believe Safari and Chrome are both probably faster under Windows 7 as well. I have been using Firefox so long I just can't bring myself to use anything else these days.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, I believe Safari and Chrome are both probably faster under Windows 7 as well. I have been using Firefox so long I just can't bring myself to use anything else these days.

Chrome is faster then Safari on my iMac. But it does have some bugs. Little one's like when I click on my favorites folder the web icons don't come up when you first sign in. Clicking it a second time and it starts working.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure what your talking about...I have never seen a pop up on this site. I use chrome, does it auto block them, so its like they dont exist? The only ads I've seen is at the top and bottom of the forum and they don't bother me.

OP
D

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure what your talking about...I have never seen a pop up on this site. I use chrome, does it auto block them, so its like they dont exist? The only ads I've seen is at the top and bottom of the forum and they don't bother me.

Maybe Chrome auto-blocks the pop ups I am talking about. If you look through a post and see text with a double line under it, it is tagged to pop up an advertisement. I know those pop-ups are enabled for Firefox, IE, and Safari but perhaps they don't work under Chrome. If they did, chances are you would hate them too.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the Windows version of Safari and I don't see any of those pop-ups.

OP
D

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is completely possible that the newer builds of Safari automatically block the vibrant popups. I only tried the Windows version long enough to know it didn't meet my needs so I can't actually verify that. I did a quick Google search on "vibrant popups Safari" and found a lot of Mac users complaining about the ads but not much from Windows users (not surprising as Safari isn't a major player on the platform right now).

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did a quick Google search on "vibrant popups Safari" and found a lot of Mac users complaining about the ads but not much from Windows users (not surprising as Safari isn't a major player on the platform right now).
That's because Safari for Windows really sucks! It crashes pretty much every day, but I still use it because I like it better over all that IE8. I tried the beta for next generation of IE and I had to go into safe mode to delete it!

OP
D

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did a quick Google search on "vibrant popups Safari" and found a lot of Mac users complaining about the ads but not much from Windows users (not surprising as Safari isn't a major player on the platform right now).
That's because Safari for Windows really sucks! It crashes pretty much every day, but I still use it because I like it better over all that IE8. I tried the beta for next generation of IE and I had to go into safe mode to delete it!

I am with you on IE. I think I gave up on Internet Explorer somewhere around version 5. I have been trying to force myself to use Chrome recently, but I think I have been using Firefox too long to change.

Most reactions