What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Minimum free storage req’d iPad Pro 2nd gen?

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
12.9” iPad Pro 2nd / 256GB

Do either machine or os require a minimum amount of free space as macs do (or did?) in order to operate properly?

Swap space?

I’m working on a video and down to 2.33gb available. I’m told when I have too little room to rip a video at a certain quality but I am not getting ‘out of memory’ warnings that the iPad is choking on the small amount available to it.

Perhaps the iPad / iPad OS can handle it and you can go right down to zero?

thank you

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Storage and memory are two different terms. You can be almost out of storage space as you are and still have lots of available memory(also known as RAM). To finish your video project you’re going to have to delete items from the storage capacity.

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That part I get.

What I wonder is: do the iPad and iPad OS have minimum free space requirements in order to function properly?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The storage space an app needs to do its job may be different than what the iPad itself needs to operate. If the app requires large amounts of temporary storage to handle large files, then it might not work, while the iPad, not allowing the app to take storage away from the system, would chug along normally. The iPad rarely gives notification for system problems or limits.

Also, keep in mind that a lot of high end apps are written for the newest bestest iPads, with features disabled for older/cheaper models. Limiting the encoding quality could be one of those.

Most reactions

Latest posts