What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free Up Space on Your iPhone or iPad With Avast’s New Photo Space App

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
Photo Space.JPG

Avast has unveiled a new app, Photo Space, which is designed to enable you to free up space on your iOS device. The app works by optimising photos in order to reduce the amount of storage that they occupy by seven times, creating photo and storage space.

“In an age where endless apps let users snap photos, mobile device storage can quickly become overwhelmed with the burden of storing hundreds, or even thousands, of videos, photos and images. With the value we place on photos, users shouldn’t have to choose between freeing space and keeping old photos”, said Avast president of mobile, Gagan Singh. “Avast survey results show that more than half of iOS users have 16GBs or less storage available on their devices, which can be easily consumed by photos and apps. With Avast Photo Space, users can free up storage on their devices without having to agonize over which photos to save and which to delete.”

The app works by lowering a photo’s resolution to device screen values, and the original, high-res version of the photo is sent to your cloud account. This ensures that the quality of the original photo is preserved, but you now have more space on your phone and an easily accessible version of the photo even when you’re offline.

Avast Photo Space includes a camera app that automatically transfers, optimizes, and syncs photos via personal cloud accounts, which can shrink 7GB of photos down to 1GB.

Click here to download the free app: Avast Photo Space on the App Store

Source: Avast Software

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well l'm giving it a try. It offers to use my dropbox or google to as a store. Even telling me how many photos l can store in them. Sadly l only have space for 11,507 in google.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This app optimizes photo storage on your device exactly like iCloud Photo Library does, without a third party app like this one.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I want to load images to Dropbox or Google, I do that directly, without using another app. It's possible to upload the images to these apps automatically, so I don't understand why I should use Avast to get them there.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not that I was planning to use the app (have other easier alternatives), I was curious - first issue is that the app is optimized for the iPhone (although 1X expansion on an iPad is possible w/ poorer resolution vs. the smaller image) - second issue, selection of Dropbox or Google Drive, brings up the 'requests' by Avast shown in the screen capture below - I was not about to give permission for those items, so deleted the app. Dave :)
IMG_6236.PNG

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since this app merely duplicates the already existing capability of iCloud Photo Library, I don't see the need for an app like Avast Photo Space as it gives us nothing new.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Since this app merely duplicates the already existing capability of iCloud Photo Library, I don't see the need for an app like Avast Photo Space as it gives us nothing new.

I suppose it could be useful for thise who don't want to purchase extra iCloud storage. For me, the extra hoops you would have to jump through to use this less itegrated solution isn't worth the small savings in cost.

Most reactions

Latest posts