What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MIDI into iMac via camera connection kit

liamcroft

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Does anyone know if it's possible to send MIDI data from an app like TouchOsc into an iMac running a program like reason 5? I've tried it already with wifi but my iMac's Internet sharing doesn't work properly and although I did manage to get a MIDI signal into AudioMIDI Setup, I couldn't get TouchOsc (or Midi designer) to control any of the parameters in Reason except the pitch bend wheel - which it did with a latency of about half a minute. I'm hoping if I can send midi over USB cable with the camera connection kit, Reason will allow the iPad to control parameters other than pitch bend, and with low latency.

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Do a Google search for iPad MIDI interface. You should see several products. They will require a compatible app of course, but you should be able to find that int he App Store by searching for MIDI, or they may be mentioned on the hardware sites.

I've kept a casual eye on the MIDI and other instrument apps/hardware, but can't really recommend any; the budget will only stretch so far and I haven't been able to scratch that itch yet.

OP
L

liamcroft

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks man, yea I found a few different things- the alesis audio and MIDI dock stood out but im not sure if it works with iPad 3 and it seems to only have 16 bit audio recording. It's a shame cos if it had 24 bit it would be an excellent portable multitrack recorder.

Anyway, since posting I have managed to get it up and running to an extent. From what I saw, touch osc is an amazing app for controlling DAWs and sequencers (I've used it with reason 5, couldn't get it to work with logic 9 or pro tools 9 native, but I'm sure it's possible with a bit more time spent), but I've just got a maschine mikro anyway so il probably be preoccupied with that for quite a while :) thanks for your help

Most reactions

Latest posts