What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MIDI and camera connection kit

gonnaaskaq

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've searched on this forum, and on google, for info about this, but couldn't find anything at all useful.

I have heard that the new iOS on the iPad has support for MIDI via the USB Camera Connection kit. I would like to use my iPad to send MIDI signals to my PC, in order to control DJing software. (I know there are some ways to do this by wifi networks, but for various reasons I want to do this over a physical cable.)

I bought myself a camera connection kit and connected my iPad to my computer (Windows 7 machine) via a USB A to USB A lead, but it seems like nothing's happening - there's no effect on my computer and the midi apps I'm using (MidiPadz Lite, S1MidiTrigger, and Midi Monitor) suggest there is no connection.

Is what I'm trying to do possible? It seems to me like the most obvious thing you'd want to do with MIDI and the iPad, but I can't find any info on it!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

T

TJK

You should check out the Line 6 Midi Mobilizer:
MIDI Interface for iPhone, iPad & iPod touch | MIDI Mobilizer | Line 6

This interface and a MIDI card in your Windows machine should allow MIDI control.

Many of the mixing and control apps use WiFi and require that the proper software "proxy" be installed on the host computer. You need to check the app store for apps that are designed to control your software on the PC. there are numerous apps that control the more popular programs such as Ableton or Logic. There is another protocol called OSC that is pretty popular.

OP
gonnaaskaq

gonnaaskaq

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Do you know any way of sending midi signals from the ipad to a PC directly via USB?

The Line 6 seems like it could work, though I'd also have to buy an external midi to usb connection for my laptop. This seems expensive, and a crazy way to create what's essentially a USB connection, but I realise it might be the only option.

The problem with the wireless solutions is that, if I understand correctly, they all need to use a wifi network, so I can't just turn my computer on and have it work, I need to mess about with network settings, and can't use it anywhere without a wifi network. This isn't practical for playing out!

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do you know any way of sending midi signals from the ipad to a PC directly via USB?
Reliably? No.

As to your first question, you should do check out the Korg SynthStation forum.

I'm currently a bit of a pessimist regarding any midi communication via the camera connection kit.

TJK
"This interface and a MIDI card in your Windows machine should allow MIDI control".

Should. Remember, it's the iPad we're talking about here.:)

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The problem with the wireless solutions is that, if I understand correctly, they all need to use a wifi network, so I can't just turn my computer on and have it work, I need to mess about with network settings, and can't use it anywhere without a wifi network. This isn't practical for playing out!

The iPad has WiFi, your laptop has WiFi. That's your network right there.

OP
gonnaaskaq

gonnaaskaq

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The iPad has WiFi, your laptop has WiFi. That's your network right there.

Can you elaborate on that? In the instructions for all the wifi solutions I've seen, it starts by saying "make sure your ipad and computer are connected to the same network". Is there a way to connect them without a pre-existing wifi network? Thanks.

EDIT: I had no idea this was possible. I'm now googling ad-hoc networks.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts