What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can the camera connection kit be used with a usb midi controller keyboard?

SonicBodhi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need to know if the Apple camera connection kit can be used with a usb midi controller keyboard with apps such as GarageBand. I have an iPad 3 with iOS 6.01

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hard to say without trying it, but I would not count on it.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
SonicBodhi said:
I need to know if the Apple camera connection kit can be used with a usb midi controller keyboard with apps such as GarageBand. I have an iPad 3 with iOS 6.01

Not on a stock non jailbroken iPad. I don't know if it would work on a jailbroken iPad.

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The only thing the CCK will allow you to use it for is to see Photos and videos taken 'directly' from a camera or video recorder.
You can't even copy photos onto an sd card or USB stick..... they simply will not show.
Asking the CCK to do anything other simply won't happen ~ If I were you I would find out further info on Jailbreaking.

EDITED:
Okay, found a way to copy photos from a Laptop to the iPad using the CCK:-
1. Rename any photos you have with an 8 digit filename ~ Home0001 or Famly001.
2. Copy to an sd card and insert into the CCK.
3. Insert CCK into the base of the iPad and load the Photos App. This will then read the contents of any photos you have added using the 8 digit method.

Last edited:
OP
S

SonicBodhi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's great information, but does not pertain to the question I asked, and aside from that, I don't need to jail-break my iPad, I can send photos to myself via e-mail and save them to the camera roll if I have to. This is about music, not photos.

I've done a little more research and found that there is third party hardware that will work with the cck at least on a guitar input. But I'm looking for a way to make my usb midi keyboard work with my iPad, so I don't have to buy a piece of hardware that requires me to use the antiquated midi dyn plugs.

Any suggestions, anyone?

Last edited:

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I was looking for similar info about plugging in a USB microscope. Further research suggests that the CCK only recognizes mass storage, not webcams or input devices, and anything that works must convince the iPad it's a mass storage device. If a device doesn't specifically claim it works directly into an iPad, it probably won't.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

OP
S

SonicBodhi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not on a stock non jailbroken iPad. I don't know if it would work on a jailbroken iPad.

Wrong. I bought a camera connection kit and plugged an Oxygen 25 midi keyboard in, and it uses the native OS 10 midi driver to run the keyboard in apps such as Garage Band, Sunrizer Synth, and DXi. My iPad 3 remains un-jailbroken. It is true that I get a message from the OS that says the device is not supported, but it works anyway.

nobleisrael

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the ipad 4 and a bus powered midi keyboard that I cannot make work. The ipad says not sufficient power. Any help?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have the ipad 4 and a bus powered midi keyboard that I cannot make work. The ipad says not sufficient power. Any help?

Your keyboard draws more power than the iPad can supply. You're going to have to get another keyboard, preferably a Bluetooth one, which doesn't draw any power from the iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts