What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Microsoft kills Courier

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This was a good deal for HP. MS is not in a driver seat because they are building a product. They have to rely on another company to build "it". Wonder what we will see with this new agreement with HTC.

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Web OS is coming, Web OS is Coming, Web OS is Coming......

So true now that HP bought Palm. My wife has the Palm Pre, and I am not very impressed with WebOS. But, it is at least a good start.

I have had a Palm Pre since June and it works great. Not a lot of Apps but it is a phone so I really don't care. I can get access to the value of all of my portfolios through yahoo finance by using the built in web browser and Flash is coming to it before the end of the year.

If HP puts a lot of polishing on the Web OS and places it on a Tablet the iPad will have some serious competition.

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Microsoft will focus their efforts on [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttgx9ygMXz8"]Surface Computing[/ame] which when implemented in the consumer market in desks, tables, and counter tops will be the leading technology. The iPad is extremely small in comparison to this.

The next leap forward will come in the last half of this decade and that will be voice recognition.

I am just waiting for the lawsuits against Apple to start after people permanently damage their fingers from overuse of the iPad.

It will happen!

Last edited:

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
I think this is bad for the ipad in the long term. If there isn't competition, there isn't a real reason that Apple is pushed to make it better. Even if the slate and courier were crappy products, there would have been something that was a good feature.

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think this is bad for the ipad in the long term. If there isn't competition, there isn't a real reason that Apple is pushed to make it better. Even if the slate and courier were crappy products, there would have been something that was a good feature.

I don't think so, Apple has invested lots of money into this platform. True competition will not exist until a quality product is introduced with a great UI. By the time that happens the iPad will have such a strong following it will be tough to put a dent in its marketshare. Apple is constantly working to their products

Temp40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.tabletbuzzblog.com

I understand what you are trying to say, thing is competition can be good to help lower prices for the consumer however I don't think lack of competition will have any impact overall on the iPad evolving to be better and better

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I agree. competiion like this is good, Windows machines are not all bad, I am certainly more used to them and the interface having dealt with Microsoft since DOS 4.0 but they just don't work all the time.

I think it is incredible that these two huge companies have capitulated to Apple because they saw that their machines just can't compete.

Will be interesting to read what all the iPad naysayers from the last 3 months write on Microsoft and HP's capitulation.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score

There will be competitors, just not as lame as the Slate and Courier. HP is going to try and make the WebOS the OS for the Slate.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Microsoft will focus their efforts on Surface Computing which when implemented in the consumer market in desks, tables, and counter tops will be the leading technology. The iPad is extremely small in comparison to this.

The next leap forward will come in the last half of this decade and that will be voice recognition.

I am just waiting for the lawsuits against Apple to start after people permanently damage their fingers from overuse of the iPad.

It will happen!

LOL, Surface...

I actually got to use this thing last year at a studio that did some dev for it. It's pretty choppy and not nearly as smooth as an iPad...but the interface (while dated now) is actually pretty cool and very NOT windows. It shows that MS does "get" touch devices...they just don't know how to market them!

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LOL, Surface...

I actually got to use this thing last year at a studio that did some dev for it. It's pretty choppy and not nearly as smooth as an iPad...but the interface (while dated now) is actually pretty cool and very NOT windows. It shows that MS does "get" touch devices...they just don't know how to market them!

As with everything else over time it will improve and become cheaper. Remember how bad LCD monitors were when they first came out? Quite expensive too!

Most reactions

Latest posts