What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

memory

feldmeir

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,
was wondering if anybody know how much real memory the ipad3 has? 512 for the 2 what has the 3 got?

Feldmeir

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP is asking about RAM, not GBs.

From what I've read, it's supposed to have 1GB RAM, but I've not seen confirmation that I trust.

ChrisP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
General concensus is that this information will not be provided by apple, but that we will receive it after someone receives theirs on launch and does a teardown (ifixit)

The signs do point to at least 1GB based on the feedback in some of the presentations about having more memory and being more powerful than current-gen consoles, etc...

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Based on history and logic, 1 Gb is odds on favorite. Vegas would put 1Gb @ 1:1, 512Mb @ 2:1, 2 Gb @ 1,000:1.:eek:

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually the amount of RAM on board is dictated by battery life. Unless there was a breakthru in battery life for maintaining a volitale RAM's state, I would suspect the iPad (3rd Gen) will still have 512MB.

Also the doubling of the RAM will not provide any benifit to the overall operation of the iPad. Since iOS automatically rolls out applications not in use, as an app needs more memory it simply has to request it and it will get it within a few millisecond. There are no apps, that I am aware of, that come even close to needing 256 Megs of RAM. Even the games that are 1 GB in size only load the module in use by the user into memory.

Another line of thought is the push to have "universal apps". The iPhone 4S is already struggling with battery life and it doesn't even have LTE yet. Going to 1GB of RAM would further drain the battery with no benifit. So a developer is going to have to weigh how they code going forward with 3 generations of iPhones to support and 3 generation of iPads.

Most reactions

Latest posts