What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much Memory is reserved for OS.

Ipad_rookie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm new to the apple world (yeah it took me sometime to catch up with the world). Just bought ipad3 and it was working fine until the system crashed for some reason, got the replacement now have a feeling that something is wrong with this one as well. It may well be psychological but particularly the system is showing 28gb as total memory out of which 27gb is free (off course I just replaced it). My question is shouldnt it show system memory as 32gb as that's what i bought or the 4gb is for OS?

My view is even if 4gb is for OS it should show 32gb as total memory?

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure what mine read straight out of the box but right now it shows capacity of 57.2 with 26.3 free. Now having the 64g unit I know the OS and preinstalled apps are to be added to the 57.2gb so maybe if I deleted all of my email then both the 57.2 and the 26.3 would go up but I'm not positive on the 57.2 going up I'm just guessing mind you.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ipad_rookie said:
Hi guys,
I'm new to the apple world (yeah it took me sometime to catch up with the world). Just bought ipad3 and it was working fine until the system crashed for some reason, got the replacement now have a feeling that something is wrong with this one as well. It may well be psychological but particularly the system is showing 28gb as total memory out of which 27gb is free (off course I just replaced it). My question is shouldnt it show system memory as 32gb as that's what i bought or the 4gb is for OS?

28gb available storage is correct for a factory fresh iPad with nothing sorted in memory.The missing 4gb is taken up by the OS,stock apps,etc.
This is a screenshot showing the total available storage on my 32gb ipad3 and how much of it I've used.
image-2802348660.jpg

Last edited:

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,

If it showed 32GB available then, when you got down to 4GB remaining you would not be able to put anything else on it because it would be at capacity.

Edit: Never mind, I get what you are saying, you want to total capacity to indicate 32GB. I guess Apple just wants you to know how much space is available to work with.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts