What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding memory??????????

dkelban

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, and thanks in advance. There are private, apple trained technicians. Has anyone used one (my ipad is off warranty so that is not an issue) to upgrade memory. I have 32gb, and would like to go up to 64. Is this even possible? I imagine it would involve swapping memory chips.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi, and thanks in advance. There are private, apple trained technicians. Has anyone used one (my ipad is off warranty so that is not an issue) to upgrade memory. I have 32gb, and would like to go up to 64. Is this even possible? I imagine it would involve swapping memory chips.

As already stated, you're stuck w/ 32GB of internal storage on your iPad; but, you may want to tell us 'why' you need to double that memory, e.g. videos, music, etc.? There are certainly cloud options and off-device storage, such as the Apotop Wi-Reader below, that might serve your needs? Dave :)

A1W7_130077169022153641IjwlmDWAVg.jpg

OP
D

dkelban

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Videos...what do you recommend, and thanks for a very helpful response.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Videos...what do you recommend, and thanks for a very helpful response.

Well, I cannot give you a personal recommendation from experience, so can only mention some options - most of my video watching is done via streaming (Roku device to my HDTV), DVR recordings, and DVD/BDs - however, that Apotop Wi-Reader has been on my wish list for a while - see Gabriel's thread HERE; the manufacturers of external drives also have products that provide Wi-Fi streaming (check the Seagate HD HERE); and of course apps on your device, such as Netflix can provide streaming over a Wi-Fi network. So, just a couple of suggestions to think about - good luck! Dave :)

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Here, thanks to iFixit, is why it is not something to be asked lightly:

image-3631556923.jpg

The yellow bordered chip is the memory, in this case 16 GB

image-2249181199.jpg

Here you can see it next to the processor (to the left, the cap has been taken off of the A5 processor)

OP
D

dkelban

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. Are they hard to set up and use, and which one would you recommend: Seagate?

OP
D

dkelban

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, and which one would you recommend? Seagate?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks. Are they hard to set up and use, and which one would you recommend: Seagate?

Well, since I do not own nor have used a 'wireless' Wi-Fi external HD, I cannot give you a specific recommendation - NOW, I've bought many non-wireless external drives in the past including Seagate, and currently have two of their drives for 'Time Machine' backup of my iMac & MBPro. However, I would strongly suggest that you review the link given previously on the Apotop Wi-Reader (also check Amazon for reviews of not only this product but others). Also, you may want to google 'external wifi hard drive' - there will be plenty of hits on specific brands and also reviews from various sources. So, unless another member 'chimes in' w/ some more specific personal experience, this is about the best that I can offer. Good luck in your selection. Dave :)

Most reactions