What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marie's Backup/syncing issues with iTunes!

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sweet Marie, If this fails I would uninstall itunes on your PC, reboot and reinstall iTunes.. then reconnect your ipad and see if you can get a good sync/backup.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would you? That was one of my next steps, Brenn. But tell me ~ would we lose all of our songs on iTunes? My DD will kill me.

In 12 min this will have been going on for two hours, and it is not even half way through.

Should I let it keep going? How am I going to know if it works, B? Try it again at another four hours? LOL!

iwhat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not sure if this is a good idea,but when I get too frustrated and don't need to backup my iPad,I use a software called Backoff which turns off the auto backup function of iTunes temporarily,saving me from hour long backups,hence that decreases the time for a complete sync process,but this isn't recommended. In my experience when you uninstall iTunes nothing gets deleted in your iTunes library(I am not so sure but in my case my library remains intact when I uninstall iTunes and install updates or some weird reason downgrade to older versions). But you know I am not even saying this. Btw,back off when used to turn off the backup the iTunes will launch in install mode,that is it will seem like it's getting reinstalled by itself but nothing of that sort happens literally,it'll show that preparing to install thingy and then launch the iTunes without anything changed. This reinstall thingy happens only once. You'll need the .net frame work 2 to run back off for windows. Once again this is just an information that might help by reducing the huge auto backup process time waste(when you don't need it),and only use it if you are feeling over adventurous. :)

P.S: This only disables the auto backup that happens before the sync process,but if you want to backup you can do it manually but right clicking the iPad in itunes and selecting backup.

Last edited:
OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iWhat. Thank you! This was one of my next steps too! I was reading all about it last night some other forums.

I think tho ~ I will use this as my last resort. Stick around ~ may need to pick your brain!:D

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Appoximately 12 min and it will have been three hours, since starting this. It is not even half way done.

Should I stop it or let it go?

aj07

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem with my ipad. i deleted all the back up files and such and it still takes about 1.5-2 hours for 10-11gig on a 32 gig ipad... where as my iphone 4 that i got about 1 month after my ipad take 1-2 min!!! so i'd like to know what the hell the ipad is doing poorly, where as the iphone 4 flys?!?1? /boggle /cry

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Long shot solution suggestion.... do you have another docking cable?

I have been reading a lot of forums and some say that switching to another cable cured their backup problems. I mean it was like a miraculous difference!

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh. My daughter's ipod! Yes, i have it here, but once i mixed them up, Scott and it was really hard to get it out of the ipad!

Should I try it again?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's OK... I use one of the older cables (from my Nano!) to sync... when you take it out, you have to squeeze the thingies on the side... don't just yank it out!

It only goes in one way... you shouldn't need to force it.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im not doing it. It won't go in unless i force it. Not happening. When I first got my ipad, i used her cable by accident and almost could not get it out!!

Now it has her initials on it.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just put them end to end, and her ipod cable is obviously bigger. Not using it. IF I had a camera I would show you the difference!!

Most reactions