What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Many Apps have quit working

tmetcalf52

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had a 32G iPad for months. recently I've had a bunch of apps quit working. At first I thought it was a conflict, mainly noticed with TowerMadness (my fav), I uninstalled some recent apps, uninstalled TM than re-installed it - No Luck. Other apps not working - USA Today, and several games. Any ideas out there??

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have similar problems. For example, I tried to launch USAToday, the logo appeared and after several seconds, got me back to home screen. Same problem with Weatherbug (I went and got the Weather Channel and this works). Nook Book App opens books but when I press the icon to take me to the bookstore, I'm not able to connect to BN.COM and the app kicks me back to home page. (Kindle and iBook works.) The Bloomburg App, something I've used since the very beginning, stopped working too. My thinking is that all of these apps require a good internet connection, so I waited until I got home today and started using wifi, still no go on these apps.

I have closed all the apps in the multi-task bar. I have reset my iPad by turning it off and waiting several seconds and still these apps don't work. I would reinstall USAToday and Weatherbug but I do not want to uninstall NOOK or Bloomburg because I do not want to loose my books that I have bought nor have to re-enter the stock portfolio that I refer to everyday. Maybe I'll delete Bloomburg since I can't see this portfolio any way.

There has got to be a better way to figure out what the problem is and resolve these problems without having to uninstall anything and have to reinstall to get an app to work again.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
@ tmetcalf52,

When things start acting a bit weird, it's a good idea to completely shut the iPad off and restart. You should probably do this at least once a week (my unsupported opinion on frequency.)

Just hold down the power button for about three seconds. You'll get a power off slider. Go ahead and slide it off. Wait until the iPad completely shuts down and then restart it by holding down the power button for about three seconds again.

For more serious problems, when shutting it off doesn't work, you can do a soft reset. Hold down the power and home key for about 10 seconds, or until the Apple logo appears. Let go and wait for it to reboot. This will take a few minutes, so be patient.

@MattIM,

if you've tried a soft reset I don't know of anything else to suggest sort of a complete restore.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Matt, i can only comment on Weatherbug. Their last upgrade is a resl problem. No ones' is working and they will have to have an upgrade to fix it. I remember when OFfice HD had a bug and they told me that it takes about 2 weeks for a new upgrade to be approved and show up in the app store. I miss Weatherbug but am using Accuweather and Weather.com at the moment. Its not always the Ipad but the apps themselves. Sometimes upgrades create mioe problems than solve them.

Diane.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Diane for your comment regarding Weatherbug. I have to LOL because I thought there was something going on with my iPad but then again, all of these problems seem to have all happened today! I have to admit I haven't launched Weatherbug in about a week.

Hard reset, soft reset, delete app, reinstall app. These "resolutions" don't seem to be like they resolve anything except to restart the app processes and remove them from any OS conflicts. I know that the task of resolving app problems belong to the developers that created the app. Do they ever make their way onto forums like this one? I have reported problems to developers in the Appstore but I have never gotten any acknowledgement that they even got my 'report a problem.'

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Weatherbug ($.99 Elite version with no ads before they changed to whatever it is now) is on iPad and iPhone. It kicks me out of it all the time, but then works usually when I try again a second later. It's still annoying though.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think some developers respond quite promptly. I've contacted several developers, all of whom responded. One was Office HD, several photography apps, 2 of the note apps and a few others. All of the ones I reported issues with or requested options responded quite personally and one I needed support from gave me good help. i really think it depends upon the developer(s) and probably the app genre. BTW, another app with an upgrade that is now completely unusable but they are working on it--TUAW (the unofficial Apple weblog) which I like to read every day--now I access through Safaril

Edit: i read about Intellicast on other thread about Weatherbug and installed it. i'll have to check reliability but so far I like it a lot--foothills of western NC

Diane

Last edited:
OP
T

tmetcalf52

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Soft reset solved my problem, (except I had to start with zero saved in TM, anyway it let me keep my flamethrower) Thanks

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I should noticed you mentioned Weather Bug. I knew there was a problem with it.

A somewhat timely/untimely article from AppAdvice. Maybe the author got bit by the bug too.

If You Keep The Files, Restoring Old App Versions Isn’t Hard :: App Advice

twerppoet, thank you for posting this link to appadvice regarding *.ipa files. THIS is super! I am going to try it when I get home from work today.

(Once again, this forum--thanks to you, Dianne, and tmetcalf52 OP--has proven its value to my enjoyment of this iPad.)

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad froze Monday while I was at the Apple store for an iPad class. The genius restored it and after a six hour sync WeatherBug is working again. It's a heavy price to pay to get an app working though.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Noticed one or two apps have gotten squirrely since the last OS upgrade. Suspect we've slightly less free ram to play with since multitasking arrived.
Not that it really matters but the previous version was so rock solid.

Would be perfectly happy to revert back as I never use multitasking but guess the next model will be out in a few months.

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think it is more to do with OS 4.21 than it is the various apps. Many apps that used to work just fine under OS 4.1 are now acting strange - even some of the Apple apps - notably Mail - when you delete mail, sometimes it will just exit to the springboard.

Since the OS changed - more likely the OS than the app. And there are reports that there are problems with with OS 4.3X as well. Oh well... If there were an easy way to revert, I would probably re-install 4.1, but some of the apps that I am using only work with 4.21 - what's a body to do?? :eek:

Most reactions