What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issues with Air

panchucko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I set up my Air I set up my Air I restored it from backup (iTunes)

I seem to be getting a lot of safari crashes, it happens on any page at any time.
I tried reading the logs in the diagnostics but I may as we'll be reading microsofts bsod log

Battery, I seem to be getting only about 4 1/2 hours between charges

Screen, it seems to get dirtier than my iPad 3

Anyone having any issues?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello - just for starters, did you 'Reset' the iPad after the restoration? If not, then give the maneuver a try - directions below if not familiar w/ the procedure - Dave :)

Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

OP
panchucko

panchucko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello - just for starters, did you 'Reset' the iPad after the restoration? If not, then give the maneuver a try - directions below if not familiar w/ the procedure - Dave :)
Thanks for the reply, yes I have tried a reset but still no changes.

I am going to restore it, not use my backup.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine crashes now and then too, A reset doesn't seem to help, It isn't bothering me too much though, i'll see how it goes.

Elux72

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I set up my Air with an iCloud backup (from my Mini) and haven't had any problems (fingers crossed that none will develop) with Safari or anything else, and the battery life has been fantastic...just as good or better than the Mini. As for the screen, well, this may sound a little silly, but where it's brand new, fingerprints, dust, and so on will show up a little more clearly than an older iPad where the screen has acquired a 'lived in' look. I don't know how you clean your screens, but I find a microfibre cloth (such as a glasses cleaning cloth) does extremely well if used regularly. My screens, by the way, seem to get particularly dirty, as I use my iPads for drawing, which means a huge blurry, streaky area of finger painting, in addition to the keyboard fingerprint spots and swiping trails.

Threelions

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had a few Safari crashes and two full reboots since I got my Air definitely an issue but .4 is supposed to be out soon maybe that will help.

argon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had a few Safari crashes and two full reboots since I got my Air definitely an issue but .4 is supposed to be out soon maybe that will help.

I'm waiting for this issue to be sorted out before I make my purchase. Anyone else having similar problems? Threelions -- please let us know how this works out for you, or if you've discovered a different cause of your iPad problems. Elsewhere in the Internet Universe, people with your problems are returning their iPad Airs within their 30-day return period.... it's not very common, and the thinking is is that it's simply bad luck in receiving a defective unit.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm waiting for this issue to be sorted out before I make my purchase. Anyone else having similar problems? Threelions -- please let us know how this works out for you, or if you've discovered a different cause of your iPad problems. Elsewhere in the Internet Universe, people with your problems are returning their iPad Airs within their 30-day return period.... it's not very common, and the thinking is is that it's simply bad luck in receiving a defective unit.
I think returning the Air for a refund isn't necessary, this is most likely a software issue that can be sorted, I'm going to ring Apple tomorrow and see what they say.

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think returning the Air for a refund isn't necessary, this is most likely a software issue that can be sorted, I'm going to ring Apple tomorrow and see what they say.

See my comments in the other memory thread to see what they told me today. Time will tell.

OP
panchucko

panchucko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I restored my Air, to new didn't use backup.
This is second day now and I see no issues, I haven't had a Single crash and battery life improved.
I must have had something installed or had bad settings on on my iPad 3 that we're conflicting with the Air

Another thing I noticed is that when I would tap a link from a web page or Facebook, I had to double tap to make it go, single tap now
Also when I tapped on a link that took me to a video YouTube or other, the screen would fade in really small then go back to normal, since the restore those issues have disappeared

I so blame my initial issues to something brought over with the iPad 3

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I too did a complete reset and restore today at the apple store. I used it all afternoon putting apps back on, using Safari, and had no crashes. Just as I thought all had been fixed I went to a web site that caused all kinds of crashes last night ( actually a favorable review site of the Air) and guess what? A low memory crash again. I don't know why that particular web site is so bad. It even crashed my iPad 2. So, it's much improved with the clean install but not foolproof!

Sent from my iPad Air using IPF

Last edited:

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Glad to hear of the improvements. Seems it is software related then? My diagnostics and usage list is getting longer and longer. Not all crash reports but some are starting to show up. I did a restore from my iPad 2 back up which is probably a bad idea considering how old it is but I had a lot of data from apps that I would otherwise have to email it in or Dropbox it in. That would be supper time consuming. However, if I feel my performance is not up to par I'm glad doing a clean set up as new just might help which I would certainly do.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I restored my Air, to new didn't use backup.
This is second day now and I see no issues, I haven't had a Single crash and battery life improved.
I must have had something installed or had bad settings on on my iPad 3 that we're conflicting with the Air

Another thing I noticed is that when I would tap a link from a web page or Facebook, I had to double tap to make it go, single tap now
Also when I tapped on a link that took me to a video YouTube or other, the screen would fade in really small then go back to normal, since the restore those issues have disappeared

I so blame my initial issues to something brought over with the iPad 3
Glad to hear you have solved your problem, last night i cleared my cookies and history to see if that helps.

OP
panchucko

panchucko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, on the third day I started getting safari crashes again, it is happening when on Facebook and replying to a thread and trying to attach a photo to the comment. I can make it happen at will.

I hear 7.0.4 is out I may upgrade now

Most reactions

Latest posts